R26 Restoration by new member from Australia

Begonnen von grahamjb, 01 Oktober 2017, 06:42:07

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Taz

:applaus: I can only join the chorus....she's a real beauty and sounds great already...it is a pity that we will most probably never see her at the Edersee meeting :traurig:

best wishes, Taz
Ich hab noch nie einen Sarkasmus vorgetäuscht

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)
Cymru "Radnor Revivals" (2016)
Alba "Isle of Skye" (2013)
Austria Großglocknerhochalpenstrasse (2012)
Alba "Spittal of Glenshee" (2011)

Taz

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)

grahamjb

Thanks Taz, the bike has to stay here in Western Australian so I can show people a good looking and painfully slow motorbike  ;D

Taz

Zitat von: grahamjb am 02 September 2018, 13:24:29
... so I can show people a ... painfully slow motorbike  ;D ...

To answer with Dominic Toretto's words: "The only thing that matters is who is behind the handlebars!"  ;D

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)

Herculestom

Graham,

"painfully slow" ???? Make peace with it. I agree, it is a different way of riding a bike. I still use my GS for other trips in Africa. Many people, especially the older ones in the rural areas and the little villages will love you for riding this painfully slow bike. And one thing I must say is the following. I have never ever missed speed riding one of my oldtimers. Just decelerate, enjoy the landscape and the people around you. After very short time you'll love it, the relaxed way of biking.

Regards
Tom
umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu

grahamjb

Can't disagree with what you say Tom and although painfully slow, it is an enjoyable bike to ride and would be perfect to ride in Bali which is my second home. I love engaging second gear which straightens your back...... ;D

Speaking of Bali there is a Dover White R26 used as a shop display in a Tattoo shop and the owner won't sell it to me  :(

Have just finished re-adjusting the handlebars to better suit my arm reach  :)

The attached photo shows the Bali R26 (photo is from FB)

Jollyjester

It is a good to see you on the road at last, a but it will be A long and winding road to reach Nirvana, but the journey is another word for having fun.  It's the tinkering, it appears to me that with the very newish BMWs, this has been lost, you cannot tinker, just expensive annoying faults.

The best bit of your videos was actually the 'bird song'

My wife and I spent six weeks in Australia 96-7 & 2000-1.  We twice visited the Hunter Valley to sample the local produce,  but the bird song was something else again, there was a scruffy bird I think you call a magpie,  but it song was absolutely wonderful, and of course the kookaburra, early morning and late at night, certainly made me laugh.

We have Rellies in Perth, place called Butler.

One other thing, every time we went there, "Elvis was Live' in Freeo.  Did not go to see him.

The best bits was we were in NSW, 20 miles from Grafton, and there was a council election.

Placard on the tree, picture the man's face, and his slogan was " Joe Blow Your Local Bloke "

Wonderful country, over every hill, it's a different land.

grahamjb

Yes the Magpies or "Maggies" as we refer to them have a melodic warble which often goes all night when they are mating and they also are good at swooping you when nesting. They can be tamed easily with food and one of the golf courses where I play has a lot of maggies that follow particular players for food.
The Kookaburra is not native to Western Australia and is seen as a pest but it does have a catchy "Laugh" - My personal favourite is the Crow  or more correctly named Raven as they are very smart birds and have a lazy get stuffed type call. My wife hates them because they are a good scavenger and she has memories of them pecking out the eyes of dead lambs on the farm she used to live on.

And we have superior local produce in WA with the closest vineyard and brewery about 5km from my house  ;D

Your rellies are 40km north of where I live in Morley (8km north of Perth)

grahamjb

I have just returned from Bali and followed up on this R26 in a tattoo shop that was previously posted on facebook.

It is a 1957 model according to the ID plate and the engine and frame numbers match - It seems to be in reasonable condition apart from the Japanese carburettor and the dark grey finish on the motor/gearbox and it is still licenced.

Herculestom

umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu

grahamjb

Unfortunately it is not for sale as it gets a lot of new customers into the Tattoo shop

OldsCool!

Ich bin auf dem Dorf aufgewachsen. Ich wurde nicht erzogen, ich habe ÜBERLEBT!

grahamjb

Einzylindär

grahamjb

Fellow Beemers

My little R26 is still going nicely and people are still being eaten by sharks in Western Australia while the country is on fire....

My eldest son will be getting married in Amsterdam late December this year and since my wife and I will be paying for his wedding, we will also be touring parts of Europe and the British Isles. My question is are there any good BMW or other Motorcycle museums that I should look at while I am in the top part of the planet?

All suggestions and recommendations are appreciated.

Cheers
Graham

Taz

Hello Graham.

While in Europe you might want to combine pleasure with fun... by considering to visit the BMW-Museum in Munich (see https://www.bmw-welt.com/en/locations/museum.html for details) .... as this is quite a few miles south of Amsterdam you will have the opportunity to enjoy the german autobahn (famous for its non-existing speed-limit over long stretches as well as for its obscene number of construction sites).

Along the way you will find the Nuremburg museum for industrial culture (https://museums.nuernberg.de/museum-for-industrial-culture/) which not only provides a good insight into postwar Germany, but also honours the rich motorcycle-related history of Nuremberg as one of the hubs of motorcycle production from the early days on until the demise of the industry in the 60s with a large collection of locally built motorcycles (not too many BMWs, but beauties as well)....including the sole survivor of the ERMAG brand.

All the best, Taz (I will _not_ use my first name in the presence of Autralian people!)

PS: In case you would decide to come down here...let me know, maybe we can arange for a meeting...

PPS: Top part? Seriously? I think you are holding the world map upside down... ;D

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)

rolf

" people are still being eaten by sharks in Western Australia while the country is on fire.."

;D...with a little smell of misbehavior

Taz

Re. the fires...I heard that they finally were able to take some of that evil carbon dioxide (that, according to well-informed European press, was behind all those terrible fires) into custody...bright police guys as these nasty molecules did look like ordinary human asshole arsonists to me...

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)

grahamjb