Hello

Begonnen von Frank47_1999, 20 Januar 2020, 10:36:49

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Frank47_1999

G'day all,
Just wish to introduce myself. I'm from Melbourne Australia. I'm the third owner of a R26 purchased in 1992. I ride it averaging 71 rides a year. I'll shortly submit a few photos

Frank47_1999

OldsCool!

Welcome Frank and greetings to down under! Always a pleasure to see the BMW single enthusiasts spread all over the planet.

Best regards,
Steffen
Ich bin auf dem Dorf aufgewachsen. Ich wurde nicht erzogen, ich habe ÜBERLEBT!

Frank47_1999

Thanks  Steffen,

I bought my R26 on the spur of the moment and it is one bike I do not regret buying. It shares the garage with a R90S which I bought brand new in 1976 and a K1100RS. I'll shortly write an article about the bike.

bwprice100

Hi Frank and welcome.
I also have an R 26.
Some photos here.

https://goo.gl/photos/hR1f1Znv6rgPKoHTA

Brian  :)

Sent by me using tapety talky

Herculestom

Morning Frank,

welcome in the club. If you need advice, this will be the place.

Regards
Tom
umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu

Frank47_1999

Thanks guys for the information

Taz

Hello Frank.

Welcome to our forum and thanks for your introduction. It's always astonishing to learn how far these wee beemers are still spread over the globe more than 50 years after manufacturing had stopped.

Regards, Taz
Ich hab noch nie einen Sarkasmus vorgetäuscht

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)
Cymru "Radnor Revivals" (2016)
Alba "Isle of Skye" (2013)
Austria Großglocknerhochalpenstrasse (2012)
Alba "Spittal of Glenshee" (2011)

Jollyjester

G/Day Mate

Have you ridden  as far as the 'other side of the Black Stump yet'

Wonderful country Australia. Last time I was in 'Freeo'. 2002 , Elvis was there 'LIVE', or so it said on the poster.

R26, goes forever, until the Frame breaks, a 'design feature'. I know of at least 5 here in England.

Easily repaired. metal sleeve over the fracture, & good clean weld / braise. 

place to look is between the rubber stop for the kickstart lever r/h vertical frame tube holding the swinging arm unit.

They like to 'rev'

spares readily available. try ebay.de. for 'used' items or the main Dealers in Germany

But you cannot do better than this Forum.

30237 were produced

Robert

Archivist for The BMW Club UK&I

grahamjb

Gidday Frank
I have a R26 here in WA

GB

Frank47_1999

My R26
I wondered what I was heading into whilst test riding the BMW single. It clearly showed that it had had a hard life. Still, there was something about this bike, something that none of the bikes I have ever ridden offered. So under a clear cloudless blue sky, on the second day of February 1991, I handed over a wad of hard earned money to the smiling owner and I became the third owner of BMW R26; Frame number 346400.

The trip home was a nightmare. Wrestling with an ill handling bike, chattering front brake and a complete lack of acceleration soon had me questioning my sanity. To top it all off, at one stage, the spark plug cap decided to jump off resulting in losing spark and arcing against the frame. These things do happen by why it has to happen out in the middle lane at a major intersection? Hearing the hissing sound of air brakes when the semi-trailer stopped a few inches from the tail light is enough to cause my heart to valve bounce. I was glad to finally arrive back home and in the safety of my bike garage it was neatly parked next to my R90S and R65LS.

In the following week, accompanied by a symphony of metric tools, bruised knuckles and a few choice words that would make a sailor blush, the bike was looked at, peered over and worked on and numerous adjustments carried out. The bike hadn't had an easy life and under numerous dead bugs and cracked, peeling paint I travelled back in time to study its history.

For the first 16 years of its life it was used to round up livestock out on a farm. As the bike lacked a side stand there's a strong possibility that due to uneven ground it spent time either leaning against a fence post, a tree or on its side when not used. This all came to an end when on one faithful day it was ridden into a tree stump.

With the intention of repairing it, the owner partially disassembled the front end in a most unorthodox fashion. For example, the exhaust flange was hack sawed off due to being too tight to undo. Time passed and the owner lost the incentive to get it back running.

Around this time, 80km or so away, a university student, and as most students go, short of cash, was looking for a cheap bike. Through contacts this bike was brought to his attention. It was shall we say in a partial basket case condition. Some of the electrics were missing and lacked part of the wiring harness. One look at the bike saw the student about to walk away when the owner offered it as is just by simply taking it away. Most likely it became an eye sore. The student gladly accepted it. So in 1972 the bike got a new owner.

The bike was repaired, re-wired and briefly saw service in stop/start urban conditions. Within a short period of time due to its lack of acceleration and poor braking it was relegated to being left to gather dust in a dark corner at the back of the garage.

Eighteen years later, in November 1990 to be precise, the owner who by now owned bigger bikes fell in love with a Triumph Spitfire in need of restoration. It was time to shake off the dust cover, wheel out the bike into the sunlight and place a "For Sale' sign on it. Word among BMW riders rapidly passed around and I put my hand up. Taking pity at this unloved bike I placed a deposit on the same day but it was on the second day of February 1991 that I physically picked up the bike.  So 35 years after the bike left the factory, it found its third owner, sharing garage space with a R90S and R65LS.

In the 29 years of owning it I spent time slowly renovating it. The petrol tank which had a very nice layer of surface rust was rubbed down and resprayed. In the first week, apart from replacing the spark plug cap, it was given a complete tune up and service and fresh oil throughout. Problems and troubleshooting were welcomed as it gave me the opportunity to bring this bike to full health.

On Christmas Day 2001 I inadvertently fried the regulator when I accidentally hooked the battery back to front. A new one was replaced two weeks later. On the first day of May 2006 a R75/5 handlebar replaced the original when I spotted a crack on the left underside. At sixtieth year since leaving the production line, the bike was stripped back to the engine when the rear main seal started to leak. Apart from seal replacement new engine mounts rubbers and the drive shaft Cush Rubber were fitted. In a moment of weakness the sump was removed, cleaned and new gasket fitted. This was a wasted exercise as regular oil changes kept the area clean. An aftermarket side stand was fitted as at times placing the bike on the main stand caused my aging back to complain.

Maintenance is strictly adhered too, down to periodically manually greasing the advance point cam. As the bike doesn't have an oil filter, engine oil is changed religiously every 1000klm, with the gearbox and final drive every 5000klm.

On average I ride the bike around 71 times a year, the shortest run being 48klm through a set of deliciously tight bends to 120klm loops travelling with a mate either on his BMW R51/3 or his 1937 BSA 600 sidecar. It has also seen action at bike rallies.

It is also wheeled out at dawn on Christmas and New Year's Day for a blast through the hills while everyone is still asleep. I have travelled up to 22 kilometres before seeing another vehicle on the road.

The longest trip was to a rally, a round trip of 800klm. It was a wet, cold and windy ride on the way there and the opposite on the way home. It was here that a truck driver pulled me up and wanted to buy the bike. He, in broken English, told me that he saw one when he was 10 years old in Hungary. He said that he fell in love with it and then saw mine half a century later.  I have on numerous occasions been pulled over by both other road users and police who wanted to have a closer look at the bike. One policeman said that with me wearing a Marlon Brando jacket, open face helmet and WW2 replica googles I looked like I just fell out of a picture book. Ironically another policeman pulled me over and asked me if I could go faster. I looked at him and said "I love to be sporty mate, but she only does forty" and cracked up laughing at my own joke. His facial expression clearly showed that he wasn't amused, which resulted in me laughing even more.

A six-volt system looks after the headlight. Due to the poor light, which oozes out of the headlight, falls onto the mudguard then dribbles onto the road the bike was only ridden once at night.

On the road---- Starting the bike is easy provided a few simple steps are followed. Gently kick the bike over a couple of times with the ignition off. Open the fuel petcock and depress the plunger to prime the carburettor and then turn the engine over a couple of times still with the ignition off. Then with the ignition on and throttle partially opened and all that's required are a single kick and the engine will burst into life. A slight increase in revs, just enough to get the alternator light to go out. For the next few minutes I feather the throttle to help bring the engine to operating temperature. At the same time I enjoy listening to a single, softly emitting a sound as quiet as an apologetic cough. 

The first thing you must keep in mind when riding the R26 is you only have fifteen old neddies to play with, therefore speed is not an issue. Secondly, when approaching an incline merely opening throttle like one does on bigger, newer bikes doesn't work; forward planning is required. With that in mind I ask not how far but how many hills are in the way. About 30 kilometres from home lay a 15klm mountain cutting, a delight on any large bike. Numerous blind corners see cars slow down and fully loaded trucks their engines screaming struggling to the top. I do avoid this run but when I do go there I do approach it with some trepidation.

It didn't take long before a lower gear is selected. In third gear the bike is coached along at a steady 55-60kph. This gives me plenty of time to observe the surrounding lush greenery, towering treetops and any suicidal kangaroos. Never was there a moment so cherished as when I faced the downhill run, top gear is once again selected and at a dizzying speed of 76kph I once again enjoy sweeping round the bends. The bike for its age, offers exceptional good handling qualities.

Within moments of reaching flat level ground it's back to touring mode. At touring /cruising speed the bike is ecologically friendly, it give time for the bugs to step aside. At a steady 66 - 76kph I settle down to the joy of listening to a single cylinder engine emitting sweet running sounds. Tilting the head to the left I could hear the tappets and cam followers repetitively tapping out the same noise. A tilt of the head to the right brings only silence. On an incline when the throttle is opened, the tappets and cam followers reduced their noise quite noticeably to a mere tapping one whilst a tilt of the head to the right side brings about a panting sound from the air intake.

And this is the joy of owning a BMW single, once you're away from city and highway, find a secondary road and with time to spare indulge in the joys of motorcycling at its most basic form. The bike will take you back in time to an unhurried pace, a time when life looked easier and more relaxed.

The R26, its sights and sounds, surely a throwback to an earlier age of motorcycling!

Frank Cachia

Taz

Hello Frank.

Thanks :blumen:. ...I really can't remember if anyone even around here has ever posted an equally touching story, both going the extra mile to learn about the bike's history and showing such love and joy for the wee beemer.

All the best, Taz
Ich hab noch nie einen Sarkasmus vorgetäuscht

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)
Cymru "Radnor Revivals" (2016)
Alba "Isle of Skye" (2013)
Austria Großglocknerhochalpenstrasse (2012)
Alba "Spittal of Glenshee" (2011)

4Taktix

Hi Frank - great story and well narrated - I really enjoyed this "roadmovie" in my mind's eye  :D  :applaus:

But: If 76 kph is the top speed, there is something seriously wrong. Or was it mph ?

Cheers,
Sascha
Think outside the box !

OldsCool!

Thank you Frank for sharing this wonderful story with us! It puts everything in a nutshell what makes us so excited about our beloved Singles.
:applaus:  :respekt:

Best Regards,

Steffen
Ich bin auf dem Dorf aufgewachsen. Ich wurde nicht erzogen, ich habe ÜBERLEBT!

Frank47_1999

4Taktix

If 76 kph is the top speed--------oh no, there's a sweet spot at around the mid 70's. I've had the bike up to 95kph but vibration was quite noticeable.
Incidentally how does one upload photos?
I mentioned that I wheel her out at dawn on Christmas and New Year's Day for a blast through the hills. It's called the ..........

Dawn Patrol

The first hint of daylight
At the start of a brand new year
In the still air of dawn's early light
The R26 just like an old bi-plane
Was wheeled out, its aging paint
Matching the surrounding shadows

Ignition off, engine silently turned over
Ignition on, contact--------a light
As if woken up-------glows
A moment later, a kick
Coached into life, its muted exhaust