R26 speedometer hasn't run in a long time

Begonnen von BSA Bob, 30 August 2021, 12:50:28

« vorheriges - nächstes »

BSA Bob

My R26 speedometer was working when laid up but it hasn't run in about 35 years.
Would it be dangerous to start it up now?
I was thinking of hooking up the cable & turning it over slowly with a hand drill for a while, & then speeding it up.

BSA Bob

4Taktix

Hi Bob,
I'd first check with a skewer or simlar in the square hole, if there is any noticeable resistance.
If yes, this is probably from gummy old grease, then put the speedo in a warm environment for a while and try again later.
If there's less resistance then, you'd probably have to open it up and clean and regrease.
If the needle moves directly with your twist, the bell is probably "connected" somehow to the magnetic rotor. (rust or stain)
If so, you shouldn't turn it with a drill by no means. This will destroy the little volute spring, which brings the needle back to default position.
But this is very unlikely, apart the speedo spent the 35 years in a very moist / salty / dirty environment.
If the needle just twitches and comes back to zero on its own, there should be nothing against turning it over.

Regards,
Sascha
Think outside the box !

BSA Bob

Hi Sascha
The instrument turned over easily, so I tried a hand drill. The needle gives an indication & then drops back to zero, so I think the speedometer's OK. :thumbup: