R 35 gearbox

Begonnen von cwf, 22 November 2021, 19:32:10

« vorheriges - nächstes »

cwf

Hello, I have an R 35 in bits and, maybe one day? Anyhow, one of the first steps will be to clean and check the gearbox.  I think the first step is the big bronze bush on the clutch side, I presume it's an interference fit. I have two gearboxes and the one I won't use has marks where someone has tried to disassemble it, using a flat screwdriver to drive out the bush.
Does anyone know how hot I can heat the box, so as not to cause any damage? And where can I apply pressure to drive the bush out?
Many thanks, Charlie.

cwf

Herculestom

Hi Charlie,

suggest you put that thing into the oven of your wife. She'll love you for this. 120 degrees.

Cheers
Tom
umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu

cwf

That's fine : in this house I do the cooking, she goes out to work - the joys of being retired.

Thanks, Charlie.

OBS

I also had this condition for 2 years. Now my wife is also at home.
For cleaning the parts, the dishwasher is great.
Do it.
Der Schmied braucht Hammer und Computer

Herculestom

Zitatin this house I do the cooking, she goes out to work - the joys of being retired.

In April 2022 my time will come, being a pensioner. My wife, pre-retired since about 30 years, will carry on cooking (and cleaning the kitchen). ;D
umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu

BSA Bob

Retirement's great, I can recommend it to all. It gives one lots more time to play around with old motorbikes in the shed.

Karl

... still having 22 more years till retirement. Can anyone tell me the right numbers for the lottery on saturday?
Support this Board: Wer das Forum unterstützen möchte, kann das gerne per PAYPAL machen. Und hier findet Ihr meine Amazon Wunschliste.

Herculestom

Only yesterday I went to see my Sangoma. After smoking funny stuff, burning weeds and throwing bones he disclosed the following:

eins   3  five siebenundzwanzig   35   fiftynine

Now the meaning becomes clear to me. Karl, GOOD LUCK!
umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu

cwf

Sangoma = accountant?

cwf

OK, back to nuts and bolts, but I must say, there are some advantages to being younger.

Anyway, the bronze bush (bearing holder) I have removed. I think it was difficult because someone had used bearing fit adhesive. The next problem is on the other end of the main shaft, the speedo drive gear. This must be removed to dismantle the gearbox. I think this is an interference fit. I have tried heat. There is very little space to lever the gear away from the bearing. Anyone have any ideas?

rolf.soler

I did several parts in the kitchen oven...
however, I finally bought an old kitchen oven for the workshop....usually available for ~50 $ (US...) or free, these are regularly ripped out when houses get renovatdt and land on eBay small advertisements. A goof invetition for heating housings of gearbox, Engine , cyilnder heads, hubs, chaincovers, bearings etc.

cwf

I took the box to a friend with oxy/acetylene and that, combined with sharpened screwdrivers and some violence, succeeded. The speedo drive gear has blued, so maybe the temper has been affected.

The next problem was how to remove the mainshaft. The layshaft gears prevented the mainshaft removal. We finally managed to drive the output bearing out but still no joy. So, we drove the layshaft axle out from the clutch side, those gears dropped and allowed the mainshaft removal. Beware the spacers on both shafts.

Now to see if I can work on the good gearbox without damaging anything.

Charlie.

cwf

The speedo drive on the 'good' gearbox needed even more heat than on the 'bad' box, so everything is blued now. The mainshaft diameter is 20.0mm, the internal diameter of the speedo drive is 19.9mm, on both gearboxes. Now to use the oven - hope it will be enough.

cwf

Some progress. Now I have an engine gasket set from MMM. The gasket provided for the gearchange cover is 120mm wide, the opening on both my gearboxes is 100mm. Looking at the photos, I think the opening on the foot-change (R 35/3) model is 120mm. Can someone measure for me?

Thanks, Charlie.

OBS

Hi Charly,

The gasket for the manual transmission measures 125 x 100 mm.
Der Schmied braucht Hammer und Computer

cwf

Yes, that is what I have. But the gasket provided by MMM is 133mm long (wheel to wheel) and 120 mm wide. I suspect that is correct for footchange but not handchange gearboxes.