Oldtimer Paint / Lackierungen

Begonnen von Dave, 26 März 2006, 03:36:59

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Dave

I've been scratching around this forum in the German language sections looking for information on the original painting of R25's.

Can you clarify or confirm the following:

- Most metal parts were primed with Red Oxide primer (RAL 3009 Oxiderot)?
- The topcoat colour was RAL 9005 Tiefschwarz?
- The original paint was 2K Acrylic (two pack)?
- By the 1950's BMW would have been spraying the black, hand lining the stripes?

...and from your experience, those of you using 2K Acrylics, which brands do you prefer?

Tank stripes - I found this post (fantastic!).

Thanks in advance, Dave.

Dave

Dave

PS: Is the white on the stripes Signalweiß RAL 9003?

- Dave H(horribly obsessive about paint).

Heiko

Hi Dave,

oh yes, we´ve got a lot of threats about the colour of old BMW´s... look here:

(sorry, mostly in german)

http://www.bmw-einzylinder.de/forum/index.php?topic=115.msg4811#msg4811

http://www.bmw-einzylinder.de/forum/index.php?topic=1539.msg21058#msg21058

http://www.bmw-einzylinder.de/forum/index.php?topic=1276.msg9923#msg9923

The primer could has been RAL 3009, but i think it is not really important, because you will paint it with another colour later... The primer was called "Bleimennige" in german, it was a very good primer, but it is not allowed to use anymore, because it contains a lot of lead!

RAL 9005 "Tiefschwarz" is correct and it was sprayed, the white colour for the stripes is RAL 9001 "Cremeweiß" and they were hand lining! I don´t know, if the original paint was 2K in the 50´s, i think 2K comes up in the late 60´s :Frage:

On my R 27 i used Spiess & Hecker 2K colours... it looks really good... see the pics in the "Baureihe"-section and then click on the R 27 pics.

Heiko
Ariel motorcycles... upon which the sun never sets.

Dave

Thanks Heiko,

I struggled through the threads with a translator. I've updated my list:

RAL 3009 Oxiderot
RAL 9001 Cremeweiß
RAL 9005 Tiefschwarz
RAL 9006 Weißaluminium (what would this be for?)

Fortunately the Spiess & Hecker paints are available here in Australia, I'm sure they will be available via RAL numbers. I'm going to have trouble finding a hand liner though.

- Dave.

Heiko

Zitat von: Dave am 26 März 2006, 15:33:07

I think for the stripe on the R 25/2 rims an maybe the houses of the shock absorbers.

Heiko

BenF

Hello Dave,

I think that on the r25/3 the RAL 9006 Weißaluminium  was used for the generator cover, prior to the /3  I believe the cover was painted black.
If you think of a good DIY method for striping, let me know!!!!!

Regards
Ben

Thanks Heiko,

I struggled through the threads with a translator. I've updated my list:

RAL 3009 Oxiderot
RAL 9001 Cremeweiß
RAL 9005 Tiefschwarz

Fortunately the Spiess & Hecker paints are available here in Australia, I'm sure they will be available via RAL numbers. I'm going to have trouble finding a hand liner though.

- Dave.

Heiko

Oh yes,

that´s right... for the generator cover... thanks Ben  :blumen: ;)

Heiko

sjeuf12

Hub-covers also perhaps?

Dave

Thanks for all, its a big help. The aluminium colour is obvious now that you mention it  :Frage:

Pin stripes for Ben: I think I may be in the same boat as you, I don't like my chances of getting a good hand striping job done here. I think truck detailers may be my only hope.

If I cant get the job done by hand (just had to retype that section!!) I will have a mask made. You know the ones that are three parts:

- The mask itself
- Paper covering the adhesive side of the mask
- Paper carrying or supporting the shape of the mask

The paper covering the adhesive side comes off and the mask is positioned on the tank, then the "supporting" paper is removed and the Cremeweiß applied.

Remove the mask carefully while the paint is still wet to allow the edge to flatten a little not forming a sharp edge (very hard to do without wrecking the job).

The masks are easy to get made and cheap. You would just have to cut the centre out to clear the knee pad mounts. The person cutting the mask would simply mirror the original to create the other side.

I have an old colleague who does this so I will price it out for you if you like the idea.

- Dave.

rolf

It would be good to know which R25 you mean.
Because R25-R25/2 (first and 2. edition)- R25/3 are different , also in painting.

RAL 9006- oilpan

Dave

I keep forgetting to mention that Rolf, Ben has told me make sure I state the model  :kopfhau:

Mine is a R25/3, 1954. It would be good to hear about the other models too, this forum is like a database of information so hopefully this will help someone in the future when they click the "Suche" button.

- Dave.

BenF

Hi Dave,

I've thought about buying the correct striping brushes and trying to do the pin striping by hand but I just don't have the confidence that i could do a satisfactory job.
I bought some of the 3m elastic masking tape and tried to build a template, but it's just too hard to get the lines evenly gapped. So I think if you could get a template done that would be great! If  you decide to go that way just let me know the price and I could send the money to you. If it's successful it could solve a common problem for a lot of people.

Best regards
Ben

Dave

I'll put some time into it this week Ben, my first thoughts are that the stripes would have to be as far around to the "sides" of the tank as possible.

- Dave.

BenF

Hello Dave,

I studied my tank today and can see that it would be rather tricky getting a stencil made especially for the area under the knee pads, there isn't a lot of room to work with. However i guess that once the stencil is made one could run-them-off at will. I'm assuming that the stencils would be cut on some sort of CAD system, therefore once the dimensions are correct just push a button, sounds easy I know ;-)
Dave that's great if you can devote some time to it.

Ben