1934 R2 bevel gears - Help!

Begonnen von David Grenfell, 02 Februar 2022, 15:32:18

« vorheriges - nächstes »

David Grenfell

I have a 1934 R2 series 4 which has damage to the crown-wheel and pinion in the bevel drive. I have searched ebay and visited many spare parts websites without any success. Can anyone help? No chance of ever riding the bike without these parts or the whole bevel drive.
Help!

David Grenfell

cwf

Any luck? If not, try these people : https://pasjejarka.blogspot.com/p/reoliki-czesci.html?sc=1661784122978#c7331546657126646660   you might need help from your local builder or cleaner.

Charlie.

Taz

Hello David.

You might want to look here: https://emw-oldtimer.de/Kegelradsatz-komplett-BMW-R2-2-R2-3-R2-4-R4-1-R4-2-R4-3-R4-4

seems available, in case you would need help with German or a German address to receive the parcel let me know via PM.

All the best, Taz
Ich hab noch nie einen Sarkasmus vorgetäuscht

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)
Cymru "Radnor Revivals" (2016)
Alba "Isle of Skye" (2013)
Austria Großglocknerhochalpenstrasse (2012)
Alba "Spittal of Glenshee" (2011)

David Grenfell

Zitat von: cwf am 07 September 2022, 20:07:12Any luck? If not, try these people : https://pasjejarka.blogspot.com/p/reoliki-czesci.html?sc=1661784122978#c7331546657126646660   you might need help from your local builder or cleaner.

Charlie.
Many thanks, looks like a usefull site.

David Grenfell

Thanks for the links.
Regards
David

David Grenfell

Zitat von: cwf am 07 September 2022, 20:07:12Any luck? If not, try these people : https://pasjejarka.blogspot.com/p/reoliki-czesci.html?sc=1661784122978#c7331546657126646660   you might need help from your local builder or cleaner.

Charlie.
Hi Charlie, thanks for the link. I have not come across this one before.
Since my last post I have had the gear wheels re-manufactured by Guest Gear Services in Heartfordshire. Expensive but hope all will work out once reasssembled. I have been warned off Polish replica gears by a number of contacts.
I need loads of other bits and it is the pushrod sealing rubbers which are proving difficult at the moment. These don't appear to be included in the available gasket sets!
Thanks once again.
Dave

David Grenfell

Zitat von: Taz am 08 September 2022, 01:32:51Hello David.

You might want to look here: https://emw-oldtimer.de/Kegelradsatz-komplett-BMW-R2-2-R2-3-R2-4-R4-1-R4-2-R4-3-R4-4

seems available, in case you would need help with German or a German address to receive the parcel let me know via PM.

All the best, Taz
Hello Taz,
Thanks for the link. This looks like a very useful site.
Since my last post I have had the damaged gears remanufactured and I am waiting on new bearings to begin the reassembly.
Along way to go getting this 'Barn-Find' back on the road!
Regards
Dave

cwf

What do the rubbers look like, are they like R 3, 4, 35? R 35 ones are often a piece of reinforced rubber tube, cut to size.

My R 35 rebuild is 18 months already, mostly waiting for parts to arrive and then discovering new problems.

Have you seen the R 2 engine/gearbox on ebay?

Keep at it, little bit every day,

Charlie

David Grenfell

Zitat von: cwf am 18 Oktober 2022, 22:29:01What do the rubbers look like, are they like R 3, 4, 35? R 35 ones are often a piece of reinforced rubber tube, cut to size.

My R 35 rebuild is 18 months already, mostly waiting for parts to arrive and then discovering new problems.

Have you seen the R 2 engine/gearbox on ebay?

Keep at it, little bit every day,

Charlie
Hi Charlie, Thanks for your response. I believe the sealing rubbers to be very similar across the the range, but I have not seen any for sale. As you say some robust rubber tube may serve as a seal.
I have just seen the ad you mention on ebay. My engine looks in better nick and its all there! Also a bit over priced.
Waiting for parts is quite frustrating, but luckily I have other toys to play with.
Good luck with your restoration. I will be very happy if I can just get the R2 to run and ride.
Keep it sunny side up!
David

cwf

Hello again David,

If you have a lot of trouble with parts, I know someone who visits an autojumble in Lodz (Poland) and the Veterama (W Germany) and he might be able to get them.

Charlie.

David Grenfell

Hi Charlie,
Many thanks for the offer. I might take you up on that. A friend in my motorcycle club has a brother who lives in Germany, and I am speaking to him at the moment.
Some sites I have tried will not ship to the UK, which is a pain!
Regards
David

4Taktix

Hi David,
if I were you and these rubbers are really so hard to come by, I'd make them DIY.
Make a prototype from wood e.g., make a mould from wax or plaster, and fill with common black silicone.
These parts really aren't too complex and precise to make them on your own.
I'd save my time and efforts for unique and more complex parts, which you cannot DIY by no means.
Just an idea.

Cheers,
Sascha
Think outside the box !

David Grenfell

Zitat von: 4Taktix am 31 Oktober 2022, 13:15:37Hi David,
if I were you and these rubbers are really so hard to come by, I'd make them DIY.
Make a prototype from wood e.g., make a mould from wax or plaster, and fill with common black silicone.
These parts really aren't too complex and precise to make them on your own.
I'd save my time and efforts for unique and more complex parts, which you cannot DIY by no means.
Just an idea.

Cheers,
Sascha

Hi Sascha,
Thanks for the advice. I am trying some robust hose at the moment. Will have to wait until I get the engine ready to start before I can test the solution.
Regards
David