Clutch lever adjustment

Begonnen von † Will, 08 September 2011, 22:22:41

« vorheriges - nächstes »

† Will

Hello everyone.
Last Sunday during a 52kms journey I had to stop twice to adjust the clutch cable.
The machine was running well at 80/90 kph.
Can the gearbox be removed to inspect the clutch with the engine (R25) left in the frame ?
Thank you in anticipation of your assistance and knowledge.
R25/3 + R65LS. The R27 has found a new home.
I was not lost, my GPS just found a different way back.

† Will

berndr253

Hello Will,

yes, that is possible if you remove the final drive, you've also to remove the clutch lever. Then you can turn off the 4 female screws which fits engine and gearbox and the gearbox can be pulled back from the engine and turn out of the frame to the left side.

Bernd
Leben und Leben lassen

† Will

Hi Bernd
Many thanks for your reply.
I'm on holiday next week so I will check the clutch when I return.
Regards,
Will

† Knut

Will,

keep in mind, that the clutch itself is designed for thousands of miles - the wear and tear of the clutch plate is nearly negligible!
If you have to readjust the clutch cable there could/might be something wrong with the actuation itself, which come from outside/back of the gearbox. Take a careful look at the widgets for the operation as well as the cable itself. Probably there was an error during the last assembly, which now set to best fit...
Please check the operation and wait with the disassembly of the engine. Use the time for biking - the fall's just starting.

Knut

† Will

Thank you for all the replies. The holes and pins in the actuating mechanism were very worn.
I welded the holes and then re-drilled them. I also made new pins.

I pulled the clutch pushrod out as far I could to inspect it and now the clutch pushrod will not go back far enough into the gearbox. I don't know what is causing it to stop.  :kopfhau:

Taz

Hello Will.

:applaus: Good work as we have come to get used from you...

The reason for the "stuck" pushrod is that the far (clutch side) end is square on the R25/3...and the pressure plate has a corresponding hole. If these are aligned then the pushrod won't get in the last 10mm (roughly)...

If the pushrod is one piece then turning it carefully a few degrees and then trying to push it in may work...otherwise (with the factory three piece rod) carefully turning the clutch a bit may be the better option...if all fails then disconnecting the gear box from the engine, taking it back as far as possible and directly aligning the rod with a pair of pliers may be the only (but sure-fire) way.

Best regards, Taz
Ich hab noch nie einen Sarkasmus vorgetäuscht

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)
Cymru "Radnor Revivals" (2016)
Alba "Isle of Skye" (2013)
Austria Großglocknerhochalpenstrasse (2012)
Alba "Spittal of Glenshee" (2011)

† Will

Zitat von: Taz am 21 Oktober 2011, 09:40:12
The reason for the "stuck" pushrod is that the far (clutch side) end is square on the R25/3...and the pressure plate has a corresponding hole. If these are aligned then the pushrod won't get in the last 10mm (roughly)...
Hi Tas,
Many thanks for your reply.
I started work again today on Lottie after my Scotland holiday.
Your advice was very valuable and I was able to turn the pushrod to the correct position after a few attempts.
I also made a new adjuster from a high tensile 8mm bolt with a locknut and a 6mm square on the end as shown in the photo. Tomorrow I will go for a run to see if everything has settled down OK.

Taz

Hello Will.

You're welcome. I am glad to hear that it worked out :).

Your approach for the ever-existing problem of not enough space for the adjuster's locknut is very interesting :applaus:

Best regards, Taz

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)

† Will

The sun was shining today so while waiting for the Honda's new phenolic caliper piston to arrive, I took 'Lottie' for a sunny 70 mile ride around Cumbria and North Yorkshire. Stopped for a photo shoot on one of my favourite roads over the fells.
It doesn't get much better than this !  :bike: :bike:

Taz

Hello Will.

Thanks for sharing this moment with us :blumen:

Best regards, Tz F(rom fog-haunted Franconia :traurig:)

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)

Dappsull

euro518

Isn't that the truth. Our weather (after a fantastic September and October) is turning. Today may be our last day to ride as it creeps above 10 C. I am beginning to feel the onset of PMS .... Parked Motorcycle Syndrome.

Kevin
Saskatchewan, Canada

Taz

Hello Kevin.

Hilarious...PMS...finally the symptoms all of us suffer during the salty months have a name :juhuu:

Well, in Germany we are facing another 20°C-weekend-and it seems that Bärbel won't get to the road again :kopfhau: ... family's first.

Best regards, Taz

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)

† Will

Zitat von: euro518 am 03 November 2011, 14:51:39
Isn't that the truth. Our weather (after a fantastic September and October) is turning. Today may be our last day to ride as it creeps above 10 C. I am beginning to feel the onset of PMS .... Parked Motorcycle Syndrome.
Kevin
My coldest ride was -5 C. It was cold ! :o :o

Hauptmenü

Anleitungen & Bücher Baureihe Specials Startseite Vergleichsliste

Presse & Wissen

Bauzeiten & Stückzahlen Historisches Liste der BMW Modelle Presseberichte Prospekte & Plakate

Foren & Literatur

Bildergalerie Bildtafel-Suche Forum: Boxerforum Handbücher Servicedaten

Allgemeine Infos

Bildtafelsuche Glossar Impressum Kontakt Sitemap

Tipps & Service

Dienstleister Händler Märkte & Museen Tipps Verschleißteile & Werkzeuge