R2...there is not a second chance to make a first impression, :-(

Begonnen von dequincey, 23 Mai 2017, 09:06:33

« vorheriges - nächstes »

dequincey

Hello again,

yes it seems that i do not know how this fórum Works, i blocked the first thread to answers, and i am unable to edit and correct the problem, apologies for that.

so here i am again from the start, a DIY guy, blah, blah, blah,...

i am not so good looking, so take a look to her, a 1934 R2 3rd series, please :-)

regards und MFG

if once a man indulges himself in m.

dequincey

dequincey

a bit of my story on this Little bike,

After a long journey through chemical photography and when those needed films, fluids, and so on become scarce, i decided it was time for something new. I was interested in fiddling with a mechanical object, so a bike seemed to me the perfect choice. i discovered the prewar bmw bikes, and being the 2 cyl so expensive i looked at the smaller ones, this R2 popped up in my radar and i was instantly in love with her

it was nicely restored, but some elements were not of my taste, so during these last 10 years i have been doing very Little things to her, she never run great and i was somehow blocked by the lack of information in english (not to speak about spanish, virtually nothing)

i had other things to do in the meantime so i was somehow distracted from this path

my aim is to know what to do, get the specifications, ideas and tips, and proceed Little by Little improving the performance, trying to reach the level that was achieved when she left the factory

hope this sounds reasonable

thank you

rolf

Your first answer.....
it is reasonable....did yoù ever drive at max Speed? ...how múch (spanish Version : ù....for yoùr pleasúre, I hope it is easier for yoù ;D) is her max. speed

bwprice100

Very nice bike. :)

Brian

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

dequincey

Zitat von: rolf am 23 Mai 2017, 09:52:58
Your first answer.....
it is reasonable....did yoù ever drive at max Speed? ...how múch (spanish Version : ù....for yoùr pleasúre, I hope it is easier for yoù ;D) is her max. speed

vielen danke Rolf and Brian,

no, i have been driving her very slow speeds (about 30 Km/h) i recall did not reached 3rd gear, and not for a long time,

i will explain the process and feelings, but essentially i am not confident to go further distances or speeds yet as i feel braking is very poor for example

i hope you will appreciate if i describe my level of knowledge and skills, i have a technical background not only a degree in mech. eng. but experience in dealing with a four Wheel youngtimer (1971) including overhauling engine, carbs, suspensión, brakes, electrics, upholstery, AC, ...usw, i do all the maintenance and tuning of this car including some nice period correct upgrades as a Bosch TDZ ignition module.

i have a decent set of tools, including strobo gun, vaccum meters, and even a Bosch motortester, CO meter, and oszilloscope from the eighties in working condition that i use to check ignition and engine tuning

i have been able to read all the technical literature around this youngtimer, but unable to find equivalent documents for the 1934 bike unfortunately

as to the R2 i need to revise:

- brakes, front one is working, i do not know if it can be improved with new pads / rear brake does virtually nothing

- clutch Works properly, no worries here

- engine is my biggest worry, and it comprises a lot of things:

1- ignition: i would like to set ignition properly, and here will be my first questions
2- lichtmaschine, i asume it is a dynamo, not an alternator, i would need wiring diagrams, in my opinión is not correctly wired, unable to know if it is charging properly
3- piston/rings/... i asume something is wrong there, black smoke, sometimes White/blue is comming from there, but as i am not comfortable with ignition i can not discard too much advance or retard or both, or running rich as the culprit
4- combustión, carburettor, mixed feelings

so, right now my table is a mess, i would like to go step by step

do you think is better to open an specific thread for each topic or stay here and start with ignition ?

MFG

Dappsull

¡Hola dequincey!

Maybe it makes sense to open separate threads for the individual topics, otherwise it might become a mess (well, it will get messy anyway sooner or later, according to my experience ^;).
I don't know, if you already found the documents and if they are of any help to you?

cheers
D.

dequincey

Zitat von: Dappsull am 23 Mai 2017, 12:26:48
   ¡Hola dequincey!

Maybe it makes sense to open separate threads for the individual topics, otherwise it might become a mess (well, it will get messy anyway sooner or later, according to my experience ^;).
I don't know, if you already found the documents and if they are of any help to you?

cheers
D.

Thank you D.

thank you for the documents, i already had the facsímile editions, but those pictures are good to describe and to ask questions here, i will use them, thanks,

i would love specifications, as iginiton time angle (How much BTDC should i place), points gap and dwell angle, ...definiton of marks, signals in flywheel, and torque settings,...

i agree, i will open separate threads, is better also for topic searchs in the future.

i will keep this one only to share a couple more pics of the lady so fórum friends can comment on originality and several other aspects, pure comparison

MFG

Dappsull

Hola,

I am no R2 expert at all, but if you check p.52 of this document

there's a diagram. If I interpret correctly, the ignition is set at top dead centre (=O.T.) and the rest is done manually during drive by changing the lever settings (there is some explanation along the document, how to do this, but I am sure you knew that anyway).
Point gap setting is the usual 0.4 mm.
Do you have any marks on your flywheel (OT, S, F....?)
Cheers
D.