Scary Ride on R25/2!!

Begonnen von Kurt in S.A., 23 Januar 2011, 02:57:14

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Kurt in S.A.

Thought I'd share!

On the way back from the gas station, I began to hear something. I slowed down and couldn't figure out where the noise was coming from. It sounded like badly meshing gears or something. The left-hand headlight mirror had come loose and was kind of freewheeling. I grabbed it but it didn't seem to make a difference.  I crept along slowly and cut my trip short. I didn't go very fast...now I'm really holding traffic up!

I finally get into the neighborhood to the top of the hill...that's all I can take. I shut it off and walked/coasted the rest of the way home. I removed my helmet and ear plugs, restarted the bike, but couldn't really hear anything terribly wrong. I go ahead and tighten up the headlight mirror and put the bike away.

A little gas had sloshed out on the top of the tank on the way home, so I went back out to clean that up. As I was doing that, I hit the tool tray lid...it's loose. I shake it some...holy cow, that sounds a lot like the noise! Actually, it seems like the screw for the lid had backed out. I got out the key and secured the lid.

I'm virtually certain that was it. Gads that was scary!  :kopfhau:   :bike:

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.

Kurt in S.A.

Kurt in S.A.

berndr253

Hi Kurt,

seems, that you have had a lot of luck - the "sound" would have caused by a bundle of terrible reasons which can't be named here. In fact that tool-box is a thing which nobody really needs. Too small to put useful things inside (like tools) and reduce the volume of that small fuel-tank.

When I built up my bike long time ago I thought about to cut it out and close it by welding. But after some tests welding very thin material I discard that change.

Regards

Bernd
Leben und Leben lassen

Schoki

Hallo,
i like this short stories.  
I can learn a little bit english, and "interessant" is it too.

"Gruß" Schoki   8)
A Bikers work is never done.

Kurt in S.A.

Zitat von: berndr253 am 23 Januar 2011, 10:40:00the "sound" would have caused by a bundle of terrible reasons which can't be named here.

Bernd -

I'm sure you can imagine the things that were going through my head as I crept along, head going side-to-side trying to get a fix on the noise location.  Do I stop or do I keep going?  If I can only make it to here...etc.  I was hoping that whatever it was wouldn't require any of this -  :schrauber: - ie, wrenching!

The next ride will tell the truth!

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.

berndr253

Kurt,

I hope, that the noise is "fixed" by the "unfitted" toolbox!

On the other hand - gear mechanism is very interesting to see and can be repaired - ever, often, sometimes  ;D. Indeed "we can", what means with a "little help of my friends" things will turn to good account.

All the best

Bernd
Leben und Leben lassen

schraubenkoenig

alles wird gut!

everything will be fine !  Believe me!!

guyfang

Kust!

Last year I was riding with my kids and we were going through some small German towns, late and it was getting dark. I noticed that someone had a REAL loud sounding bike in our group. Man was it load! All at once, the kids, riding fast bikes took off and I slowed down to look at a young filly. THEN I noticed it was ME with the load bike! I looked down, and the exhaust pipe was about ready to fall off. As I am one of the people who has enough tools to sink a battle ship on board, I fixed it fast. The kids thought I had dropped off the face of the earth, turned around and started looking for me. Scared the hell out of me! Thought the engine was going to explode. Two screw were loose, that all.

Guy

sigi_rs

Hi Kurt,

the tool box cover is one of my favorite noise producer on my R25/3. When I pull my knee to the cover, everything is quite. But one time I got a problem, when I lost the hinge pins. My cover lapsed off and my tools, too. I was on a road with guard railings on both sides. No emergency lane so it was impossible to stop.
I had to drive to the next possibility for parking and had to collect my tools and the cover from the road. But some tools were knocked over by cars.

So don't worry. If you hear the noise, everything is on its place and ok.

Greetings
Joerg

Kurt in S.A.

Alles ist gut!  :applaus:  I had to find out...plus the weather was nice after work.  I took it for a spin...quiet as a....well, as an R25/2 can be!  I know she vibrates, so I'd better keep up with things.  Let this be a lesson to me!

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.

euro518

Lots of interesting anecdotes. A good friend of mine told me on more than one occasion that his '72 Guzzi only sounds good with ear plugs in.

Having said that, I've had a similar thing happen on one of my first trips out with the R26. The exhaust ring loosened itself and was about to rattle off and slide down the header pipe. I caught it just in time. For those of you following earlier threads, this was the same time I was trying to figure out why my battery was being over-charged.

-Kevin
Saskatoon, Canada