Orphan List

Begonnen von Kurt in S.A., 06 Juni 2010, 18:00:18

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Kurt in S.A.

Has there been any discussion about creating a link on this website for orphaned engines and cases?  There was some contact with the President of the VMCA about creating a page of orphaned parts.  A list currently exists at the VMCA website:

http://bmwvmca.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=317&Itemid=42

If a web page was created on the other side of the pond, we could cross link them.  Anyone know where that might be going?

Thanks...Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.

Kurt in S.A.

Kurt in S.A.

Taz

Hello Kurt.

There has been a discussion going on here, but for reasons unknown we didn't come too far :traurig:.

The current list (almost empty, sorry for that) can be found here:
http://monos.r25-bike.de/waisenhaus/waisenliste.html

Best regards, Tas

Ich hab noch nie einen Sarkasmus vorgetäuscht

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)
Cymru "Radnor Revivals" (2016)
Alba "Isle of Skye" (2013)
Austria Großglocknerhochalpenstrasse (2012)
Alba "Spittal of Glenshee" (2011)

Kurt in S.A.

Tas -

Thanks.  I've been maintaining the orphan list at VMCA that Richard Sheckler wrote you about.  So, when your list begins to take shape, I can update our list with a link.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.

Kurt in S.A.

Tas -

After looking at your beginning page, can I go ahead and include the link for your page on the VMCA website?  Or if you think it will change and/or be moved to a different location, then I can wait.  I see that you already have the VMCA link on yours.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.

Taz

Hello Kurt.

Thanks for the update re. changed responsibilities.

I think it's safe for you to include the current link to your page-maybe this will bring a little bit more life to that list of ours ;)

To be perfectly honest I think that the location might change in the future, but we are talking about months at least here...and once the list is about to move I can inform you about the new URL anyway, can't I?

Thanks for your interest and best regards, Tas

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)

Kurt in S.A.

Tas -

Will do.  I'll include your link over here.  It's a start!

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.

rolf.soler

what is S.A. ?
South America ?
San Antonio ?
South Africa ?
San Andreas fault ?
:)
greetings from R.S. in L.a.A. (CH)

rolf

Kurt in S.A.

Zitat von: rolf.soler am 07 Juni 2010, 12:41:41
what is S.A. ?
South America ?
San Antonio ?
South Africa ?
San Andreas fault ?
:)
greetings from R.S. in L.a.A. (CH)

S.A. is here!  Where are you??

I'm in the great state of Texas, home of the Alamo, San Antonio.  Yee-ha!!

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.

Kurt in S.A.

Bada bump!

Has there been any movement towards populating an Orphan List over here? 

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.

Taz

Hello Kurt.

Unfortunately, no. It seems that when it comes to who has what mum's the word around here.

Every now and then someone is asking for a specific part (frame or engine number), but this does happen so rarely that keeping a list (that only a few would ever have a look at anyway) doesn't sound worth the effort.

Sorry and best regards, Tas

PS: How did you knwo...just this morning the first request ever arrived in my mailbox... :juhuu:

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)

Kurt in S.A.

Tas -

It's usually in the back of my mind whenever I see someone post that they have a frame and no engine or vice versa.  I typically then direct them to the VMCA website "just in case".  The other day, I noticed that a poster had a frame and tranny for an R27.  I checked the VMCA website and there were only two listings, one of which was also looking for an engine.  The other just had the steering head tag for the VIN.

I see that there are two entries currently on your list.  I'd say keep putting it out there and maybe it will grow over time.  It's a long shot, for sure.  But the more that people are told of the resource, maybe there will come a time when wayward parts can be reunited.  To me, that's a good thing! 

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.

† odeon8

Zitat von: rolf.soler am 07 Juni 2010, 12:41:41
what is S.A. ?
Hi Rolf,

just click on Kurt

U will C his location !

;D Thomas
HUBRAUMISTDURCHNIXZUERSETZENAUSSERDURCHNOCHMEHRHUBRAUM

guyfang

Howdy all,

So is there an "orphan's list on this side of the Atlantic (Germany), or not? If not, should there be? If so, (as we have a frame with no engine,) should we, (me?) start one? Dosnt sound hard, and its not a lot of work. So I would be happy to do so.

mfg,

Guy

Taz

Hello Guy.

There is one available over here as well...please send me a PM with your data (model, frame number, and what you are actually expecting-buying a matching engine or selling/swapping the frame) to me and I will add it to the list.

Best regards, Tas

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)

BenW

Zitat von: guyfang am 29 November 2010, 15:08:38
So is there an "orphan's list on this side of the Atlantic (Germany), or not? If not, should there be? If so, (as we have a frame with no engine,) should we, (me?) start one? Dosnt sound hard, and its not a lot of work. So I would be happy to do so.

Guy,

The list has already been started, but is quite empty so far. You will find it here:

Best regards,
BenW

Kurt in S.A.

Could I ask the administrators to update the US contact on your orphan list?  The Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners (VBMWMO) website has gone through an update.  Our orphan list is now located at:

https://vintagebmw.org/orphans/

Thanks for your help!  Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

Karl

@Taz: ist das jetzt eine Aufgabe für dich oder mich?
Support this Board: Wer das Forum unterstützen möchte, kann das gerne per PAYPAL machen. Und hier findet Ihr meine Amazon Wunschliste.

Kurt in S.A.

Not sure whose job it is...I certainly don't have any privileges on this forum.  I'm just saying that the URL posted here:

is now pointed to the wrong place.  Maybe I should ask the question...who does have the ability to change that website?  I just assumed it was part of BMW-Einzylinder...maybe I'm wrong on that.  Is there another place where there is a list of orphan engines/frames?

Note:  I just wanted to keep things up to date.  I maintain the orphan list on the Vintage BMW website.

Thanks for any help...Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

Heiko

Oh.... I think that these list hatte niemand mehr auf dem Schirm... as the German says.  ;D Short: forgotten. 🤷‍♂️
Ariel motorcycles... upon which the sun never sets.

Kurt in S.A.

I certainly can see that!!  The one on the Vintage BMW forum has not been forgotten!!  So if someone does stumble on to that page and clicks on the existing link, it will go nowhere.  I would like to have the link updated just for correctness.

It might be a mute point I suppose.  The root of the link is http://monos.r25-bike.de/ which is the page that provides all of the specs for the different singles models.  However, I see no links on that page that would get to http://monos.r25-bike.de/waisenhaus/waisenliste.html.  So, I suppose there's no way to navigate to unless you already know where it is.  Somewhat of a bummer...

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

Taz

Sorry guys, interesting times.....

No, the list got not "forgotten"...There have been the usual discussions about data protection, combined with a mild lack of interest of the forum's community regarding all topics that are not constantly dragged to the light of the landing page and a tendency on this forum to sort out most stuff "under the surface", i.e. via PMs. the cherry on the cake is the basically non-existing desire to restore matching number bikes, once engine and frame got separated sometime in the last 70-odd years.

The closest to a current orphan list (at least covering engine numbers) can be found here (at least for now): https://bmw-einzylinder.de/forum/index.php?topic=20623.0

So that original orphan list might just as well be deleted completely as it won't be updated any more...which is exactly what I will do sometime this weekend.

Have a nice weekend, Ute

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)

Kurt in S.A.

Thanks, that seems like a better source!  It appears one has to be a member to see the page?  I tried to use a language translator to see the discussion but it wasn't letting me do that.

On that thread, is it worth have a post that provides the link to the Vintage BMW Orphan List, just so we can keep the info connected?

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

Heiko

Ute,

you may not but I did. I do not remember that we had these list here on our page and i am part of that board since 20 years.  ;D

Anyway maybe Kurt could use this link: https://bmw-einzylinder.de/forum/index.php?topic=20623.0 and add the Numbers of the available engine housings manually to their Orphan list. 🤷‍♂️

It is a little bit difficult to put these datas here in Germany in a list that could be publicly viewable. So we decided to put it in the member area with a minimum of information.

Regards,

Heiko

Kurt in S.A.

Note that the list on the Vintage BMW site is anonymous.  If a person wants to find out more about a specific engine or frame, they end up contacting the administrators (me!) and I do some inquiries to find out if it is a legitimate request to bring two missing parts back together.  If it appears to be a good attempt to rejoin, then the two parties are put in contact with each other.

In the recent past, I got requests to mate an engine with a frame number that was close but not exact.  That is not the intent of the our orphan list.

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

cwf

By the way, is this list for post-war 250s only? (I have a spare R35 crankcase/gearbox).

Charlie.

Heiko

cwf

Also, according to Andy Schwietzer's book 'Eisernes aus Eisenach', from 1945, Eisenach used engine/frame numbers starting 200 001 for their R 35. From 1948 with the R 24, BMW also used engine numbers starting 200 001. Eisenach BMWs became EMWs in 1952 at about engine number 234 000. The last number from Eisenach for the R 35/3 was about 289 999. So there is a possibility of duplication.

Charlie.