Schraube for Generater

Begonnen von Jollyjester, 22 März 2020, 09:16:29

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Jollyjester

Can any one tell me the diameter and thread pitch for the 3 screws ( schraube ? )that  hold the electrics generator contact breakers etc unit to the front of the engine on the R25.

Out yesterday and one came loose allowing the Lima ? to move a fraction with lots of Pops and Bangs from the exhaust. No harm done but the carbon brushes will need replacing due the uneven wear. I think perhaps 2 of the 3 are incorrect .

So the idea is the obtain Cap Screws and use a Allen Key to fit them and tighten.
I will take the whole unit off later today.

I took a ride out last week along side the 16 foot drain ( canal ) from Chatteris to Upwell , straight  for about 6 miles. On 1/2 throttle, with wind behind me I was at 70 mph!!. But eased off because the distance from the road to the canal, ( no barrier ) is about 6 feet, and Death . ! The R25 was in the air more than on the road

I have been told by local people that the Vincent Motorcycle Co of Stevenage, would bring a Van load of new bikes there in the 40's /50's
and 'blast' them up and down this road to test for speed, it being long enough and straight to get to the Max.

The sound was 'Mind Blowing'

I thing I reached half  of the Vincent's potential. Perhaps with the 300 ccs piston who knows ??

Robert

Our local Tesco supermarket had a till open yesterday, '300 items or less'.

Jollyjester

4Taktix

Morning Robert,

these are M5 x 20 screws, standard pitch. ( 0,8 mm )

sounds like you're a "Dangerfreak"  ;D  ( TV-Series, every Tuesday afternoon in the 80ies, we missed not a single episode  :D  )

On year we gathered at Bernd's to take the trip to Edersee as group. Waiting for green at the last crossing before the Autobahn,
we noticed a deep bass stomping from behind. Another Bike shoved into the middle of our group.
I couldn't believe my eyes, it was a Vincent/HRD, V-Twin, cantilever backend. A black shadow or similar. And I knew, that it was nicked the widow-maker and why.
So I also knew there was something goin to come on green. The tension rises....
But then, we all shifted gears and "accellerated", he stayed with us, very well behaved and tamed, for a few minutes on the autobahn, let's say at 50 mph or so.
I was kind of disappointed - but as the vincent-driver realized our intended cruise-speed, and that we all are already in highest gear,
he shifted the third and let loose - Awful !!! We felt like stuck in the mud, whilst he shoot off to the horizon over a hump, until we couldn't see him anymore.
But we could still hear him still under our helmets for a minute or two - goosepimples all over  ;D ;D ;D

Regards,
Sascha
Think outside the box !

Taz

Good morning Robert.

If you are talking about the three bolts that hold the complete generator unit to the front of the engine (more precisely the chain compartment cover), located at positions 9, 12 and 3 o'clock...on my R25/3 those are plain old M5 with the thread going about 10mm into the cover...I doubt that they changed that from R25 to R25/3, but I am not 100% so please treat this as a guestimate..

Lovely story...over here in Bavaria most people are told to stay at home and do so, so despite the sunny weather roads are deserted.

Have a nice Sunday, best regards, Taz

PS: BTW...the till you mentioned...bulk express lane?

PPS: It seems Sascha has beat me to it...
Ich hab noch nie einen Sarkasmus vorgetäuscht

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)
Cymru "Radnor Revivals" (2016)
Alba "Isle of Skye" (2013)
Austria Großglocknerhochalpenstrasse (2012)
Alba "Spittal of Glenshee" (2011)

Jollyjester

Thank you for the answer

More on Vincent's

In 1958 at the 'Know it all' age 16 I went to buy a motorcycle. I had £100/0/0. Saved from a Bakery Delivery job around the villages in Sussex as a school boy. since the age of 12. You could work then in a school boy job.

Went to the local M/C shop in Horsham.

The 'salesman' was Johnny Light, a boy who was in same class at school.

The 1st bike he offer was Vincent Rapide for £99/0/0. WOW!!!

I said that will 'kill me'

Next a 350 AJS in Clubman's trim , clip on bars, no lights, bump start.

No

a 200 ccs Triumph Tiger Cub was the sale

Soon got fed up with that.

So for £7/10/0 ( £7.50 ) a 1938 Triumph Speed Twin.

It went like Hell,& I am still in good health

The Vincent today would be  £40,000 + and the Triumph £ £12.000 +

Golden Days, but we did no know then.