R26 Electronic Regulator

Begonnen von Lindsay Young, 08 Oktober 2018, 00:20:16

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Lindsay Young

Hi,

I took my R26 on it's first test ride after restoring it and I noticed that my battery was overflowing acid so I checked the charge voltage at the battery and found it was way too high at higher revs.

I have triple checked the wiring of the electronic voltage regulator that was fitted by the previous owner and all seems okay. I get around 7v on the battery at low to medium revs, but it climbs to 9v on high revs..... which is obviously boiling the battery acid.

Has anybody ever heard of these electronic regulators going faulty? I also read somewhere that they are adjustable but not something that you want to do unless you really know what you are doing. Does anyone know how to adjust one of these?

Any help will be much appreciated.
'59 BMW R26 🇩🇪
'03 904cc Bonneville 🇬🇧
'14 1200cc Guzzi Griso 🇮🇹

Lindsay Young

'59 BMW R26 🇩🇪
'03 904cc Bonneville 🇬🇧

OldsCool!

Hi Lindsay,

depends on your regulator. Some are fixed, some are adjustable by a tiny screw. If so, measure the voltage and adjust it down to max 7V with lights on.
Anyway, if it properly settles already at 7V for low RPM and then goes nuts, there is a chance that it is gone.

BR,

Steffen
Ich bin auf dem Dorf aufgewachsen. Ich wurde nicht erzogen, ich habe ÜBERLEBT!

Lindsay Young

Thanks for that Steffens. I see the tiny screw on the regulator for adjustment. The manufacturers were making a big deal that you need a trained tech to adjust it but clearly that's not the case. I'll give it a go with the lights on and see how I get on. Hopefully it's just an adjustment issue. Thanks again.
'59 BMW R26 🇩🇪
'03 904cc Bonneville 🇬🇧

OldsCool!

Add-on

How it should be:
You should measure the Batterys Voltage on idle (typically around 6V or high 5,xV with Lights on, i.e. under load), Generator control light (orange, next to neutral indicator) is on.
As soon as you increase revs significantly above idle, the generator should start delivering. The voltage jumps to adjusted value (should be ~7V) and MUST stay there, whatever you further increase revs. Control light gets dark as soon as generator voltage exceeds Battery voltage. There should be no further step/jump in the voltage.

If this is not the case, there can be two issues causing the voltage to increase further:

1) defect regulator
2) short circuit to ground of the field coils somewhere before the regulator.

If you manage to fix it by adjusting the regulator, you should fix the tiny screw with a drop of paint, so it won't rattle loose in the one or other direction.

BR

Steffen

Lindsay Young

Thanks Steffen,

Will check the wiring for a short but I'm begining to think the regulator is kaput.

Do you have a recommendation of where to buy a new one from? Can't find any here in the UK or on Ebay

Thanks, Lindsay
'59 BMW R26 🇩🇪
'03 904cc Bonneville 🇬🇧

OldsCool!

Hi Lindsay,

you get the regulators from the common german dealers Rabenbauer, Uli's Motorradladen, Omega or Stemler. Anyway, proven source used to be Zofia Pawelczak's ebay store (~60€):

http://www.ebaystores.de/Zofia-s-Oldtimerelektronik-Shop/Impressum.html

Currently there is no BMW singles regulator on offer, but it is worth calling/emailing her, whether she has some more left.

Cheapest solution would be the VAPE R81. But I have no personal experience with it (I'm using the one from Zofia).

By the way, I would suggest to switch from the common acid batteries to the well-proven Panasonic batteries (sealed). No more acid on the gearbox. For R26, I've shown a dual backup battery solution HERE.

BR

Steffen

Lindsay Young

Steffen,

You are an absolute genius!!!

I went back and stripped out the voltage regulator to recheck the wiring and see if I could find anywhere that the field circuit was shorting to ground.... then I noticed that whoever had installed it originally, had not removed the old "field wire to ground" connection used with the old mechanical regulator!!! I disconnected and isolated that connection, and eveything is perfect!!!

Thank you so much! If you had not put me onto checking the field wires I would never had found it, as all the other wiring on the regulator is correct.

You saved me the cost of a new regulator for nothing so if you are ever over in Scotland, drop in by and I'll break open some special single malt!

I have a sealed gel battery on order from Germany (Blitz) and will fit that as soon as it gets here.

After nearly three long years, the restoration of my R26 (including full engine rebuild) is finally completed! can almost not believe it.

'59 BMW R26 🇩🇪
'03 904cc Bonneville 🇬🇧

Borgward

Hi Lindsay,
congratulations :respekt: - what a beauty!
Should you ever get problems with your Blitz battery (obviously happens every now and then  :( ) then take OldScool's advice and switch over to a panasonic (very inexpensive an reliable)

Hubi

bwprice100

Good news Lindsey   :)

Sent by me using tapety talky

cledrera

Du bist im Recht; nun sieh zu, wie du da wieder heraus kommst. (v. Chamisso)
Lieber Einzylinder als zwei Fallschirme (v. mir)

Lindsay Young

Thanks.

Aye, took a while to design and make the bracket but I was very happy with the way it turned out.

Hopefully my next restoration project will be an R4 but need to find one first!!!
'59 BMW R26 🇩🇪
'03 904cc Bonneville 🇬🇧

OldsCool!

Nice one! I'll for sure be in Scotland one day, since my wife is such a Scotland-fan. Probably takes another 15 years when the kids are out  ;D
Order the Panasonic as well... the Blitz won't last very long. It's major problem seems to be the vibrations. They tend to die due to internal mechanical failure. And the Panasonic is only 15€ incl. shipping (at least in Germany).

BR

Steffen

Lindsay Young

Will do, wish I had spoken to you guys before I ordered it!

Thanks again for all the help.
'59 BMW R26 🇩🇪
'03 904cc Bonneville 🇬🇧

OldsCool!

Keep trying the Blitz, some do survive for years. But on longer trips I used to have the 4.5Ah Panasonic in my luggage. R26 is the "shaky Lady", as you probably know. So be sure to use Loctite a lot as well as selflocking nuts (google translation proposal: self-assured mother  :lol: ). Otherwise you'll be always easy to find.... just follow the trail of nuts and screws on the street  ;D

BR

Steffen

grahamjb

Nice restoration and good to see that you have fixed the battery overcharge problem

Dappsull

Wow - nice and clean piece of gear there. I wonder about the extra loop you put into the petrol flow, though?

Cheers
D.

OldsCool!

Well recognized...
Lindsay, check the exit of the fuel tap. Unscrew the nut which fixes the exit towards the fuel hose and you should find a filter inset. Therefore the filter in between the hose is obsolete and just another source for fuel shortage issues, although your variant looks quite noble with a net filter inside, not just the cheap paper filters often causing trouble.

And avoid the loop. Just enforces air in the way. The carburetor fuel intake should face to the fuel tap side and enable a direkt connection with a short piece of hose only.

BR

Steffen

Dappsull

OldsCool!

More dirty than quick  ;D
Looks like the filter is even wrong way!?

Anyway, in case the filter inset in the fuel tap is allright, there is absolutely no reason to jeopardize the fuel flow by another external filter (I made this mistake myself...).

BR

Steffen

Dappsull

Dirty indeed...
I've got a petcock w/o filter (probably a /5 one), so I use the external one.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dapsul/3562755830

OldsCool!

It's a Karkoma, same as I have and same as Lindsay. The Filter inset is in the exit of the fuel tap  ;) Ever wondered why your external filter is so nice and clean, but there could be a bit more fuel coming?  ::) Check that filter inset  ;D

By the way... do you share the same issue with putting it on reserve? I cannot put it fully on reserve as the switch collides with the tank. It is too close  :schimpf:

BR

Steffen

Dappsull

we're drifting ;^)
...but:
'no' and 'no'

Lindsay Young

Hi Steffen,

I had that problem as well (where the fuel tap could not go into reserve as it was hitting the tank). I had removed the internal fuel filter sieve that fits inside the tank and covers the two fuel tap tubes. When I re-fitted it, it's seal washer lowered the fuel tap just enough to get the clearance needed to put it into reserve.
'59 BMW R26 🇩🇪
'03 904cc Bonneville 🇬🇧

Dappsull

I have about 5mm left between tank and lever - maybe a different petcock? Could it be, that a 1966 BMW was delivered with a Karcoma anyway? Maybe someone here knows...

Lindsay Young

Hi Steffen,

I found that internal fuel tap filter you were talking about so have removed the additional inline fuel filter that I fitted. Thanks for the heads up.

PS I managed to cancel the order for the Blitz battery and have now fitted two 4.5Ah sealed batteries in parallel as recommended. All good!
'59 BMW R26 🇩🇪
'03 904cc Bonneville 🇬🇧

rolf

deiner ist von den /6 Modellen...original war immer (bis incl. /5) der Torpedohahn

OldsCool!

Zitat von: Dappsull am 16 Oktober 2018, 18:56:51
I have about 5mm left between tank and lever - maybe a different petcock? Could it be, that a 1966 BMW was delivered with a Karcoma anyway? Maybe someone here knows...

Haha... your lever has been shortened, that's why you have some space  ;D
I prefer the optic of the original torpedo, but it's such a pain to get it sealed and then it's hard to turn. The Karkoma is easy, but ugly. But I guess I will apply Dappsulls mod  :schrauber:

BR

Steffen

Borgward

Zitat von: Lindsay Young am 16 Oktober 2018, 19:41:03
PS I managed to cancel the order for the Blitz battery and have now fitted two 4.5Ah sealed batteries in parallel as recommended. All good!
Hi Lindsay,
good choice, but it 's recommended not to switch them in parallel. Just mount them electrically separated and switch over from one battery to the other maybe once or twice a season. Steffen's link shows a smart solution for an easy switch-over by just reconnecting a fuse.

- a single panasonic provides 4.5 Ah which is fully sufficient for our bikes
- The panasonics have a very low self discharge, therefore you'll always have an (almost) fully loaded backup battery
- if  you have the batteries in parallel and one goes faulty by any reason then it might harm the other one

Hubi

Dappsull

Thanks, I learned some things again ;^)
BTW: the advantage of the external filter is, that you can immediately see, if and when it's clogged.
Cheers
D.

OldsCool!

That might be true in case you have no internal filter fitted in advance which already holds back the particles  ;D