Synthetic Oil

Begonnen von wb7nzg, 23 Juli 2005, 05:07:00

« vorheriges - nächstes »

wb7nzg

Because I have an R26 that I want to restore I have been wondering if it is possible to use synthetic oil in such a machine? Or would this destroy the seals?

Does anyone have experience with this?

Richard in Tampa Florida
Richard

wb7nzg

Richard

Garnet Grylls

Hello Richard

Synthetic oils are very uniform in molecular structer compared to conventional oil. Think of regular oil as made up of golf balls, base balls, basket balls, soccer balls,  marbles and everything in between.  Synthetic is made up of only tennis balls. If your seals old seals have the play to allow the tennis balls through they will leak. With regular oil the the soft ball and bigger molecules will be stopped and very little or no oil will elak through. The synthetic oil does not degenerate the seals.

This is a gross over simplication but also helps explain why synthetic reduces friction.

I used synthetic in the engine and gearbox of my R26 the last couple of years (old seals) and found little evidance of leaking when I tore down last month.

Garnet

Kiwi-Kai

Great explanation!!!!!!!!! simple and conceptional

I personal had probs in the past with synthetic oils - leaky seals.

See ya

wb7nzg

Hello Garnet and Kiwi-Kai,

Thank you both for your replies. After reading your explanation which I think is a great way to explain oil I think I am encouraged to try it when the time comes.

My main concern is how to get the old oil out of the machine. The R26 has been sitting in my father's basement since 1964 with the same old oil in it. My father does turn the engine over every month and it still feels good. The compression feels good and it feels smooth when pushing on the starter lever.

The engine needs to be taken apart and restored I am sure but first I need to get the old oil out. How do you think would be the best way to do that? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Best regards from Tampa Florida - Richard

Oh yes, I can read German very well and speak it too but writing it is another story. If you feel more comfortable replying in German that is okay with me. On the other hand if you want to practice your English that is fine too. Thanks for your help.
Richard

Heiko

Hi Richard,

over this long distance there are maybe to many impurities in the engine. I think the best way is to dismantle the motor and clean it conscientious. Especially the oildrillings and the slingshotdisc (>Schleuderscheibe  ???, in the repair manual it is called oil throwerring).
By the way you can check the bearings and the oil seals of the crankshaft and the camshaft.

Heiko
Ariel motorcycles... upon which the sun never sets.

wb7nzg

Hello Heiko,

Yes I know you are right. The machine will have to be taken apart. I just wonder how much, if any, of the 40 year old oil will drain out first?

If I do the work myself I wonder if it would be good to try and drain the old oil first. Then perhaps it would be good to put a very light oil in and flush as much dirt and oil slude out. After that take the pan off and start taking the engine apart.

What do you think?  Also I am wondering if this is work I can do myself. I am fairly skilled at mechanics but I am concerned about any special tools needed.

Best regards - Richard
Richard

Garnet Grylls

Hello Richard

The oil pan comes off very easily. If you damage the gasket you can make a temporary one from silicone (not too much) or gasket paper. There will probably be a layer sludge inside that you want to clean.

While the pan is off you want to see which crank you have. 56 to sometime in 58 had an aluminum connecting rod that ran dierectly on the crankpin. It failed very early and BMW discontinued the replacment.
The entire crank assembely was supposed to be replaced with the later version that was balanced for the steel con rod and roller bearing. Most just replaced the old aluminum rod with the steel rod and the bikes viberate very badly.

Go to motrrad-stemler.de and find page 12 of the R26/27 catalouge. They have a good profile drawing of the two different crank webs. "B" is what you want to find.

Ed Korn at cycleworks.net sells a video and all the tools you need. I made a puller plate (piece of steel with lots of holes and some 6mm threaded rods) that did most of it. I was able to borrow a high quality 3 jaw puller for the crank timming sprocket.

Garnet

sjeuf12

Zitat von: Garnet Grylls am 25 Juli 2005, 05:01:56
Hello Richard

Ed Korn at cycleworks.net sells a video and all the tools you need. I made a puller plate (piece of steel with lots of holes and some 6mm threaded rods) that did most of it. I was able to borrow a high quality 3 jaw puller for the crank timming sprocket.

Garnet

Garnet,
could you please add a picture/dwg of that tool in the home made tool section?
http://www.bmw-einzylinder.de/forum/index.php?topic=1549.msg13245#msg13245

Thanks,
Ser

wb7nzg

Hello Garnet,

Thank you very much for so much useful information. You have greatly encouraged me and perhaps I will try to do most of the work myself. Some things I will have to have done of course but if I can do most of the dirty work that should keep the cost down.

I checked out the links and the tools picture. It really does appear that most of the tools one can make from common materials. That is very encouraging. I work at a place that has an auto hobby shop where I could go to get any special tools, like a big gear puller for example.

I did not know it was so easy to pull the pan off. That is very encouraging. At least I can get a look at things inside and then decide how I want to proceed.

If you are curious about my R26 story then check out the thread I started about a disc brake. I just wrote a short history of my bike there that you might find interesting.

Best regards from Tampa Florida - Richard
Richard

Garnet Grylls

Hello Ser

I have almost no computer skills. The couple of tools I have made look much like yours, excpept that I used them on my /2 as well. One plate has so many holes in it, it looks like cheese from Switzerland. I don't evan remember what they all do untill I start useing it.

Hey Richard,

I highly recomend Ed Korn's video as a manual.  Watching it a couple of times will give you a good idea what you can make for tools. It is a very rewarding project to do. And as you know there are a lot of helpfull freinds here to help you along.

PS: Great story about the cross country trip in the 60s. Lets hear some more. :applaus:

Garnet

Karl

Hello Garnet,

I heard several times about this video from Ed Korn.

Can you tell me who this guy is and where I can get this video?
Is it really so helpful? Has anyone a copy?

Kind regards,
Karl
Support this Board: Wer das Forum unterstützen möchte, kann das gerne per PAYPAL machen. Und hier findet Ihr meine Amazon Wunschliste.

Garnet Grylls

Hello Karl

Ed Korn has a website http://www.cycleworks.net  (Wow I made a link work :o) He makes and sells BMW tools that are very simple and work better than most Matra tools, but a bit expensive. His videos are designed for ametures with basic skills. If you have pulled a crank before there will be little new in it. If you have never done it before it is well worth watching. As I said earlier I was able to impovise my own tools just from watching.

If I was not in the middle of my engine rebuild I would lend you mine. Maybe in the fall when I am done. ;D

Greetings
Garnet