Question to Garnet Grylls: Motorcycle insurance in Canada?

Begonnen von groovebuster, 05 August 2005, 10:11:19

« vorheriges - nächstes »

groovebuster

Well, I have question about motorcycle insurances in Canada to our canadian board member...  :)

My wife is canadian and we want to move to Canada in a few years. But there seems to be an obstacle now regarding our passion for motorcycles. My wife is from Ontario, her family is still living there. We know that our german motorcycle licenses can't be converted into canadian ones, that's only possible for car licenses. Big bummer to be considered a beginner again after more than 20 years of driving experience, but so be it...

BUT, in Ontario there is also the problem that the rates for motorcycle insurance are skyrocketing since a few years. An average insurance costs about 2000$CDN per year these days and predictions are that they will still rise in the future. I also read reports about owners of oldtimers who have problems to insure their motorcycles because bikes older than 25 years are considered show bikes and are not meant to be operated on public roads.

If things stay like this, Ontario won't be an option for us anymore, because I want to bring my motorcycles to Canada when we move and I can't pay 8000$CDN per year (for probably 4 motorcycles by then) just for the insurance. For comparison... my R26 costs 25€ insurance and 17€ vehicle tax per year here in Germany.

I know that it is different from province to province in Canada, so I would be interested to know how things are in BC, since you own two old BMWs yourself.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Christian

groovebuster

Garnet Grylls

Hi Christian,

I can give you some info now and will do some research next week and follow up then.

The province of British Columbia has a goverment owned insurance company as do a couple other provinces is Canada. Our rates tend to be a bit high but do not spike up and down like private companies do. As with all insurance your driving record has a huge influance on rates. I recieve a 45% discount (which is max. here) and that takes about 6 years to get. When I moved here they recognized my good record from another province and I recived at least a 30% discount imeadiatly.

Stock vehicles in good condition over 25 years old are eligable for "Collector" licence plates. These cost about 1/3 of regular plates.( By plates I mean registarion and basic liablity insuarance requried by law.)
"Collector" plates are for pleasure use only and do not allow for to and from work or school use. Our goverment insuance company recognizes that people with old cars and motorcycles are much more carefull and a very low risk :).

Mr R26 costs about $650 / year for a value of $4500. My /2 is about $780 for a value of $6000. This gives me  $200.000 liability plus $500 deducatble on collision,fire, theft and vandalizm. The rates are partially based on declared or agreed value so there is no argument after about how much the bike is worth.  I recieve my 45% discount off these prices.

One Euro = about $1.50 CDN

I will do some research on regular bike costs next week. I know they are based only on engine size and driving record and are about 3 times "collector" rates.

Garnet

Joerg

Man that sucks  :galgen: - I pay 55$ registration and 50$ inssurrance in the US.
Hope you find a way...

Regards, Joerg

groovebuster

Sorry that I didn't write back earlier. The flu had knocked me out over ther weekend.

So the insurance in BC is almost as expensive as in Ontario. I think 650$ is still way too much. The problem for me will be that I will be considered a beginner since I will have to redo my license and that I don't have any driving record in Canada since I never was a resident so far. I would have to pay at least the 650$ which is way too much for a little and old motorcycle like this.

Thanks for doing a little bit more research. At least you BC seems to be a little bit cheaper than ON. On the other hand buying a house will cost a little fortune in BC I guess.

Salut,

Christian

Garnet Grylls

Hi Christian!

Bad news: You do have to renew you motorcycle drivers licenses anywhere in Canada :(.

Good news: ICBC (our gov't insurance company) WILL recognize your safe driving record from Germany. If you have been claim free for 8 years you will recieve a 40% discount on vehicle insurance evan though you have a new drivers license. ;D

So the $650 is now $390. Further, most people only license their bikes for the 6 or 8 months of good ridding weather makeing $260 for March till October.  I do license one of my bikes for 12 months and the other for summer only.

To be elligable for the "collector" plates I mentioned, you MUST have one vehicle (car or bike) with regular plates on it. You may have as many collector vehicles as you ilke.

The fellow who purchased my /5 told me that they are bringing out a multi-vehicle plate for motorcycles. If you own many bikes they will recognize that you can ride only one at a time. You pay insurance for the most expensive bike and can then put that plate on any bike registerd in your name. I just remeberd this and don't know the fine print.

Hope this helps to confuse you more.

Garnet

groovebuster

Zitat von: Garnet Grylls am 10 August 2005, 23:34:13
Hope this helps to confuse you more.

Yes, it does...  :-\\

Thanks a lot. :blumen:

I'll come back to you with further questions soon...  :)

Regards,

Christian