Zur Warnung: R27 Brake Failure

Begonnen von Rawost, 27 Juli 2010, 12:00:29

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Rawost

Aus dem Yahoo BMW-mono-club:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/bmw-mono-club/message/5920

Posted by: "allanatherton"  aatherton@insightbb.com     allanatherton
Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:25 pm (PDT)

Had something happen this morning that had never happened in 44 years of riding the old bikes. Brake failure, sort of.

I was using the front brake to slow to a stop at an intersection, when at about 5 mph the lever under my fingers snapped freely back against the grip. The front brake was gone. It took me a second to divert the right foot from finding neutral, and get it onto the rear brake pedal. And then the foot had to get off the pedal to hold the stopped bike upright. If there had been a car in front of me, I would have bumped it hard.

Looking at the front wheel and brake cable, the hand lever still worked the brake arm, so the cable was not broken. I rode home slowly, with as few stops as possible since it was hard to go slow or come to a stop when the right foot needed to be on the rear brake.

I could find nothing at all wrong with the brake, except that it had lost about 1/2 inch of adjustment. I restored the adjustment, having to use both the lower and upper adjusters, and the brake works perfectly.

I think that when I replaced the front tire last winter, the ferrule on the lower end of the cable sheath "snagged" on the edge of the lower adjuster, and did not go inside the adjuster. I screwed the upper adjuster all the way into the control to get the correct adjustment, and rode like that for about a hundred miles until this morning.

Then the cable ferrule suddenly snapped back into the lower adjuster, instantly lengthening the working cable by 1/2 inch, which brought the hand lever against the grip without engaging the brake shoes. The sudden loss of front brake could have been very dangerous if it had occurred when braking for panic stop or fast turn.

Gruß
Rainer
If you want to be happy for a day, drink. If you want to be happy for a year, marry. If you want to be happy for a life time, ride a BMW

Rawost

If you want to be happy for a day, drink. If you want to be happy for a year, marry. If you want to be happy for a life time, ride a BMW

isie

so viele Worte. Was ist da jetzt so dramatisch und neu !?

Taz

Hallo rainer.

Hört sich nach einer eindringlichen Warnung an, bei Arbeiten am Bremssystem hintenach lieber einmal zu viel als einmal zuwenig zu kontrollieren...das hätte auch ins Auge gehen können.

Schöne Grüße, Tas
Ich hab noch nie einen Sarkasmus vorgetäuscht

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)
Cymru "Radnor Revivals" (2016)
Alba "Isle of Skye" (2013)
Austria Großglocknerhochalpenstrasse (2012)
Alba "Spittal of Glenshee" (2011)

† Knut

Na ja - Kurz und bündig:

Bei der Bremsmontage oder Reifenwechsel darauf achten, dass die Enden der Bowdenzughüllen insbesondere unten RICHTIG in den Stellschrauben eingeschnackelt sind.

Was fährt der denn für eine Kiste? Braucht 'ne Ewigkeit, um den rechten Fuß vom Schalthebel zu bekommen und dann erst das Bremspedal zu drücken?

Tino

Der Autor wollte anscheinend zeigen,daß man schon ein richtige Mann sein muß,wenn man nur mit dem Hinterrad bremsen kann.
Wie er das alles so koordiniert bekommen hat,wow.
Bremsen und dann auch noch Füße runternehmen ohne umzufallen. Wenn man das nicht kann,muss man wohl einen Beiwagen haben.
;D
Gruß Tino
Gott fragte die Steine: "Wollt ihr Starrrahmenfahrer werden?"
Verängstigt antworteten die Steine:"Nein,dafür sind wir nicht hart genug."

rolf

Amis...s. Toyota ::)....weil das gas klemmt, zig Sekunden später  ungebremst in den Querverkehr rauschen...aber noch zeit haben zu telefonieren...aber  nicht die Zeit zu bremsen, Handbremse ziehen, Gang raus, Zündung aus ...was weiß ich.

rolf.soler

wieso hat er die Gangschaltung rechts ? Republikaner ?

rolf

Er sitzt andersrum drauf....ist besser wenn man so langsam fährt...die größte gefahr lauert hinten