1934 - 35 R71

Begonnen von Jollyjester, 01 Mai 2023, 17:48:26

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Jollyjester

I have been asked is I can find Dealers in Germany who may have small parts ( or anything ? ) for an  R71 Model circa 1935 twin carburetor.

It starts and can be ridden but needs many bits to make it correct

Robert

March Town. Cambridgeshire. England

Jollyjester

Taz

Hello Robert.

Long time no see...glad to read from you again.

Rabenbauer www.rabenbauer.com) has some pre-war stuff available, whether this would cover carbs as well I do not know.

Would you have more detailed information on the manufacturer of the carburettor in question? This would make it a bit easier to point the owner in the right direction...

All the best from county Durham, Ute
Ich hab noch nie einen Sarkasmus vorgetäuscht

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)
Cymru "Radnor Revivals" (2016)
Alba "Isle of Skye" (2013)
Austria Großglocknerhochalpenstrasse (2012)
Alba "Spittal of Glenshee" (2011)

rolf.soler

Try the usual dealers (Rabenbauer, Ulis Motorrad, Huggett, Stemler etc.)
and the R71 technology, parts and production tools were delivered to the Soviet Union (when they still had a pact with Germany) in the 30's, the R71 was copied almost unchanged as the Ural M72, later Dnepr M72; later in the 50's the technology was transferred to China, where this Motorcycle with sidecar was produced as the Chiang Jiang 750 up to 2017. There were changes / improvements over time (e.g. optional OHV engines, starter, 12 V  3-phase alternators and others), but a really high proportion of parts remained identical or interchangeable, e.g. gearbox, tank, mudguards, engine parts (from the side valve engine), brake parts, carbs, exhausts and many many others. of course the quality is not the same as BMW, but the parts are dirt cheap
There are many dealers for parts for Ural/Dnepr and/or Chang Jiang
If some part ist not available from BMW dealers, try Ural/Dnepr and/or Chang Jiang. It does not increase the value of the bike but may work well
I have a Chang Jiang 750 SV engine (got it for free) and it runs quite well

Taz

Also...

carbs specific: https://www.oldtimervergaser.de (apparently can even offer complete carbs)

This page also offers spare parts of all sorts: https://emw-oldtimer.de/

In case the owner would require some help with translating requests from English to German (not sure how well the dealers can cope) or a German address would be necessary, please don't hesitate to reach out.

All the best, Ute
Ich hab noch nie einen Sarkasmus vorgetäuscht

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)
Cymru "Radnor Revivals" (2016)
Alba "Isle of Skye" (2013)
Austria Großglocknerhochalpenstrasse (2012)
Alba "Spittal of Glenshee" (2011)

Kees

CowBoy

oder hier: https://www.ural-zentrale.de/
oder hier: https://www.ural-hamburg.de/

@Kees: der Chinese ruft aber selbstbewusste Preise auf!

Kees

Ural Hamburg kannte ich noch nicht. Und der hat auch sehr viel! Und ja ,die Preisen erscheinen etwas besser als direkt in China, mit viel niedrigere Versandkosten natürlich.

Aus China muss mann noch mit 30-40% extra für Mws, Importsteuer usw rechnen.

CowBoy

Zitat von: Kees am 02 Mai 2023, 14:46:24Aus China muss mann noch mit 30-40% extra für Mws, Importsteuer usw rechnen.

Eben! Darum käme der Chinese für mich nicht in Frage, zumal das Angebot auch beschränkt ist.
Der Leszek ist für mich 1.Wahl, wenn es um Repro-teile (Auspuff, Blech, Mechanik) geht.
Die Ural-Zentrale hat auch diverse Kleinteile im Angebot und liegt preislich meist unterhalb
des Niveaus von Ural Hamburg, die jedoch noch mehr alte Sowjet-Teile haben.

cwf

Hello Robert,

If they are indeed small parts, I'm going to Lodz, Poland this weekend to a big autojumble with an empty suitcase and could look for a few.

Charlie.

Jollyjester

Thank You Charlie for the kind offer

I am not the owner. He came to me in my role as Archivist for the BMW Club UK&I. The R71 came to the UK in 1991, and disappeared into North Wales. His Father purchased, but never had it running. Eventually after his Father has 'Passed On' it came to his son, with whom I am helping.

After a little advice, and some technical issues, which grade of oil, which way is polarity, + or -, it is actually running  and he  has ridden in on private road. so now it is sorting small parts. We have via BMW Dated it to 1935- 06.

Many Thanks

Robert

CowBoy

Hello Robert,

a 1935 R71 is something really rare. This would make this motorcycle older than the R5/R6 models without rear wheel suspension.
Maybe an unknown pre series prototyp?
When the R71 came to Wales in 1991 I would bet it would be a collection of M72/K750 and BMW leftovers.

Do you have pictures of the machine?

Best, Ulli

angusbuchananbmw

Hi Robert I have an R71 which has been fitted with Chinese carbs that i purchased from John Lawes. They seem to work fine. It may be worth giving him a call or you could get the chap to ring me directly.
regards KenPXL_20230504_084622127 (2).jpg
R25/3, R26 and R27

Jollyjester

Thank you Ken

It is running  and started reasonable easy.

The Gentleman lives in Ware. Hertfordshire area

John Lawes has seen a video, as he seemed to me the Best Bet

I will ask him to contact you

His Name is Neil "A xxxxxxx"

I will PM you later today

Jollyjester

Pre War Steib

The Gentleman with the R71, I am going to take a look at it next week to determine the Frame /Engine Numbers. They have been 'eaten' by a metal insect !!
The machine started more or less 1st kick, an the owner has ridden it for some miles, in an Un-Official  manner. !!!

He now has found a Pre War37-8, Steib single seater sidecar. Seems all there but may need some odd parts?
Can any of you recommend a Dealer in Germany who may have bits?

AFN Ltd supplied Steib Pre and Post War, also I believe, Steib Farm Machinery?

I have AFN /Steib price list 1957.

The TR 500 = £96. 2 shillings 9 pence
S 250 = £382 11 shilling a 6 pence
LS 200 £68 8 shillings 0 pence

R50 was £378/4/-
R60 £390/12/-
R69 £492/13/7
R26 256/13/7

On my R25s ( it has a R50S piston) I have Amal 389 carburetor. 1. 1/8th ( 28 mm)
It cost £6/10/- ( £6.50) in 1972 from BSA Bankrupt stock.
They are now only £189.00.
Out yesterday on R25s, it runs like my Rolex.
Thank everyone for help on the fuel tap.

Robert
The Jolly Jester.