Pre War BMW part numbers

Begonnen von guyfang, 19 Dezember 2010, 21:24:29

« vorheriges - nächstes »

guyfang

Good evening all.

Back to part numbers. Kurt, you told me BMW part numbers consist of 11 numbers. Not so. Or better said, yes and no. Pre war part numbers are 10 numbers long. I think that because no one ever LOOKED at a pre war manual, none of us noticed. You all never had a reason to look! None of you have a pre war bike.

When I was first looking for part numbers, I was using an R24 manual by mistake. We have at last obtained an original R20-R23 parts manual. All BMW part numbers are 10 numbers long, in the R20-R23 manual. ALSO, the first three numbers, for instance 220 or 223, refer to the "BAU MUSTER" (BMW internal model number) given to each bike during design and construction.

In the archives of the BMW Einzylinder  web site is a document refered to as "Technische Daten für Instandsetzungen für BMW Krafträder", (another original document we have obtained) that lists all the pre war bikes, along with important technical information for each bike. The bikes are listed on the left side of the page, along with the Baumuster number. The R20 is 220. The R23 is 223. Therefore, the first three numbers in the BMW part number can identify what model bike it goes to, if it is a part ONLY used for that particular model bike. According to the BMW parts manual for the R20—R23, on page 4, the Ausgabe März, 1941, (Issued March 1941), Ergänzt Mai 1942, (Updated 1942), the Beispiel, (example) part number for a throttle cable for the R20 is 220 1 13 055 0. I looked up several parts that were R23 only items, and they all had parts numbers like the Zylinder, (cylinder), (R23 only) had, 223 1 14 050 0.

I am going to shoot an email to BMW, and see if the historian can give me more info. I am also going to try to get other pre war parts manuals and see if the Baumuster number is the same as parts number for other models.

Now, its 21:06 and I need to go out one last time to clean the snow off the sidewalks. I wish you all a good night!

MFG,
Guy

guyfang

Kurt in S.A.

Guy -

I posed this interesting question to the Vintage BMW MO forum where a few of the people have prewar bikes.  One of the guys who has an R52, seems to think that there were about 3 parts systems before the war and 2 after the way.  He breaks them down this way:

- Back to the late 20s, BMW specific parts usually included the sub assembly design as the first few digits of a number. So anything that begins M 56 belongs to an engine from the R62, R11 or R12, or their OHV sisters, the R63, R16 and R17. Parts sourced outside of BMW generally have a 5 digit number. Updates or changes are reflected as lower case letters on the end of the number.

- For the bikes up through the R52/R57, the numbering scheme is a bit of a mystery. The part numbers don't seem to have any strong rule to them for length or division.

- After the war, BMW came out with a 7 digit part numbering system, which was used through the end of the /3 series of bikes. These numbers have a 2 digit main group, a 2 digit subgroup and a 3 digit part number.

- When the Earles fork bikes came out, BMW recognized that they needed a bigger number space, so they moved to the 11 digit scheme.

- The 10 digit system mentioned came in with the R5, I believe, and if I understand it right, all motorcycle specific parts begin with a 2, as it was decreed by government.

I'll be interested to hear with BMW has to say.  If they have any specific on-line references to this, I'd look forward to reading it.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.

Rütz

Hi,
at Hugget's there is a quite official explanation of at least the last three partnumber systems:
http://www.bmwbike.com/index.php?l=english&n=1&c=2

Take care,
Ruetz
I never dared to be radical when young.
For fear it would make me conservative when old. (Robert Frost)

guyfang

Thanks Ruetz!

That link explains it all. I have sent an email off to BMW, but the link to Hugget's sounds about right. Now its off to once again shovel snow. My kingdom for some sun!

Guy

Taz

Hello Guy.

It could be worse....imagine living in Norway...six months of snow and ice...and the rest of the year winter ;D

Best regards, Tas A(lso hating the white stuff as there's too much salt on our roads then to move the bike :traurig:)
Ich hab noch nie einen Sarkasmus vorgetäuscht

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)
Cymru "Radnor Revivals" (2016)
Alba "Isle of Skye" (2013)
Austria Großglocknerhochalpenstrasse (2012)
Alba "Spittal of Glenshee" (2011)