Fuel dripping from carb/air cleaner connector

Begonnen von euro518, 02 Oktober 2011, 17:30:16

« vorheriges - nächstes »

euro518

Hello all. It's been a while since I've read any new postings on the English channel of the Einzylinder-Forum. So, I thought I would post something that seems to be ongoing with my R26. After even a short ride, I've noticed fuel dripping from the connector (there is a hole in the bottom of the rubber connector which I surmise is for this purpose) b/w the carb and the air cleaner. My guess is that heat from the cylinder is warming the fuel in the carb float chamber which, when the engine is shut off and no longer using fuel, drips out the so-called vent hole. When the engine is running and therefore using fuel, this does not happen. Has anyone else observed this?

Kevin
Saskatchewan, Canada

euro518

rolf

Hey Kevin....it seems to be your Floater (? Schwimmer) /better: Floater needle doesn't fit....if the engfine is running the engine needs so much fuel that it is impossible to overfloating (?) the floaterchamber....when it stops......fuel gets higher an higher until it drops out of the Connector.
Rolf p(idgin)

euro518

Hallo Rolf. I have a new needle in the carb so perhaps it's the wrong one. Note, the carb does NOT leak when the engine is running, as I said in my initial posting. I will try switching needles, as I have another (or two) spare.

Kevin

Kurt in S.A.

Try turning off your petcock a block or two before coming to a stop.  That burns the fuel level down, thus allowing any fuel expansion to hopefully not overflow while the heat from the engine soaks the carb.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.

rolf

I have understand it...not leaking while running....leaking when engine isn't running...right?

euro518

euro518

In reply to Kurt's suggestion, I tried that yesterday and it worked. Well, sort of worked. I shut the petcock off about six houses from mine and ran out of fuel a house too early. Luckily I was able to coast into our driveway ... perfect three point landing.

Kevin

Kurt in S.A.

Kevin -

My guess is you had no leaks!   :juhuu:  I've noticed the same thing on my R25/2...the amount of fuel in the float bowl doesn't go very far...not as far as on the /7 and R69S float bowls.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.

rolf

At least : never let the fuelcock open when engine isn't running....it is normal that the floater runs over (?) when the engine stands for several hours.