Press Steel (P ) Frames, Definative Answer from BMW Archive

Begonnen von Jollyjester, 18 Mai 2020, 12:16:03

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Jollyjester

I asked BMW Archive if they could 'settle' the question on early Frame Numbers as in, R17 Frame  Number. P15xx. delivered to England an sold by Leyton's of Oxford in August 1935.

This answer
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

""We believe that the ,,P" stands for ,,Pressstahl" but we never found a proof for that in any records or files. However it is likely because some of the number ranges for the pressed-steel models overlap with the older tubular frame bikes.

Even more puzzling is the letter "D" that shows up on some pressed steel frames after the number, the number then looks like "P xxxx D". We have no idea what the "D" means, not even a guess."

You may modify this for the correct grammar of course or write it in your own words, that would be ok too. We don't have to be more catholic than the pope here. ;-) (My mother used to say this: "Sei nicht päpstlicher als der Papst.")

And yes, "Deutschland" would be as good as any explanation but somehow I doubt it. However I will keep in in mind and will check the numbers I find against this background.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So that I think is the best we can hope for. What is encouraging is that I received an 'honest' answer to my question.

I spent 3 days at the Archive in Moosacher Str 66.  in April 2018, and now on 1st name terms with the people there.

Jollyjester

Taz

Hello Robert.

Thanks for your commitment regarding this mystery... :applaus:

All the best, Taz
Ich hab noch nie einen Sarkasmus vorgetäuscht

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)
Cymru "Radnor Revivals" (2016)
Alba "Isle of Skye" (2013)
Austria Großglocknerhochalpenstrasse (2012)
Alba "Spittal of Glenshee" (2011)

Jollyjester

This topic has moved on and now even more Questions, I contacted a 'very long time' BMW Dealer' in Derby, now retired, who was the BMW Club Vintage Register Secretary for over 20 years.

He tell us.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I can't add much to the information you have. My old R12 frame was P785, but I've never come across a definitive reason for the P. Certainly it was only used on the "star" frames, but there are a couple of anomalies! That is with the "star" framed F56, F76 and F79.

But it gets even more confusing:-

F56 has prefix P
        F76 has prefix L
        F79 has prefix L

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So I appeal to you Ladies and Gentleman, to ask around, your Father, Uncle, etc who may have owned a BMW in the 1930's.

Is there a long established BMW Dealer in your town? Ask in there please.

any idea is welcome, and you have the time.

Thanks in Advance

Robert