Rebuild Everbest Petcock

Begonnen von Kurt in S.A., 16 Dezember 2018, 12:32:56

« vorheriges - nächstes »

4Taktix

Hey Kurt,
if she's "away from square zero" after several attempts, try this:
- Ignition off
- full throttle and hold it there, don't jo-jo ! ( especially if your carb has an accelerator pump )
- crank it 5 to 10 times ( blows the foul slurry out and replaces with fresh air mainly )
- throttle back
- ignition on
- fire
If this doesn't work, raise carb-slide with stop screw 1/4 to 1 rev. and repeat.
Don't open throttle while kicking, unless she comes alive.
Had a very bitchy XT500 Crosser with a 36 DellOrto, the above procedure often was the only way to start her, if nothing else helped.

Else if nothing changes with fresh fuel and the procedure above, check your points and point-clearance and replace the capacitor.
( cheaper and easier then to check the existing thoroughly )
It could be that the spark isn't powerful enough, therefore it requires sufficient time to load the coil, which is affected by the point-clearance one hand,
and very fast circuit break, depending on a good capacitor on the other hand.

Good Luck
Sascha
Think outside the box !

4Taktix

Think outside the box !

Kurt in S.A.

Sascha -

Thanks...I did the throttle wide open and kicking in order to clear the combustion chamber.  When I pulled the plug, it could see that it was a bit wet...I even kicked the engine with the plug out to push out gas-air.

I'm inclined to just go back into the carb and be sure nothing is wrong with the jets.  I took the carb completely apart and made sure all passageways were clear...that was about a month ago.  The bike hasn't run since then while dealing with the petcock and float issues.  So, now I'm not so sure what is wrong.

But I'll think about it over the next few days.

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

Kurt in S.A.

Success...tentatively anyway.  I changed two things...I know, I know.   ;D  I had forgotten there is an idle mixture screw on the carb...can't remember dealing with it.  I found it was turned out maybe a little over 1/2 a turn...manual says 1-1/2 turns.  I removed it, cleaned it, shot some carb cleaner into the opening, and reinstalled it to the manual setting.  Then I drained the tank/carb of old fuel and put in a gallon of new fuel.

Took a few tries but it started and I dabbed at the tickler a little as well.  It ran for a couple of minutes.  I thought I heard some "popping" once in a while...might want to recheck timing.  Last time I did about 18 months ago (not that many miles ago) the S-mark was bouncing in the window and the F-mark came into the window at elevated RPM.

So, some progress.  Will go from here.

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.