R27 Carburetor Question

Begonnen von Jambo, 14 Mai 2018, 19:39:55

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Jambo

Hello,

I have a 1/26/83 Carburetor for my R27,  The other day I took the fuel bung off the bottom to remove the carburetor for cleaning.  When I put the bung back on I noticed a leak out of the bottom of the carburetor and then noticed that the brass fitting that the bung slides over was slightly loose in the carb body.  I put a larger outside diameter red fiber washer on the bung and tightened it up and the leak went away.

To be clear, the brass fitting I am speaking of is the one the needle valve slides up into.  It is very slightly loose in the body of the carburetor.  I would say it moves .002" but enough to leak gas!

I have another carburetor, a 1/26/93, that I can use and it is not loose but I was wondering if there was a way to fix the one I have on the bike or should I just continue doing what I am doing.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Thank you!!!

James

Jambo

rolf

Hallo James,
that is the normal "death" (better:the first step) of this Carburretors...i am just wondering that it leaks Gasoline at this point....normaly it was "only" loose after tightened the nut (you can move the nut for about 20 degrees to each side after tightened) ..my english was not good enough to explain it exactly...nevertheless...the bigger diameter fiber washer was the first step to solve this problem.

OldsCool!

Hi James,

is it really loose or just shows a small step towards the housing? In case it is tight, but just a small step of the brass, you can carefully remove the step on a turning machine, if at hand  :D
I also have a very small step, but I can tackle it by carefully tighten the nut so much, that the seal gets pressed enough. Your solution is definitely better for the thread.

BR

Steffen
Ich bin auf dem Dorf aufgewachsen. Ich wurde nicht erzogen, ich habe ÜBERLEBT!

rolf.soler

loose brass inset is the beginning of a progressive and endless leaking story. Didn't believe it myself, tried with new/softer/bigger washer, sealing products, then fixed the inset with epoxy tank seal i the bowl. All helped for a short time but is palliative care.
The only cure ist to shave of a small sliver (0,1-0.2 mm or 0.04 - 0.08 '') of the brass inset lower end on a lathe, so that the brass ring is slightly deeper than the Zinc-aluminium bowl. Then the washer supports itself on the bowl and not on the brass inset. I believe there are pictures somewhere in tips.Find a fried with a lathe...or ask in the forum who does that

Jambo

Thank you very much!  If someone has a picture that would be great!!   I have a lathe and am fairly good at using it so I don't think its going to be tough but any info on how others did it would be very helpful!

Thank you for all the great information!!

James

OldsCool!

Hi James,

this is what you're looking for:

https://bmw-einzylinder.de/forum/index.php?topic=2499.msg36480#msg36480

Nice pictures, text is in German but I'm sure you can figure out with Google translator. Otherwise shout out again.

BR Steffen
Ich bin auf dem Dorf aufgewachsen. Ich wurde nicht erzogen, ich habe ÜBERLEBT!