Test Oil Pump when Installed

Begonnen von Jollyjester, 29 Januar 2015, 16:47:29

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Jollyjester

My 1951 R25 is almost ready to run. Just awaiting the tank.
Wishing to ensure that the oil was pumping up to the cylinder head and valves, I made this simple 'tool'

In the past I have used 200 kicks on the lever, with the plug removed, and *&^%$£* up my knee. Also tried pushing up and down the road, when I was younger.

But this has done the trick.

8 mm steel rod, 4 flats filed one end. Length you can work out from the 'inches ' ruler. Inches are still legal in Britain.

Remove the gear drive rod, replace with the 'special tool'. Feel it locate  the oil pump, and by hand you will find resistance from the oil.

Attach an electric drill, and at the lowest speed, run clockwise.

With a rocker arm disconcerted, and the oil feed tube removed, you will soon see oil gush up into the head.

That's all.

As they say in Donkey Burger Bars, "Enjoy"

The Jolly Jester

Jollyjester

Taz

Hey Jolly Jester.

Thanks for sharing....mind, I am not all convinced about the inch thing...I had a colleague from the UK years ago who once complained that he went to hardware store to by a wooden board...he had the measurements from back home in inches, the rookie at the store was too young to know these and insisted on the dimensions being provided in cm...in the end he had to buy the board at another store  :kopfhau:

Kind regards, Taz l(istening to the birdsong promising a spring to come)
Ich hab noch nie einen Sarkasmus vorgetäuscht

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)
Cymru "Radnor Revivals" (2016)
Alba "Isle of Skye" (2013)
Austria Großglocknerhochalpenstrasse (2012)
Alba "Spittal of Glenshee" (2011)

4Taktix

Moin Jolly,
well done, looks very professional !
I had the same Idea, but did it in my lumpen-butcher-style:
Cut off the straight piece of a clothhanger for pants, approx. 1/4 " dia, forged one end flat to fit the square hole of the oilpump diagonal
and wrapped some windings of maskingtape around the other end to have some grip for manual mode.
Fits also the chuck of an eletric drill. Works well also.

Greetings across the channel

Sascha
Think outside the box !