Main light

Begonnen von arth, 18 März 2008, 17:20:52

« vorheriges - nächstes »

arth

Hi:

Long time since I do not post here, I have found that my R23 has to his original headlight, this is what I have

I can get its original light, but my doubt is if I can still use the speedometer (Tako), a new one cost a lot so I want to save some money using the one I have now

Rgds Thanks

Arth

arth

tassilo (inkognito)

Hello Arth.

I don't know about the strictly mechanical side of things, i.e. whether the current speedometer wil fit into the original head light housing (diameter), but no-one ever mentioned differences between the various models here so I assume that's alright.

From a "can use or not" perspective I would recommend to have a look at the table's speedo section..the most important thing here is the "w"-value.

This "w" value indicates the ratio between speedo shaft rotations and displayed speed...if the current speedo (looks like a R24 or R25(/0) to me, btw, for max speed is 120 km/h) shows the same value as the one needed for your R23 then you can use it, of course.

The value for the R23 is missing in the table, but the R24 needs a w=1.0 speedo...and that machine is basically an after-WWII-clone of the R23...so chances are that BMW has left that parameter unchanged (it depends on wheel diameter and the gear transmission ratio of the rear wheel drive).

Good luck, Tas

JochenD

Hello Arth,

for a R23 main light you need a speedometer with bend down shaft (in Germany we call it "Winkeltacho", check ebay for pictures). Manufacturer: Veigel.
In your main light on the photo (build 1954 and later), I think its a speedometer with straight shaft mounted.

Best Regards,

Jochen

arth

Thanks Jochen, so the original is something like this??

Will this be the original??

Thanks!!

Arth

rolf

No!
But nearly the same shape(including that it is an "Winkeltacho") but never with a speedo going to 160...neither to 140km/h...it must going (?) to max 120km/h.
The sign/badge is more Jawa, Ural or something else.
Your Photo shows that you don't have understand "winkeltacho"...for this you must have made a Photo from the side ;D.
Where the cable for the speedo came out/in:
normally (after 1950 ;) in the same line as the speedohousing
Winkeltacho: cable at an winkle of (roundabout) 45° backwards

JochenD

Hi Arth,

the correct Winkeltacho is Manufacturer Veigel, Typ BMW, Scale 0-120. Please check the photo (endscale not correcht:
160->120 km/h, its an remanufactured speedometer).

Best Regards,

Jochen

rolf

Hallo,
are you sure that only Veigel is correct? What's about PS, Deuta, VDO, and others?
Rolf

rolf

??
the second isn't a Winkeltacho...I don't understand the question...you need a Winkeltacho...so, the second is not(!!!) original for your cycle..
The first should be for a R12 or R35 (it isn't!!) and blablabla...do you have literature about your BMW? A drivers manual at least?
If not (I think so)...take a look to:
Head line: "baureihe"
Then: "R23"
Then: " Betriebshandbuch"...there you could see on the 2. or 3. page a view of a R23 headlight (and you can see that it is different to your 1. e-bay item.
Rolf

arth

I see... Can anybody post here a picture of the light and tacho??, I have the a copy of owner's book and spare parts book but it is in black and white.. I suplied these documents to the webmaster of this forum so everybody can freely download them  ;)

Arth

rolf

Kruemel,
hast du nicht mal ein schönes Foto von deiner Lampe und vom Tacho, möglichst in farbe ;D und auch mal von der Seite? Ich gebe es auf ihn etwas vom Winkeltacho zu erzählen.

Arth: you can sold your 25-25/2 Tacho and your 26/27 Headlight...so you get an original Light and tacho cheaper by the difference. If you are lucky...you earn some money.
Tacho (all roundabout):50-90€
Headlight, complete without Tacho:80-160€ perhaps to 200€
Rolf

kruemel

habe ich, aber R24 hat doch 'ne besondere bauform... aber okay - das konnt ich auf die schnelle finden:
Forums "Kernkruemel" ;-)
BMW R24 und Isetta 300

arth

Thanks Rolf, in Spain they asking me 600 euros for the tacho and light :galgen: :galgen:

Kruemel, Could you send me bigger pictures to star@jet.es

Rgds

Antonio

rolf

Hast recht Kruemel...ich dachte die sind identisch...bei dir haben sie ja den Sicherungshalter eingespart und die kontrollleuchte auf die falsche seite gelegt ;D

Antonio: the Headlight from the R24 differs from the R23, as Kruemel said....mea culpa

As I see must it be nearly the same as the R25 headlight, except of the "Winkeltacho"...but this you can't see from the outside. Nevertheless a R25 headlight is very near to the original and (very) more original than your R27 Headlight.
A R25 headlight cost at e-bay roundabout 200€, you can use your Tacho.
If you sell your R27 headlight for 100€(minimum): difference 100€...I find this is ok (my Pidgin-english ;D )
I can try to find a R25 headlight here at e-bay and send you a message if it is a complete (!!) headlight with all internas...ok?
Rolf

arth

So, more or less I have the light of a R27 with the tacho of an R25??? What I mess!!, You suggest Rolf to buy a light of R25 complete, (which is quite similar to the original of the R23) which would cost more or less 200 euros and sell my light for 100 euros. Would it be possible??  :spinnt: :spinnt:

Arth

rolf

I hope!...and I think.

arth

Wolf, sorry for my late answer, I am not sure if I will get the original one or will do the combination we have discussed, I have tried asking in some shops in Germany asking for the original one, light + tacho but got no answer. I hope there in Germany where you have more bike tradition it will cost less than the 600 euros that a spanish shop is asking me

Rgds

Antonio

arth

Zitat von: JochenD am 21 März 2008, 10:27:55
Hello Arth,

for a R23 main light you need a speedometer with bend down shaft (in Germany we call it "Winkeltacho", check ebay for pictures). Manufacturer: Veigel.
In your main light on the photo (build 1954 and later), I think its a speedometer with straight shaft mounted.

Best Regards,

Jochen

Got the pictures Jochen, thanks a lot!

As I see there is no neutral, and there is a small mark in the orange light

Arth

rolf

The first with neutral light was the R25/2
Orange light: you mean the fuse Holder?
Rolf

arth

I see, Rolf, the neutral is orange in early series...

Antonio

rolf

??
neutral is the dynamo-light? I thought it is for the neutral-gear? And then always green.

arth

The red one is the dynamo not??, then the orange what is for?... I do not see any green for the neutral gear in this light.. :Frage: :Frage:

Antonio

Rütz

::)
You two are misunderstanding each other:
Rolf said:
"The first with neutral light was the R25/2" (but he didn't mean the pic's, he meant "the first light, which ever had...")
Arth did understand:
-> The first picture is showing a R25/2 light with neutral indicator.
;D

The pictures are showing R25 or older. These bikes had no neutral switch.
The device with mark (for screwdriver) is a fuse holder and no light!

Rütz
I never dared to be radical when young.
For fear it would make me conservative when old. (Robert Frost)

arth

Undestood Rütz, so my R23 does not have neutral originally.. I see.., but my R23 has it, I think they have adapted a neutral switch from younger models, as I have the R27 light actually.

I have contacted the BMW historical archives, they have confirmed my that the body and motor are originally R23, but the numbers don't fit, seems the swapped two motrobikes R23 and made a new one.

I bought it to a german doctor, he told me that he bought it as it is in 1970, he did not know much about the history of it

Arth

rolf

Mannomann, ich denke er hat das FHB...und weiß nicht mal das das Ding eine Sicherung hat?

Very funny. :-\\..
the slot is not for a screwdriver , it is more for a small coin
Once again:
left side: red light for generator/battery
right side: fuse holder
Rolf

arth

Zitat von: rolf am 02 April 2008, 11:15:08
Mannomann, ich denke er hat das FHB...und weiß nicht mal das das Ding eine Sicherung hat?

Very funny. :-\\..
the slot is not for a screwdriver , it is more for a small coin
Once again:
left side: red light for generator/battery
right side: fuse holder
Rolf

Thanks to you both.. :applaus: :applaus: If I could speak german surely I was all more clear from the begining.  :-X

Now I have to decide what to do, as I also have to change the back light as I think the one I have is not also the original... :schrauber: :schrauber:

Arth

Rütz

Zitatich denke er hat das FHB...
Yes, but in the wrong language, i think. ;D

@Arth
Your neutral switch ist interesting, i think. Could you show us some pictures?
As i know, the R20/23 have a totally different gearbox than the later models. And normally you can't use parts like the rear cover, with integrated switch, from later models.

Grets
Rütz
I never dared to be radical when young.
For fear it would make me conservative when old. (Robert Frost)

Heiko

Zitat von: Rütz am 02 April 2008, 11:05:37
-> The first picture is showing a R25/2 light with neutral indicator.

Meine Fresse ne, Anselm wo bist Du? ich seh hier kein Bild von einem R 25/2 Scheinwerfer mit Leerlaufanzeige!!  :galgen:

My Fresse ne, Anselm where are you? I don´t see here any picture of a R 25/2 headlight housing with a neutral light!  :galgen:  ;D

Heiko
Ariel motorcycles... upon which the sun never sets.

rolf

HEIKO :-X
you make it more confusing!!

arth

Zitat von: Rütz am 02 April 2008, 11:49:19
Yes, but in the wrong language, i think. ;D

@Arth
Your neutral switch ist interesting, i think. Could you show us some pictures?
As i know, the R20/23 have a totally different gearbox than the later models. And normally you can't use parts like the rear cover, with integrated switch, from later models.

Grets
Rütz

Sure, I will make more pictures as soon as I get home, It could be my engine is from another model, but a guy from the bwm historical archives confirmed me that it was from another R23

At this moment i have these pictures

Antonio