R26 Restoration by new member from Australia

Begonnen von grahamjb, 01 Oktober 2017, 06:42:07

« vorheriges - nächstes »

|

bwprice100

Here is a better picture of the bare frame showing the horn bracket.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/IXLCxDS7ieoksrg03

Sent by me using tapety talky

bwprice100

OldsCool!

Hi Graham,

luckily your picture perfectly shows the horn mounting already :) See your picture attached with an arrow showing the location. The Horn should come with an anti-vibration multi-sheet metal thingy, otherwise the vibrating horn will suffer damage itself to allow the horn to be as loud as possible (thanks for the comment Sascha), but also to avoid cracking the mounting welded on the frame (like happend on my R26) by its (vibrating) weight.

Best regards,

Steffen
Ich bin auf dem Dorf aufgewachsen. Ich wurde nicht erzogen, ich habe ÜBERLEBT!

OldsCool!

Picture below shows the mounting of my horn. It is not in perfect original location due to my original mounting beeing broken (and using a clamp to the frame instead), as mentioned. Probably it is slightly higher when screwed on the original mount, but just to get a rough impression.

BR

Steffen
Ich bin auf dem Dorf aufgewachsen. Ich wurde nicht erzogen, ich habe ÜBERLEBT!

4Taktix

*smartass-mode on* the main-purpose of the multi-layer sheet is to make the horn-body "swingeable", which makes it loudest possible. *smartass-mode off*
There is a whole lot of aftermarket-junk around, predestined to crack, so be careful where you order your "Federblech". (-> spring-multi-sheet ).
I'd visit the local junkyard and see, if I coud salvage such from an old car or something.
Or else cut them to the desired specs from appropriate sheetmetal, 3 or 4 blades with washers between each. In german this material is called "federharter Stahl",
which means it has spring-characteristics. maybe from an old stainless-sink, that should do the job. (allthough hard to cut)
Regards,
Sascha
Think outside the box !

bwprice100

Zitat von: 4Taktix am 26 April 2018, 16:20:44
*smartass-mode on* the main-purpose of the multi-layer sheet is to make the horn-body "swingeable", which makes it loudest possible. *smartass-mode off*
There is a whole lot of aftermarket-junk around, predestined to crack, so be careful where you order your "Federblech". (-> spring-multi-sheet ).
I'd visit the local junkyard and see, if I coud salvage such from an old car or something.
Or else cut them to the desired specs from appropriate sheetmetal, 3 or 4 blades with washers between each. In german this material is called "federharter Stahl",
which means it has spring-characteristics. maybe from an old stainless-sink, that should do the job. (allthough hard to cut)
Regards,
Sascha
The English is 'Spring Steel'

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253562980791

You useally have to heat treat it to your own requirements Sascha

Brian

grahamjb

Fantastic replies guys, now I know where to mount the horn  ;D

On my bike, the "Horn Bracket" was used to mount the ignition coil, see photos below.

grahamjb

Another beautiful 27 degree Autumn day today and the weekend temperature is going to be in the high 20's which will be perfect for the weekend overnight ride  :)

Only fitted the Steering Damper today as I was getting my bike and a mates bike ready for the weekend ride

Steering Damper photo below

Taz

Hello Graham.

Thanks for mentioning the weather ... enjoy your weekend out on the roads  :bike: while 15°C give us here in good ole Europe a perfect excuse to, after a sweet 90km round-trip, enjoy our post-barbeque beers in the living room...

Have fun, Taz
Ich hab noch nie einen Sarkasmus vorgetäuscht

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)
Cymru "Radnor Revivals" (2016)
Alba "Isle of Skye" (2013)
Austria Großglocknerhochalpenstrasse (2012)
Alba "Spittal of Glenshee" (2011)

grahamjb

I am back from the weekend ride (a short 800km round trip in beautiful 30 degree weather where too much beer was drunk by all riders)
(Western Australia has been in the news again and in the last few days there has been another shark attack, a third Irukandji Jellyfish sting and a guy being knocked off his Stand Up Paddle Board by a Dolphin surfing a wave so be warned if you come to WA and want to go for a swim in the ocean  ;D)

Went to put a new bearing on the Crown Wheel today and discovered a substantial groove worn into the shaft from the oil seal....this bike is really putting up a fight. I will fit a Speedi Sleeve over the shaft to fix the problem.

Photo of the groove on the shaft below

grahamjb

A frustrating and expensive day today.....Pressed on a new crown wheel bearing and heard a "click" and thought nothing of it. Pressed on a speedi sleeve to cover the groove on the shaft and trimmed off the excess sleeve length in the lathe and all was good or so I thought. Holding the bearing by the outer race I gave it a spin and I could feel roughness and hear clickity click as it rotated so one of the balls in the bearing may have cracked. I then removed the new $24.00 sleeve that is not reusable and the new $65.00 bearing and there is some roughness to it as the bearing spins. It feels like one ball is causing the trouble as it sometimes spins smoothly so I will order a new bearing from England when I get back from Europe at the end of June.

A question for the brains trust - In the rear drive unit there are two rubber rings that fit on each end of the coupling hub shaft. The Salis & Stemler diagrams show two rubber rings however the Ulis diagram only shows one rubber ring that I can see. Now, the Meyer site doesn't have a diagram of the R26 drive unit that I can find, however it does list a "rubber coupling hub cardan shaft R26/27 that looks the same as the Salis one which has a bevelled edge. Meyer also lists a "rubber washer driving plate R26/27" that is flat on both sides and has a smaller id. Do I need two of the Salis rubber rings (part# 33123038163) or Meyer (part#3038163) see part number 22 in the attached diagram; and where does the Meyer rubber driving plate fit (part#3038184)?

On a positive note I had new tyres and tubes fitted to the wheels today

Photos below

bwprice100

Yes there are 2 beveled rubbers, part number 33123038163. They sit either side of the curved gear coupling.
The help keep the drive shaft coupling in line.
https://goo.gl/photos/LoxFUYYt6UqvafAfA

grahamjb

Thanks Brian, I will have to order one more rubber!

Does the beveled side of the rubber ring face inwards towards the coupling gear teeth?

Cheers
GB

bwprice100

Zitat von: grahamjb am 03 Mai 2018, 03:02:11
Thanks Brian, I will have to order one more rubber!

Does the beveled side of the rubber ring face inwards towards the coupling gear teeth?

Cheers
GB
If I remember correctly :) yes.

grahamjb

Thanks again Brian, your replies are appreciated.

Decided to see if I could make the extra rubber ring for the drive shaft because we are heading off on a 5 week holiday overseas in two weeks; and making the rubber ring would allow me to assemble the rear drive unit before we left Australia.

Found a rubber suspension bush that was a bit larger than the rubber ring I need and decided that with a bit of work on the Linisher and a sanding drum in the drill, I should be able to to make a rubber ring.

The photos below tell the story and the home made rubber ring has the same flexibility and fits nicely  ;D

bwprice100

Looks good :)

grahamjb

Fitted a new Crown Wheel Bearing and Speedi Sleeve today along with new bearings on the Pinion Shaft

Photos below

grahamjb

Finished assembling the rear drive unit today.
Made a new spanner for the threaded ring and cover because I ruined the one I made when I was getting this unit apart. Removing the old Axial seal was difficult however the new seal was easy to drive into place using the collar from the exhaust pipe which was a perfect fit for the job.

As usual, the photos below are self explanitary

grahamjb

Last group of pictures for the rear drive unit assembly

grahamjb

The wife has got me on gardening duties so the only thing done today was making a bracket to mount the Power Dynamo Coil

Photo below

grahamjb

Cleaned up the brake shoes today and fitted new brake linings on one set only because the rear brake shoes have over size 4mm rivet holes and not the standard 3mm rivet holes. I have to track down some suitable size rivets before I can fitting the brake linings.

Also fitted the Earles Fork and started work on the cylinder head.

Photos below

Herculestom

Brian,

everything allright with you??? I am seriously concerned. I see a sink and a fridge in your "kitchen" which is fine. What about all these other strange kitchen tools? A benchgrinder and other funny things. Does your wife still love you or has she finally given up facing competition in form of a pre-historic 2-wheeler  ;D ;D ;D

Enjoy it
Tom
umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu

bwprice100

Zitat von: Herculestom am 09 Mai 2018, 19:27:00
Brian,

everything allright with you??? I am seriously concerned. I see a sink and a fridge in your "kitchen" which is fine. What about all these other strange kitchen tools? A benchgrinder and other funny things. Does your wife still love you or has she finally given up facing competition in form of a pre-historic 2-wheeler  ;D ;D ;D

Enjoy it
Tom
I think you are getting me and Graham mixed up. :)

Brian

grahamjb

Tom
Brian will prolly want to get a fridge and sink for his shed now that he has seen mine  ;D

FYI I have two fridges in my shed - the large one is my "Paint" fridge which is what I use for storing cans and tins of paint as it has multiple shelves, the door racks hold the aerosols and it is insulated keeping paint at a constant temperature which makes it last longer. There is a small fridge on top of the large fridge and the small fridge is a staging point for ice cold beer to be consumed as it is transferred from the other fridge in the garage  ;). A sink (and two fridges) is an absolute necessity in any mans shed; you can wash parts in it, quench red hot steel under the tap to harden it and most of all, wash your hands before you go inside the house.....this keeps the wife happy!

I also have a 32inch LCD TV and monitors fed from a number of satellite receivers in the electronics section of my shed...I used to watch Multichoice on PAS 10 (South Africa Foxtel) until they retired the C Band satellite which would reach into Western Australia just above the Horizon.

But enough of that...I put the front wheel on after golf today.

grahamjb

Went to fit the handlebars today and discovered that I had used the handlebar spacer tube (between the two Rubbers for each riser) as the top engine mount spacer tubes. Swapped over the spacer tubes and I now have the correct space tubes fitted in the top engine mount rubbers and the handlebar rubbers.

The purple wire is for the indicators that mount in the end of the handlebars.

This web forum will only allow me to post one file tonight.....must have reached a limit, sorry guys

Herculestom

Graham,

Brian doesn't need a fridge in his barn. He's living close to the North Pole. But I must admit a fridge in the workshop (like a oven for other reasons) has its charme. I have the same problem as you with solvents and other stuff. My shop is also heating up pretty much im summer. I have just taken them out into a cooler place.

Your bike looks nice. Well done, creative solutions.

Carry on!
Tom
umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu

grahamjb

Is anyone else being limited to posting 1 photo on the forum at the moment?

Borgward

Hi Graham,
Karl is currently working hard on the board s/w to get it complient to the new European Union data protection regulations that come into effect on 25th of May. Your limitation to 1 picture may be one side effect - just wait and see...

btw. In this respect you will probably see in the near future the updated privacy policy popping up when entering the board which must be acknowleged to get access.

just for test pupose I try to attach 2 pictures

update: 2 pictures worked!

Herculestom

Hi Borgward,

nur so, um mich schlau zu machen. Die Position der Hupe an der R 23 sieht für mich völlig daneben aus. Gehört die wirklich da hin?

Gruss
Tom
umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu

Heiko

Zitat von: Herculestom am 13 Mai 2018, 20:41:55
Hi Borgward,

nur so, um mich schlau zu machen. Die Position der Hupe an der R 23 sieht für mich völlig daneben aus. Gehört die wirklich da hin?

Gruss
Tom

Ich meine ja Tom.
Ariel motorcycles... upon which the sun never sets.

Herculestom

umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu

|