Electronic Voltage Regulator for R25/2

Begonnen von Kurt in S.A., 21 Mai 2016, 23:22:44

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Kurt in S.A.

Can someone direct me to discussions about a electronic voltage regulator suitable for an R25/2?  I've had an on-going issue with acid coming out of my battery.  I've had three batteries in the bike...the first was a water-fill type that didn't last long, then I tried a solid state no-maintenance battery which failed on me while I was out on the road.  The source (Vech at Bench Mark Works USA) I bought my battery from suggests that the no-maintenance type of batteries don't stand up to the vibration levels on the singles.  So, I bought another fill-type battery.  It works fine, but for some reason I'm getting acid coming out of the caps.

I thought it might be over charging, but I've had an analog voltmeter attached and the voltage never exceeds 6.8v or so...that suggests no over charging.  I next thought that it might be vibrating the battery a LOT.  Turns out I didn't have a rubber pad underneath the battery in the tray...but adding a rubber pad hasn't helped.

So, I'm back to considering changing the voltage regulator to an electronic type.  Any past discussions or suggestions as to what might be worth considering?

Thanks...Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

Kurt in S.A.

Kurt in S.A.

mekgyver

Zitat von: Kurt in S.A.
  It works fine, but for some reason I'm getting acid coming out of the caps.

Hi Kurt,
this is a well known prob about 50 years  ::)  :kotz:

Since aprox 15 years the technoligies has developed modern AGM-batteries  eg.
those types has no liqid acid and are mauntainance-free, if used in manufactured conditions.
I wrote many hints about that.

I'm using over 14 years a panasonic batterie 6V 4,5 Ah , they will be working over 10 years
and is a best fitting batterie for a R25/2.

regards , mek  :prost:  :schrauber:  :bike:
... 73er-Gang

Kurt in S.A.

Thanks...I different battery is certainly way cheaper than going the electronic regulator direction! 

I'll look harder at that.

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

KillerTux

I had the same problem with my R25/3, it was with the Blitz batteries. There are a few different styles of the B49-6 battery. There are 8AH with a lower acid level and a 10AH and 12AH batteries with higher acid levels and different plate setups.

I moved to the battery listed below and had no issues. Located in the US.

http://www.staabbattery.com/product/mcc-06/B49-6-Y.html

Has enough room in the battery for the acid to move around without spilling out during turns and bumps.

I also have a new, spare electronic regulator that I will let go for $75, let me know if you are interested. Thanks!

bwprice100

Could you use a 12V battery but run as a 6V?

www.eBolt.co.uk www.TooolroomChucks.co.uk

mekgyver

Zitat von: bwprice
Could you use a 12V battery but run as a 6V?

I'm astonished and rather disappointed.
... don't mix the board voltage systems !  ::)

regards mek  :schrauber:

... 73er-Gang

bwprice100

Zitat von: mekgyver am 26 Mai 2016, 23:08:28
I'm astonished and rather disappointed.
... don't mix the board voltage systems !  ::)

regards mek  :schrauber:
Nothing wrong with this, a 12v battery only charged up to 6v will last much longer.

Kurt in S.A.

KillerTux -

I'm already using the Staab battery.  That was what Vech sold me last time...I ended up painting it black, leaving a strip open so I could see the water level.

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

OldsCool!

Zitat von: bwprice100 am 27 Mai 2016, 09:39:29
Nothing wrong with this, a 12v battery only charged up to 6v will last much longer.
I'd charge it to 8V, so you have some reserves and the lights shine brighter  :-X

For all others reading this thread: Please don't listen this complete bulls...t  :o
Sorry!
Ich bin auf dem Dorf aufgewachsen. Ich wurde nicht erzogen, ich habe ÜBERLEBT!

bwprice100

How would you charge it to 8v with a 6V charging system.

You may insult me by saying it is total bull but you have not come up with any constructive engineering reason why not.

?

bwprice100

There is some information here
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_cycle_battery

As we have no starter motor using a battery at 45-50% of its capacity does increase its life.
There is lot more to this but if you look at the Thevenin equivalent internal resistance of an ideal voltage source then the lower the better.

Feel free to step in with a counter argument or is 'total bull' the limit of your argument?

I hope this helps Brian

OldsCool!

Sorry, no means to insult you. Anyway your idea remains nonsense. Don't mix up capacity with voltage. The difference between 12V and 6V batteries is the number of cells used. In theory also a pretty discharged 12V battery will still deliver 12V, but no more Power. This results in reality in an immediate collapse of the voltage once you drain current. The voltage drop strongly depends on the residual capacity and drained current, so it'll be hard to level it to a fixed value. I'd pretend that if you try to discharge a 12v battery down to 6V, it will completely die before you can get even near 6V (anyway never tried).

No hard feelings,

Steffen

Kurt in S.A.

A bit of an update...I haven't been able to locate any suitable battery but thought I'd experiment.  This picture shows my battery into which I've inserted pipettes from those spray cans, like WD-40.  The idea was to raise the height to which the fluid had to go to "overflow".  I didn't realize that the center of each cap comes off revealing a large center hole (where the battery acid can slosh into) and smaller holes around the edges where the acid drains back.  I had to zip tie the battery to the tray as the rubber strap would interfere with the small pipes.

I went for a ride...not a drop of acid came out.  I'm still leaning towards a vibration issue rather than an overcharging problem.  With the extra height for the fluid to go, it just can't get that high to dribble out.

Not sure what I'll do with this information.  But I'm hoping it will lead me somewhere.  Clearly it would be nice to find a suitable sealed battery.  My discussions with my parts supplier in the US is that most sealed batteries have very weak material inside them and the singles vibrate too much and destroy those connections.  I'd rather not be the on-road tester of batteries!

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

OldsCool!

Hi Kurt,

This problem is well known, so is the solution:

Buy an empty battery housing of same size (available on ebay, mostly labeled for "AWO") or rip off an old battery. Then get the Panasonic 6V 4.5Ah LC-R064R5P lead - acid battery for ten bucks and put it in the empty housing covered in some damping material (e.g. camping mat).

Voila! Never issues with acid. If you go for longer runs, take a second panasonic with you as spare just in case. It's very small.

BR

Steffen