BMW 1954 R25/3 Speed record 81.116 MPH / 130.544 KPH record set at Ohio ECTA

Begonnen von DanMay, 26 Mai 2012, 02:13:15

« vorheriges - nächstes »

DanMay

I wanted to let everyone know that we have set a new absolute fastest land speed record of 81.116 MPH / 130.544 KPH at the new ECTA land speed racing venue in Wilmington OH in the Production Vintage 250cc class.  We built a brand new 1954 R25/3 for the event, focusing on horse power in every aspect of the engine build.  Will will be traveling to the Bonneville Salt flats later this year to test the bike on the salt.

You can read more here http://vintagebmw.org/v7/node/9015

Daniel

DanMay

BenW

Congratulations, Daniel!!! That's quite an achievement!

Would you mind sharing any of your 'secret sauce' for this bike with us?

Cheers,
BenW

berndr253

May be a "stormy sunday" in Wilmington (see the black clouds  ;) ;) )? Nevertheless more than a very good value for that "old girl" with its new heart - indeed we are interested in getting more information about preparing that engine. Did the engine run with methanol or another fuel than gasoline??

Regards

Bernd
Leben und Leben lassen

Taz

Hello Daniel.

Thanks for sharing your success with us...and on top of going like a bomb your R25/3 is a real beauty as well...great job :applaus: !

Best regards, Taz
Ich hab noch nie einen Sarkasmus vorgetäuscht

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)
Cymru "Radnor Revivals" (2016)
Alba "Isle of Skye" (2013)
Austria Großglocknerhochalpenstrasse (2012)
Alba "Spittal of Glenshee" (2011)

rolf

Ach schade....da würde ich gerne mitwörkeln und denken....naja.

DanMay

I followed the same basic steps we used on the first bike.  You can find those steps here http://bmw-einzylinder.de/forum/index.php?topic=8512.0.  We ran on gasoline, that is required for the Production class.  You must use gasoline sold at the track to make sure everyone is running the same gas.

We made a few notable changes, specifically running the sport camshaft.  As with any engine, the secret is getting it to "breath" better, so we spent a considerable amount of time working on the flow in the carburetor body, and the intake and exhaust passages.  We also lightened the valve train to avoid valve float at higher RPM's.  We ran the stock gearing.

Daniel

Aaron

Hey there Bernd,

with that 298ccm engine our R's can much faster ;D isn't it?

I could immagine that this speed on a R is an amazing feeling...
Are there any vids on Youtube?
Oldschooldriver - bei jedem Wetter !!! *vroaaaam*

Sirtoby

Hi Daniel,

nice work, cool bike and awesome dresscode on a vintage bike  ;D 8) Like the handlebar as well! May I Ask how hard did you guys lightend the fly wheel? Is the engine still running good at lower RPMs? Which ignition did you install?  :schrauber:

Cheers Tobi
Heb nicht ab vom Acker, ohne deinen Tacker...

DanMay

I am running the stock ignition, 6 volt coil and points.
I am running a lightened flywheel, see the attached picture.  The lightened flywheel does make it harder to kick start.  With 10:1 compression, it tends to kick back when kick starting it.  I often just push start it. 

The bike runs very well at all RPM ranges, and performs well in traffic and on the open road.  I do not have a current video, but here is an older one

Daniel

Aaron

Awsome :juhuu: this R kick some butts :prost:
Really nice vid. I love this kind of "slow accelleration" in the beginning.
If youre an owner of a faster bike it looks foolish - but for us its pretty fast ;D

And: nice suit, but the helmet wont fit to this vintageoutfit ;)
Oldschooldriver - bei jedem Wetter !!! *vroaaaam*