Pagusa Saddle Installation R25/2 - Now What?

Begonnen von Kurt in S.A., 19 Januar 2017, 20:37:05

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Taz

Hello Kurt.

Please find attached the pictures

1. saddle and frame just mounted to the tool...as mentioned just a piece of strap I use now. One thing...my car jack usually allows a travel of some 6 inches from this position to fully stretched-which more often than not will not be sufficient due to stretching of the strap and the tilting...in these cases I have to relax the tool and re-knot the strap...

2. frame just connected...the final inserting usually requires both hands and a knee (to keeop down the frame)

3. shows the strap part in detail so you can see where I attach it to the frame...

I hope this helps...in case you still are fed up to the back teeth with this my offer is stillopen to you....better than to throw all that fine material into the garbage can....

Keep  :schrauber:, Taz
Ich hab noch nie einen Sarkasmus vorgetäuscht

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)
Cymru "Radnor Revivals" (2016)
Alba "Isle of Skye" (2013)
Austria Großglocknerhochalpenstrasse (2012)
Alba "Spittal of Glenshee" (2011)

Taz

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)

Kurt in S.A.

Gave it another try with some help from my old work place.  I hard mounted the attachment to my drawing rod.  We almost got it...in this picture you can see that the frame on the right was actually inserted, but then working on the left one things slipped out.  In the end, my restraints for the rear of the seat let loose and all the tension was gone.  Have to put something more solid back there.  Will consider trying again next week.

In my view, there is no way this is a one person job.  I guess others have done it solo.  But it's taking two of us and leaning on this pretty hard.

One thing that I'd like to know.  The front frame ends that get inserted into the rear frame holes...is there supposed to be some spread to those ends?  In other words, in their natural relaxed stated, is the distance between the rods ends more than the distance between the rear frame holes?  In my case, they are, meaning that they must be squeezed together before inserting into the rear frame holes.  I don't know if the front frame was stretched somewhere along the way, but that is certainly an extra variable I'm having to deal with.

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

Taz

Hello Kurt.

Never give up... that's the spirit....usually both frame parts should align properly when not under external tension..as all that stuff is more than 50 years old it might just as well be that one part of the frame got that extra force sometime. You may want to try bending it a wee bit back together so it will slip more easily into the back part...

Good luck, Taz

PS: I am assembling the saddles always on my own, but I have gathered some experience.... ;D

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)

Kurt in S.A.

Finally!  I (or really we) beat the thing into submission!!  I revised my fixture with firm tie downs at the rear.  I manned the stretching mechanism...when it was pulled far enough, my helper used both hands to shove the front end into the back end frame, then I quickly let up on the tension.  After a bit of massaging, the frames seem to have mated fully.  I hope the slight gap on the two tabs for the front mount aren't going to be a problem.

It's taken me so long to do this, I hope I remember how it goes back on the bike!!   ;D

Thanks for all the help and encouragement.

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

† Will

Hi Kurt,
Well done on a successful outcome. :applaus:
R25/3 + R65LS. The R27 has found a new home.
I was not lost, my GPS just found a different way back.

Taz

Hello Kurt.

:applaus: good job.... enjoy the summer with a whole new riding comfort  :bike:

All the best, Taz

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)

Kurt in S.A.

Thanks!  Hopefully this seat will last another 65 years...unfortunately, I won't!   ;)

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

rolf

But you will get a wooden surrounding too!

Kurt in S.A.

Finally fitted the new seat/frame...took some finagling.  Went for a ride!  Sweeet!  And I think the bike liked it too!   :applaus:

A question...it seems that my butt was rolling to the back...sitting a little lower.  I already have the bolt in the under seat adjustment in the lower hole...that should create the most tension.  Is there anything else I can do?  I noticed a big nut on the forward side of the spring...can that be tightened to add more stiffness?  Or could the spring be sacked?

Thanks for the help!  Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

rolf

loosen the nut....screw the screw more into the spring (so much if you like....untile only the hole looks out the spring...tighten the nut. So it will lift the seat

Kurt in S.A.

Kurt in S.A.

Taz

Hello Kurt.

To add a bit more clarity to Rolf's explanation...

In the picture the parts marked as "A" serve to adjust the seat to the rider's weight as you have already found out...I think I can recall something like top-most hole for some 60kg, lowest for 100kg....roughly...

The parts marked as "B" can be used to adjust the position of the seat to meet your requirements (e.g leg length)...

Have fun, Taz

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)

Kurt in S.A.

Taz -

Hmmm...seems like A is as you say with the hole farther down will pull the spring more in order to counteract the additional weight.  But what if the rear edge of the seat is tending to dip down already?  Will B help to pull the rear of the seat up in the static position?

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

rolf

"Will B help to pull the rear of the seat up in the static position?"
Yes

Taz

Hello Kurt..

As Rolf wrote...yes...the plate attached to the spring has a thread that holds the big screw in "B"....the further in you screw that screw the higher up the rear end of the seat will come....

Kind regards, Taz

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)

rolf

or shorter:
YES ;D...after the question: " Will B help to pull the rear of the seat up in the static position?"