General pictures of my 1958 R26 rebuild

Begonnen von bwprice100, 26 August 2015, 10:05:18

« vorheriges - nächstes »

bwprice100

RolfD

Hi Brian,
thanks for the post. Unfortunately we are only able to look at the pics if we get member at google photosomething.
So, those who don´t want to join that or are not already members won´t have a chance to see.....
There is a chance to open up your own Album here at this Forum..... and load up fine Pix of your BMW
Best regards
Rolf III

† odeon8

Hi Brian,

thanks for Your efforts - but GOOGLE refuses to show them:

Thomas
HUBRAUMISTDURCHNIXZUERSETZENAUSSERDURCHNOCHMEHRHUBRAUM

bwprice100

:verlegen:
Sorry guys, I have edited the links so hopefully they should work now.

Brian
:)

RolfD

YES, that works now, thanks for the Pics, good work done!!!! Compliments :applaus:
Regards
Rolf III

Herculestom

Hi Brian,

indeed, I enjoyed the photos. Very nicely documented. From what I see a good piece of work, professional and without compromise. You can be proud. Did you take photos of the engine and gear box as well?

regards
Tom
umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu

bwprice100

Zitat von: Herculestom am 27 August 2015, 05:44:50
Hi Brian,

indeed, I enjoyed the photos. Very nicely documented. From what I see a good piece of work, professional and without compromise. You can be proud. Did you take photos of the engine and gear box as well?

regards
Tom

Hi Tom and thanks for the endorsement.

The engine has been done except the cylinder head and will add some pictures.

The gearbox is waiting to be done but only needs new bearings and seals.

At the moment the tank is away getting repaired and painted so I am saving up money to pay for it and then plan to get the mudguards done.

My plan is to get on the road by spring 2016.

Thanks Brian

bwprice100

Some pictures of the engine rebuild.
https://goo.gl/photos/n8mdFa3Fe2fCg9Cr8

As I bought the bike, can you spot what is wrong with the Earles Forks?
https://goo.gl/photos/KWCKR2AfwkMuRhTUA

Enjoy Brian

Herculestom

Hi Brian,

take your time and do it properly. If you find something and you just feel you should fix it, you better do. Don't be lazy and neglect and ignore it. Otherwise you're going pay a price for it later. Nothing is more disappointing than to take a freshly restored bike apart again to sort out a "known" bug. The target should be a reliably functioning machine. Looking forward to see your baby on the road early next year.

As far as the fork is concerned and as far as I can see this is a real piece of art. I strongly believe it is related to the top-condition of the UK-roads. Full-suspension is not required there, isn't it? You ought to think about saving a lot of money by NOT repairing the rear shocks.  ;)

All the best
Tom

umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu

Dappsull

bwprice100

Zitat von: Herculestom am 27 August 2015, 19:34:36
Hi Brian,

take your time and do it properly. If you find something and you just feel you should fix it, you better do. Don't be lazy and neglect and ignore it. Otherwise you're going pay a price for it later. Nothing is more disappointing than to take a freshly restored bike apart again to sort out a "known" bug. The target should be a reliably functioning machine. Looking forward to see your baby on the road early next year.

As far as the fork is concerned and as far as I can see this is a real piece of art. I strongly believe it is related to the top-condition of the UK-roads. Full-suspension is not required there, isn't it? You ought to think about saving a lot of money by NOT repairing the rear shocks.  ;)

All the best
Tom

Thanks Tom

Agree with your sentiments; everything is being stripped and fully assessed. Parts are only being re-used if they will give good service.

The front and rear suspension have been rebuilt with new damper units and I have fitted sidecar springs to the rear, taking advice from this forum.

Al bearings and seals are being replaced, including the crank bearings. I have also made a lot of stainless steel parts (they salt the roads here in the UK)

Main problems I had:
1  The front forks on the bike as I bought it were from a twin and it took me a long time to get hold of a set for a single at an affordable price.
2   Sourcing the correct headlight, now I have one.
3   Sorting out the generator from a box of bits I had, a very nice job done by Rolf. :applaus:
4   Keeping the costs under control.  :(

Brian

SteveMKentucky

Very interesting.  Thanks for posting the pictures.  I'm interested in how difficult it was to remove the drive flange from the drive shaft.  I have an R27 I'm refurbishing and would like to completely remove the shaft before painting.

bwprice100

Zitat von: SteveMKentucky am 06 Oktober 2015, 04:23:56
Very interesting.  Thanks for posting the pictures.  I'm interested in how difficult it was to remove the drive flange from the drive shaft.  I have an R27 I'm refurbishing and would like to completely remove the shaft before painting.

Hi Steve

Sorry for the slow reply but I have been away. Removing the drive shaft was relatively easy; I clamped the pegs in a vice and then tapped the nut off ( a new nut was refitted).
Splitting the flexible coupling was more difficult; the proper BMW tool was not succesful so I had to remove the four studs and then use heat and a pipe wrench to get the the big fine thread nut off. I had to fit a new one and new rubbers. It is important to get it apart as lubricating the gears is very important. I also found that the gears on mine were very badly worn (lack of lubrication) and i refitted a good second hand one. A new shaft and gear are about 250 euros.

I hope this helps

Brian

Brian

https://goo.gl/photos/LoxFUYYt6UqvafAfA

SteveMKentucky

Zitat von: bwprice100 am 21 Oktober 2015, 11:36:14
Hi Steve

Sorry for the slow reply but I have been away. Removing the drive shaft was relatively easy; I clamped the pegs in a vice and then tapped the nut off ( a new nut was refitted).
Splitting the flexible coupling was more difficult; the proper BMW tool was not succesful so I had to remove the four studs and then use heat and a pipe wrench to get the the big fine thread nut off. I had to fit a new one and new rubbers. It is important to get it apart as lubricating the gears is very important. I also found that the gears on mine were very badly worn (lack of lubrication) and i refitted a good second hand one. A new shaft and gear are about 250 euros.

I hope this helps

Brian

Brian

https://goo.gl/photos/LoxFUYYt6UqvafAfA

Thanks Brian.  I was successful in removing the nut.  All is progressing.