Jammed rear wheel BMW R25/3

Begonnen von guest1081, 04 Juli 2015, 15:35:10

« vorheriges - nächstes »

guest1081

Hello

Just started my R25/3, and on the first run the rear wheel jammed. Also a lot of oil comming out from the cylinder.
Piston runs freely.

What could have happend ?

Jesper
:Frage: :Frage:

guest1081

Taz

Hello Jesper.

Sounds like bad luck....your list of symptoms isn't too specific, so a coordinated approach might be helpful.

What is the maintenance status of the bike...engine, gear box, rear wheel gear box..all well used and been known for running well for a considerable time, some components just dismantled/rebuild/ overhauled....

The wheel is jammed...still jammed or running free again, kardan shaft jammed or ok, gear box operational or jammed...

Where does the engine actually spill oil ( at which gasket) ... during operation or even when switched off?

Without shedding some addional light it will remain a mystery I am afraid.

Kind regards, Taz
Ich hab noch nie einen Sarkasmus vorgetäuscht

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)
Cymru "Radnor Revivals" (2016)
Alba "Isle of Skye" (2013)
Austria Großglocknerhochalpenstrasse (2012)
Alba "Spittal of Glenshee" (2011)

guest1081

Hello

The oil came out between the cylinder and the cylinderhead.
It only comes out when the engine is started.
The kardan is jammed always, the piston runs freely and the gearbox works fine.
I can also start the engine.
If you need more info please write.

Jesper

Taz

Hello Jesper.

Thanks for providing further information.

So the engine seems to be ok (as far as it can be said from the information provided), only the head gasket area seems to have an issue...do you happen to know when this gasket has been replaced the last time and if, at which time the screws holding down the head have been re-tightened? There may be a small chance that the gasket isn't compressed properly, but both tightening the bolts as well as replacing the gasket will require the valves to be readjusted.

If the engine and the gear box seem unjammed,  but the kardan.shaft and the wheel seem to be stuck then the wheel gear box might be the culprit...opening while still mounted isn't possible...if the oil screws show that this gear box still contains oil and the oil doesn't show metal parts when emptied you might want to remove the rear wheel and disconnect the kardan from the main gear box (the maintenance manuals available for download here show exactly how this is done)..that way you could.check whether the jamming is caused by the rear wheel bearings (can of course be checked after wheel and axle removal directly) or the rear gear box...

Are you familiar with working on your bike or.would you have to find a pair of helping hands?

Kind regards, Taz

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)

guest1081

Hello

Could there be a connection between the heavy oil dripping and the jammed kardan ?
Both appeared at the same time.
Could the pushrods be damaged?

Jesper

rolf

guest1081

Hello

Where is all the oil comming from?
Very thin oil.
Perhaps your are right, could be gasoline,very black.

I can swing the rear tire a little, so i suppose that it is the drive shaft jamming.
Just mounted a new cylinderhead and new valves, top gasket could have been damaged.

Jesper

guest1081

Hello again

Is it ok that there is a little slag in the pushrods, when the pistion is in top ?

Jesper

mekgyver

Hi Jesper,
please give us some pics, it's easier to locate the leaks,
and sorry, the rear wheel has nothing to do with a pushrod or piston
Greets, mek  :schrauber:
... 73er-Gang

rolf

Oil or gasoline....what is the difference?...coming through a gasket?...the gaskét is leaking!
Slag, Pushrod...piston is in the top?...whaT IS THE CONTEXT??....if the piston isn't on the top there is no slag?

guest1081

Hello

The jammed rear wheel was coursed by the round nut. It had run loose, coursing the kardan to jam.

Thanks for your most kind advises.

Jesper

Taz

Hello Jesper.

Thanks for coming back to us and providing the cause for the jamming issue.

What about the leaking gasket...where you able to tackle that issue as well already? Your description so far hints to a major issue with the head gasket leaking oil...if retightening the screws with the proper torque won't do the trick I would recommend replacing the gasket before starting to rid the bike again...you never knwo when the amount of lost oil will reach a critical status...and risking the engine's life for this sounds a wee bit unwise  ;)

Kind regards, Taz

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)

guest1081

Hello

I have ordered new gasket at Ulish as well as a new nut.
I wondered if it could help adding some blue loctite to the nut.

Tightening the bolts at the cylinderhead at which torghe?

Jesper