Non Motorcycle Question

Begonnen von Kurt in S.A., 14 Dezember 2019, 22:12:08

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Kurt in S.A.

Another "hobby" I'm involved in is collecting and working on anniversary clocks...most of them are German in origin.  From a German clock magazine in the early 1900s, there is a discussion of a patented temperature compensating pendulum.  It consisted of two bi-metallic rings with weights around the edge.  As the temperature changed, the rings would expand/contract, thus change the moment of inertia of the rotating pendulum.  In the magazine, the action was said to change the "Schwerpunkt" which Google says is "center of gravity".  I contend that when the rings expand/contract, the center of gravity remains the same...just the rotational inertia changes...like the ice skater with arms out while in a spin, then pulled in.

Is there a more precise translation of this term "Schwerpunkt"?

Thanks...Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

Kurt in S.A.

Kurt in S.A.

Stefan

Yes, you are right. Schwerpunkt is the center of gravity. The German expression for the moment of inertia, used by the inventor of the clock, is Trägheitsmoment.

Cheers, Stefan
The evil is always and everywhere!

Rütz

In other words (addition to Stefan):
The Translation is correct, but the term "Schwerpunkt" is simply wrong in this context, talking about compensating balance wheels (rotating pendulum).
The correct term in this context should be "Trägheitshalbmesser" (radius of inertia).
I never dared to be radical when young.
For fear it would make me conservative when old. (Robert Frost)

Kurt in S.A.

Thanks!  I guess the people who wrote the ads back then were more on the business side and not on the engineering side!

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

bwprice100

A lovely clock Kurt and I wish you luck.
It is on my bucket list to build a clock and I am planning to have a go at the Claude Reeve Clock as outlined in his book.

Brian

Kurt in S.A.

Brian -

I'm no where near the ability to build one of these clocks.  I'm an engineer so I like the visibility of the gearing and understanding how these things work.  In some cases, they can be quite frustrating to get them to "behave".  On anniversary clocks (winding once a year), friction is the big killer and all of the overhaul is spent trying to minimize the friction as well as proper release of power over time.  The clock I posted is one made by Hauck around early 1908.  Good luck on your project!

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.