R26 broken frame

Begonnen von Garnet Grylls, 25 Dezember 2004, 01:34:20

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Garnet Grylls

Merry Christmas!
I was just out on my Christmas eve ride and thougt I was hearing something odd so I stopped to listen. I discoverd my frame was broken completely through between the left lower engine mount and the foot peg. :( :\'( I managed to ride home but by then the frame tubes were no longer aligned and the drive shart was making a rubbing noise.
Can I pry the tubes back in line and but weld them or should I slide a pipe over first and then weld. Is mig welding OK. I know this is my fault because I haven't updated my crankshaft.
Thanks
Garnet

Garnet Grylls

Karl

Hello Garnet,

Merry Christmas also to you   :D

Seems you had bad luck this eve; broken frames on BMW single cylinders is a well known problem. I had this problem last year; my frame (R25) broke while driving home on a highway ... this wasn't funny at all!

You can weld your frame, but you must place *inside* the frame at the point of rupture an additional tube; this tube is strenghtening the frame at this point. Weld the frame carefully.

Note: check at first if your frame is somehow twisted / warped ... in this case you will have to adjust it again.

Kind regards,
Karl
Support this Board: Wer das Forum unterstützen möchte, kann das gerne per PAYPAL machen. Und hier findet Ihr meine Amazon Wunschliste.

Garnet

Hi Karl!
Thank you for your quick reply. How will I be able to slide a tube inside the frame once the tubes are lined up? Should I cut a few mm out of the frame to slide inner tube and then fill with welding?
I should also balance my crankshaft. My bike originally has an aluminium conrod and someone replaced it with a steel rod and did not update the crank ( it vibrates badley ). Can the early crank be balanced or do I need to find a latter crank from an R27. Both Ulis and Mark Huggit say they can fix my old one but I am in Canada and the shipping gets expensive. Do you know of any used ones?
Happy Holidys :)
Garnet