Coil Resistance

Begonnen von Kurt in S.A., 13 Juni 2020, 19:17:35

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Kurt in S.A.

What is the ignition coil resistance for an R25/3?  Would this be the same coil for all the singles or did the coil change for say the R26 and R27?  How does one go about measuring the resistance?

Hmmm...I think I ran out of questions!!   :lol:

Thanks...Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

Kurt in S.A.

Kurt in S.A.

Taz

Hello Kurt.

Just to start answering your questions...R24-R26 are using the same type of ignition coil, R27 is (as with many other components) different.

Regarding values and measuring instructions I am afraid we will have to wait for the respective experts...

All the best, Taz
Ich hab noch nie einen Sarkasmus vorgetäuscht

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)
Cymru "Radnor Revivals" (2016)
Alba "Isle of Skye" (2013)
Austria Großglocknerhochalpenstrasse (2012)
Alba "Spittal of Glenshee" (2011)

Borgward

the resistance should be around 1.5 Ohms (prim) and 6 K (sec)
Hubi

Kurt in S.A.

Sounds like good info!  Interesting...those are about the same numbers for one of the two coils on my R100/7.  Aren't VWs also about the same?  Seems like this is a good combination of resistances for the "old fashioned" Kettering ignition.

Thanks...Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

Risky

VW coils seem to work, when I got my /3, one of these was included and it worked ( don't ask me how and why, it's 30 years ago)
Bedenke: Wo immer du hin gehst, da bist du dann auch

R 25/3  1954    Citroën AMI 6  1964    Ducati Multistrada PP  2013

Hans Otté

Zitat von: Risky am 14 Juni 2020, 13:05:04
VW coils seem to work, when I got my /3, one of these was included and it worked ( don't ask me how and why, it's 30 years ago)
Using a VW 6Volts coil isn't a good idea at all.
The power consumption is much too high for the very poor 6Volts generators fitted to the singles (R25 to R27) !
The generator will not be able to furnish enough energy to charge onboard battery and light and ignition for a longer time.
The use of the /5 6V-coils is a technical good and save way to keep the electric charging system in good health.
Kindly, HansO
Si je peux trouver une solution pour quelque chose, je me dois aussi créer sa source d'origine. Donc au travail !

Kurt in S.A.

I wasn't suggesting that a VW coil could be used in this instance.  I was just notice the similarity of resistance between a range of coils.

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

Hans Otté

Zitat von: Kurt in S.A. am 17 Juni 2020, 12:36:31
I wasn't suggesting that a VW coil could be used in this instance.  I was just notice the similarity of resistance between a range of coils.

Kurt
Hi Kurt,
You are right, I just tried to give a technical save explaination to the use of (old) 6Volts coils. The time of charge (coil saturation) needed for a single 4-stroke engine is far less then of a 4-cylinder 4-stroke one. The electrical resistance of the coil will reflect that by the properyty of it's value in Ohms. Anyway, breaker driven ignition systems prefer coils with a higher primary resistance.
Hope I was somewhat helpful to you.
Kindly, Hans O
Si je peux trouver une solution pour quelque chose, je me dois aussi créer sa source d'origine. Donc au travail !

Kurt in S.A.

Thanks for the info, Hans.  "Elecktrickery" is not my strong suit...I only took EE101 in college!

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

Hans Otté

Zitat von: Kurt in S.A. am 17 Juni 2020, 13:48:58
Thanks for the info, Hans.  "Elecktrickery" is not my strong suit...I only took EE101 in college!

Kurt
Hi Kurt,
you are welcome.
EE101 is just a very fine base to build  a somewhat lager base of knowledge on the matter.
Never give up but start your training on the job in real time just now.
Kindly, HansO