Email-Anfrage

Begonnen von Karl, 11 September 2005, 13:58:24

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Karl

Hallo Allerseits,

ich habe kürzlich eine Anfrage von einem Herrn John Jensen aus Californien via Email erhalten. Vielleicht kann ihm da jemand eine kompetente Antwort geben?

Grüße,
Karl

Anfrage:

Dear Carl:

Forgive my English, bitte.

I am installing needle bearings in my rocker arms on a 1958 BMW single and have a serious question about the weep hole.  I am not sure what it is there for. 

The same rocker arm casting was used in twins and singles, like the R50 and the R26.  The R50 supplied oil to the cylinder head by gravity via the lifters and push rods.  The twins lubricated their rocker arm bushings with splash oil falling into a funnel at the upper end of the rocker shaft.  The weep hole doesn't seem to have any purpose in the twins unless perhaps it was used as a manual lubrication point during maintenance.

The singles used pressure-fed oil to their rocker shaft with one flat side to provide oil to the bushings.  The same weep hole is blocked by a bushing, although some oil could get out at that point.  Is the weep hole there for the sake of the singles?  Is it to provide more cylinder head oil?  Is it there to  permit air to escape so oil can reach every internal rocker location?  Does it provide oil on the rocker surface that clings to the cast iron and works its way out to the push rod and valve stem?

The end clearance at the rocker arm body is to be 0.1-0.2 mm on the twins.  Their cylinder heads are well supplied with oil from the lifters and pushrods.  The end clearance for the singles is spec'd at 0.2-0.5 mm.  I'm assuming this is to supply splash oil for the valves, guides, rocker tip, pushrod and lifters, since there is no other source.  I may close up the original weep hole, but could drill another at a nearby location if I knew what the purpose for it actually is.  What is that weep hole for really?

I would truely appreciate your expert advice.

Veilen danke.

john jensen
kensington, california
chanjens@pacbell.net
Support this Board: Wer das Forum unterstützen möchte, kann das gerne per PAYPAL machen. Und hier findet Ihr meine Amazon Wunschliste.

Karl

Support this Board: Wer das Forum unterstützen möchte, kann das gerne per PAYPAL machen. Und hier findet Ihr meine Amazon Wunschliste.

Rütz

Hi John,

forgive my bad english... ;D
I try to answer, though i have no proven truth, but just my opinion and expierience to offer.

I think nearly all of your assumptions are right:

• the oil circuit of the singles (like the early twins) is quite pressureless. The Oil is pumped to the cylinderhead but without pressure.
    Therefore the lubrication-circumstances are similar. 
  • Slide bearings, which are lubricated without pressure very often have a weep hole on top (see also the upper conrod bearing!).
  • the oil comes to the bearing surfaces chiefly by gravity and capillary effects.
    This is facilitated by the weep hole: More free flow and air bubles ("Luftpolster") in the bearing gap can move out freely.
  • The end clearance for the single- rockers is spec'd at 0.02-0.06 mm! I don't know the values for the twins.
  • I'ld say the weep hole has to be somewhere at the top, but has no exact position
  • probably needle bearings need no weep hole at all
  • I think most of the oil that "clings to the cast iron and works its way out to the push rod and valve stem" comes through the side end clearances of the rockers

• It's a quite interesting question, i hope others will answer too....

Greetings
Anselm
I never dared to be radical when young.
For fear it would make me conservative when old. (Robert Frost)

rolf

Oh yes, I will ;D
Anselm, how should the oil go pressureless to the Rockerarms? by gravity of the moon? ;D

Since the /3 the oil goes , nearly directly, from the oilpump,
through the cylinder (through the little "pipeline" (opposite to the "Stößel"),
at the contactpoint to the Head, it was divided in 2 "pipelines" going to the bolts which held the head (1 of each side),
now it was pressed upwards between bolts and head to the rockerarms
there it leaves the gap (between bolt and head) and was pressed to the side into the arms,
there it leaves the rockerarms through th gaps and the hole.

You can see (where the oil is coming from) it at the Pictures from Thomas and his 20mm "new" oilpump, oiling the outlet-valve.
Forgive my pidgin-english ;D
Rolf D(english)

† odeon8

exactly, Rolf, it´s here.

Thomas
HUBRAUMISTDURCHNIXZUERSETZENAUSSERDURCHNOCHMEHRHUBRAUM

Garnet Grylls

Thomas:

I see you used the extra oiler only on the exhaust valve. Is it just for cooling? When I took apart my R26 I found very little oil on the intake side. I was planning on doing the extra oiler on both valves, but am worried that the intake mlght suck in some oil with that much on it. 

I should test my new (used) 15mm oilpump first, yes? ;)

Garnet

Rütz

Oh mann Rolf..., wenn du schon mein Englisch nicht verstehst... ::) ;D

Ich weiß doch wie der Ölkreislauf funktioniert.
Ich wollte nur darlegen, daß der Öldruck (im Gegensatzt zu Gleitlagermotoren) ausgesprochen gering ist. Und deswegen Kapillarkräfte evtl. eine größere Rolle spielen um das Öl auch in die letzte Ritze "of the bearing surfaces" zu bekommen.

Immerhin kann man, selbst mit Akkuschrauber an der Ölpumpe, bei abgenommenem Zylinderkopf einfach den Finger auf die Steigleitung legen und es kommt überhaupt nichts mehr nach oben (spritzt dann nur stärker auf Steuerkette und Schleuderscheibe).

Vielleicht habe ich übertrieben (mit "pressureless") :-\\...

Aber ich könnte mir vorstellen, daß --ohne diese Bohrung-- im oberen Teil der Kipphebellagerung (die ja besonders belastet ist) ein Luftpolster verbleibt oder einfach der Ölfluß nicht ausreichend ist (wegen der "Gravity of the Earth" :P ;D).

So jetzt habe ich einfach mal 'ne Zeichnung mit Paint zusammen geschustert, ich hoffe verständlicher...

Anselm T(echnischer Zeichner von Babylon)

I never dared to be radical when young.
For fear it would make me conservative when old. (Robert Frost)

† odeon8

Garnet:

it IS for extra cooling - and additionally for lubricating the exhaust valve shaft.
I found that not very much oil gets to the push rods and valve stems - both rockers are spreading the oil around, but not to the important points.

Investigating my spare part pool i found 3 different rocker types:

1. without weep hole (right)
2. with weep hole  (mid)
3. with weep hole and a pipe attached to the rocker shaft....?! (left)

Look here:

The weep hole is located exactly between the two rocker arms - and this spreads the oil to them !

I think this is the correct version to be used in an upstanding cylinder head, and any additional channel like mine on top of the rocker mount will be unneccessary...

Besides: Trying to add a weep hole in the rocker ended up in a desaster: They are hardened and you will need a 2mm carbide drill bit and a precision boring machine to add this hole  :o

Thomas O(il Baron)

rolf

Hallo Thomas,
bezog sich dein "?" hinter rocker-shaft auf den englischen Ausdruck oder auf den Kipphebel?
Anselm, besser und eindeutiger (und richtiger): "nearly pressureless", davon ab, ich hatte mich schon gewundert das du (ausgerechnet du!) den Ölkreislauf nicht drauf hattest.
Gruß
Rolf D(ictionary)
PS for garnet: the german parts of the discussion are senseless humour between insiders and I am not able to translate .

† odeon8

Hallo Rolf,

das bezog sich auf dieses komische Rohr am Ende der Kipphebelachse - macht für mich irgendwie keinen Sinn, das Teil.....

Thomas

rolf

Gott sei dank, dann kann ich wieder klugscheißen,
das ist ein Kipphebel für die 25/2, da ist die Ölversorgung anders:
Bis zum Zylinderkopf ist sie gleich wie bei den Nachfolgern, aber im Kopf wird das Öl durch 2 Steigleitungen/Bohrungen (und eben nicht durch den Spalt zwischen Kipphebelschraube und kopfbohrung) zu den Kipphebeln geführt.
Die Steigleitung endet als Loch im Kopf (oben) neben den Kipphebelständerbuchsen, da wird dann dieses gekrümmte Röhrchen eingeführt und...schwupps... bekommt der Kipphebel sein Öl.
Nebenbei: deswegen benötigt der /2 Zylinder auch keinen Sacklöcher, eben weil da kein Öl durch die Bohrungen fliesst (wie bei der /3-27). Und wegen der Durchgangslöcher (Achtung: Wiederholung) kann man den /2 Zylinder auch nicht für die /3 benutzen (Ich höre jetzt schon das "KLICK" bei manchen im Forum ;D), jedenfalls nicht  ohne Umbaumaßnahmen die den Ölaustritt verhindern.
Rolf K

Hauptmenü

Anleitungen & Bücher Baureihe Specials Startseite Vergleichsliste

Presse & Wissen

Bauzeiten & Stückzahlen Historisches Liste der BMW Modelle Presseberichte Prospekte & Plakate

Foren & Literatur

Bildergalerie Bildtafel-Suche Forum: Boxerforum Handbücher Servicedaten

Allgemeine Infos

Bildtafelsuche Glossar Impressum Kontakt Sitemap

Tipps & Service

Dienstleister Händler Märkte & Museen Tipps Verschleißteile & Werkzeuge