New member with 1934 R4 questions

Begonnen von vintagerust, 01 Dezember 2021, 00:42:44

« vorheriges - nächstes »

vintagerust

Good afternoon all, from Canada.
I have purchased a series 3 R4 as a non runner, - mostly complete.  I have had it running, nicely.   It is time to find out which parts are missing from the steering damper/forks/front axel.  I have a copy of the original manual but am having trouble determining exactly which parts go where and in what order. 
Does any have, or can draw for me an exploded view of the steering damper with part descriptions as well as the front forks and axel?
My front brake is locking up when the front axel is tightened, so I think I am missing a part or two or they are assembled in the wrong order.  Same with steering damper assembly.   Finally advice as to where best to purchase any missing parts once I determine what they are?

vintagerust

Kees

Not really an exploded view, but all parts are there in the diagrams and usually in the desired sequence.

cwf

You might have to spend some time on Google translate : https://emw-oldtimer.de/BMW-R2-R3-R4

I've written a list of parts in English and German, with part numbers (I have an R 35), it helps with ordering, checking orders are correct etc.

Also try ebay.de or vintagebmw.org (old BMW USA), good luck, Charlie.

vintagerust

Thank you for the information, I have been away from my desk for a bit and so now able to reply. 
I have a copy of the original parts manual but I dont find that the parts are always indicated in the order of assembly, so I am not sure if I am missing parts on my bike or not.  I am speaking specifically of the steering damper assembly, and the front axle assembly for the BMW 1934 R4. 

If anyone could send me a diagram, even hand drawn, of the order parts are assembled for the front axel and/or the steering damper, I would be grateful.   

Alternately, if it is easier, I can post a diagram of what I have for parts and the order they were assembled when I got the bike (which I suspect is incorrrect), and maybe someone can advise me as to any missing parts or incorrect assembly? 

thank you

David Grenfell

Hi,
I have just removed the front wheel from my 1934 R2 (purchased as a non-runner in barn-find condition; not been apart for 50+ years), and when the split-pin was removed from the axle the castle nut was only a little more that finger tight! Are you overtightening the axel?
Good luck with the suspension. I have not dismanteled mine as I am concentrating on getting it running.
Stay upright and safe!
Dave