She lives!

Begonnen von ChrisR27, 02 April 2021, 14:16:36

« vorheriges - nächstes »

ChrisR27

Hello everyone,
My R27 started last night, probably the first time in 20 or 30 years! I bought the bike at an auction so didn't know if it would run or what condition the bike was in. In the end I have replaced many parts, including the conrod assembly because both the big and little end were worn. New valves and guides were fitted too.
Although the bike runs OK after a few minutes it backfires and stops. I have checked the ignition timing with a strobe and the 'S' mark is lined up correctly at tick over. I will re-check valve clearances when the engine cools down. My suspicion is the carburetor, it's a Bing 1/26/68 and was in a really bad state. Some wrong parts were fitted, which I replaced, but some of the threads are bad and there are petrol leaks to fix. The biggest problem might be the needle valve seat, this is pressed into the float bowl housing but is loose. I can tighten the 17mm bolt that holds the fuel input fitting but it can still move as the brass valve spins in the casting. If the carb is beyond repair what are my best options? The bike will be a working machine not a collectors piece so a non-standard carb is OK for me.
I still need to sort out the charging, at the moment there is no charge. I know new brushes are needed and am thinking an electronic regulator would be a good idea. Can anyone recommend a 6v regulator please?
I usually have a project in the garage, and usually by the time the project is finished I make some beer money if I sell the bike. Not this time though, but I'm glad to have saved an old bike from a slow death.
Happy Easter everyone,
Chris.

ChrisR27

Borgward

Hi Chris,
a real good alternative to the original Bing wolud be a Mikuni VM26 caburator. Requires some adaption work but is of good quality, runs great and is inexpensive (~ 100€). There are even clones available for half the price -  I'd rather take (in fact I did) the original.

Hubi

rolf

irgendwo hatte ich doch beschrieben wie man den Messigeinsatz nachdreht...weiß jemand wo?

cledrera

ZitatRolfs Lösung mit dem Abdrehen des Randes des Messingeinsatzes ist sicherlich die eleganteste Lösung.

Elegant bebildert hier zu sehen: Klick
Orignalfred: Klick
Du bist im Recht; nun sieh zu, wie du da wieder heraus kommst. (v. Chamisso)
Lieber Einzylinder als zwei Fallschirme (v. mir)

rolf.soler

Zitat von: ChrisR27 am 02 April 2021, 14:16:36
The biggest problem might be the needle valve seat, this is pressed into the float bowl housing but is loose. I can tighten the 17mm bolt that holds the fuel input fitting but it can still move as the brass valve spins in the casting. If the carb is beyond repair what are my best options?
This is a common old Bing carb problem (as far Is I know mostly in R26/27 Bings ?). It can be repaired, but you would habe to send it to someone who knows how to do it. Probably in Germany. Ask around in the forum...
By the procedure described in the threads above, my 1/26/68 was repaired and works perfectly ever since
If you need another quick solution, you can of course buy the Mikuni, or - less quickly - try to find a R26/R27 carb (1/26/46, or 52, or 55, or 68, or 79, or 83 or 93...all these work in a R27. Preferably in the forum, or eBay. But be aware that you would probably have to spend at least 200 £, up to 250 or even 300 £ for a top piece  - more is usurious ( I had to look up that word...it's Wucher in German).
But in any case, do not throw away the Bing....if you don't want to repair it, sell in the forum, mentioning the faults... There are people who can repair virtually every Bing

ChrisR27

Thank you everyone for the comments. Some don't translate to English and although I do speak a little 'high school' German, not quite enough to be sure what is being said. It is interesting to cut and paste the German comments in Google translate! I can keep myself fed and watered in Germany :)

Regards,
Chris.

Hauptmenü

Anleitungen & Bücher Baureihe Specials Startseite Vergleichsliste

Presse & Wissen

Bauzeiten & Stückzahlen Historisches Liste der BMW Modelle Presseberichte Prospekte & Plakate

Foren & Literatur

Bildergalerie Bildtafel-Suche Forum: Boxerforum Handbücher Servicedaten

Allgemeine Infos

Bildtafelsuche Glossar Impressum Kontakt Sitemap

Tipps & Service

Dienstleister Händler Märkte & Museen Tipps Verschleißteile & Werkzeuge