Hello single cylinder owners!

Begonnen von David Grenfell, 07 Juli 2021, 10:42:59

« vorheriges - nächstes »

David Grenfell

Hello single cylinder owners. I have been riding BMW twins since thee mid seventies, mainly my 1976 R60/6, but I have become interested in th earlier single cylinder machines.
I hope to buy one soon, and look forward to the experience and information this forum has.
Stay upright and ride safe!

David Grenfell

Taz

Hello David.

Welcome to the forum, keeping my fingers crossed that you will find a nice machine real soon...sadly you missed a great opportunity as one of our senior members sold his beloved R25/3 a while ago, that would have been a real bargain.

All the best from Durham, Ute
Ich hab noch nie einen Sarkasmus vorgetäuscht

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)
Cymru "Radnor Revivals" (2016)
Alba "Isle of Skye" (2013)
Austria Großglocknerhochalpenstrasse (2012)
Alba "Spittal of Glenshee" (2011)

4Taktix

Hi David and welcome to the weirdos ;-)
May I ask, what's your preferred model ? Or do you need a bit of decision-support ?
( That may ignite the stone-aged battle of the two main parties here again: swing-/Earles-fork-models or linear-Suspension )
You should do a testride in any case to get an idea, what to expect. ( if you get the chance to )
Depending on one's attitude or point of view - one can say that it's a downgrade from the twins to single cyl.
On the other hand they are hard to compare - it's a different universe.
If you're fine with the latter sight - you're good to go with a cozy, stomping and unagitated 2-wheel-tractor ;-)

Best Regards,
Sascha

Think outside the box !

David Grenfell

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your welcome.
I currently ride BMW K100RS, BMW R60/6 and Norton Model 50 (350cc) single cylinder. All are great but singles have more soul!
I have seen a 1934 R2 and need to find out more about this model. Restoration will be required, so parts will be needed and I assume hard to find.
Dave

David Grenfell

Last year I purchased a 1934 R2 Series 4 as a 'barn-find'. Non runner with a few problems and damaged parts - bevel drive (broken teeth on the crown-wheel), handle-bars (broken on right hand side), foot plate broken (rhs).
I have not been able to find a replacement bevel drive, and so am getting the gears made for me using the original as a pattern. Ouch! It is expensive.
I now have a new wiring lume and battery, and hope to see a spark (!) of life soon.
The bike was roughly painted in American military colours, presumably at the end of WW2, and some of that is flaking off revealing the original paint. Restore it or maintain the patina is a queston I will face once it is running and riding - so not for a while yet! The journey continues...

Jollyjester

The USA paint could well have been camouflage to get it out of Germany.

There is an R2, within walking distance of my home

The only BMW singles sold in Britain, pre Sept 1939 were some R20's and R23's total 8. It is not know if any are still around. In the 1970's i was told  of a Hand Gear Change BMW for sale in Stevenage, but was never able to find who, or where. Should have tried harder, but my career had taken off  and I was working 25 hr a day, and  away on the Cruise ships for perhaps 16 weeks a year