R27 clutch push rod question

Begonnen von Old Bob UK, 22 September 2017, 11:46:34

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Old Bob UK

Hello all,
             is anyone able to tell me if the R27 clutch push rod is supposed to be in
two pieces with a small single ball bearing between the two? I do know the R25/2
has this arrangement and is clearly shown in parts diagrams. The R27 diagrams
do not show this. I,ll continue with the long story dependant on your replies!
Regards, Bob.

Old Bob UK

OldsCool!

Hi Bob,

R26 and R27 are using a one-piece clutch push rod, because the contact point to the clutch pressure plate is a cone, no more a square-cut. So there is no more need to have the rotation-friendly solution with the ball bearing between.

best regards,

Steffen
Ich bin auf dem Dorf aufgewachsen. Ich wurde nicht erzogen, ich habe ÜBERLEBT!

Taz

Hello Bob.

Please see also http://monos.r25-bike.de/#dstange_EN for details and sketches...

Kind regards, Taz
Ich hab noch nie einen Sarkasmus vorgetäuscht

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)
Cymru "Radnor Revivals" (2016)
Alba "Isle of Skye" (2013)
Austria Großglocknerhochalpenstrasse (2012)
Alba "Spittal of Glenshee" (2011)

Kurt in S.A.

My R25/2 did come with a two piece rod, but no small ball bearing in between.  It consisted of a long rod with a smaller rod at the back end.  The small rod had a female end which fit over the aft protruding male end of the longer rod.  It did have the square forward end, making it interesting to insert.  One member on this forum provided details on a small "tool" which helped to guide the forward end into the receptacle.

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

Old Bob UK

Many thanks to you all. The table is very informative but leads to more confusion!
On removing the actuator a short piece comes out with it, as with R25 parts A+ B
(spot the ball Kurt?) My confusion-
Should the 27 be 1 solid piece A to E?
On this one it seems it has 1part A-B and presumably C-E. and a small ball between the two,
which doesn't look like it should be there, but without it the clutch lever goes solid before actually
pushing the rod. (which also happened when the ball on the R25 went astray).
This whole exercise happened when the owner tried to eliminate or locate a bit of a noise on disengaging
the clutch. He was convinced it was the thrust actuator bearing. When I finally heard the noise it was
a frightening cross between whining and groaning depending on revs! Impossible to isolate as it sounds
throughout the engine casing.
Any thoughts?
Regards Bob.
P.S.  is the tabular overview available for R50 ?

Kurt in S.A.

No ball in my case.  Don't see how it would help when the short piece fits over the longer piece at the back.  My clutch continues to work just fine after my engine overhaul.

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

OldsCool!

Hi Kurt,

the ball is mandatory to let the long rod spin with the clutch whereas the back part keeps static. Also you should miss 5mm of actuation. Often the bearing ball is subject to wear and therefore disappears over time (residuals to be found inside the short rod) due to long periods of pulled clutch instead of neutral waiting for green light etc..

best regards,

Steffen
Ich bin auf dem Dorf aufgewachsen. Ich wurde nicht erzogen, ich habe ÜBERLEBT!

Kurt in S.A.

Steffen -

Not sure what to say...maybe my parts were replaced earlier.  The bike was a police bike from about 1955 to 1970.  The cylinder was already 1st over when I did the slinger cleaning.  So, maybe it was changed.  Here's the parts that I took out.  Maybe the ball is stuck inside??  Anyway, the bike shifts fine...not sure I want to take it apart.

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

Taz

Hello Kurt.

Looks like a perfect R25/3 clutch push rod to me...the ball quite often seems to be stuck inside the short part, but can be seen or sensed with a nail or similar, when crossing the hole ground there..if it works. leave it...never change a winning team.

@Bob: R26/R27 is a solid piece of steel, you are right (mind you, the replacement parts sold for R25/3 and earlier are one piece now as well)...the ball needs to be in there as Steffen has explained...and sorry, the R50 and up are neither covered nor is there a table planned...I started this some years ago and as you can see there are still parts only half-covered or even missing completely even with only the post war monos included...

Kind regards, Taz
Ich hab noch nie einen Sarkasmus vorgetäuscht

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)
Cymru "Radnor Revivals" (2016)
Alba "Isle of Skye" (2013)
Austria Großglocknerhochalpenstrasse (2012)
Alba "Spittal of Glenshee" (2011)

Old Bob UK

Thanks Taz,
                 as stated earlier on r27 a short pushrod came out with the thrust assy, similar to
the r25 but with no deep bore for the ball, just a shallow detent. The owner  also has an r50
and this has the same set up,minus ball, contrary to all parts lists. What I would call 2 piece ??
However I do believe the ball may have been introduced in an effort to get proper adjustment.
Possibly lost adjustment due to displaced crank, front main bearing or whatever, causing the noise.
Either way the engine must come out further investigation. Hey Ho. We'll see." I'm just going out,
I may be gone some time."
Regards Bob.