Being force-fed Denglish

Begonnen von † odeon8, 06 September 2010, 15:38:05

« vorheriges - nächstes »

† odeon8

I recently did something I haven't done in over ten years in Germany: I had a pizza delivered. Although I was not aware of it before, this is apparently something a person can no longer actually do in German, location aside. The phone conversation went something like this:

Me: Ich möchte eine grosse Pizza bestellen.
Junge Stimme am Telefon: Ein Large?
Me: Ja, eine grosse Pizza.
JsaT: Also ein Large?
Me: Ja, gut, ein Large eben.
JsaT: Was möchten Sie drauf haben?
Me: Rote Paprika und Speck.
JsaT: Bacon?
Me: Meinetwegen auch Bacon, ja.
JsaT: Sick croost?
Me: Wie bitte?
JsaT: Was für ein Croost wollen Sie? Sick oder sin?
Me: Ach, der Boden. Dünn bitte, schön knusprig.
JsaT: Also sin croost?
Me: Ja, ja, thin crust.
JsaT: Und mit oder ohne extra cheese?
Me: Nein, ganz normaler Käse bitte.
JsaT: Kein extra cheese?
Me: [Resorting to English in annoyance] No, no extra cheese. How much will that be please?
JsaT: Können Sie bitte Deutsch sprechen? Ich kann kein Englisch.

After I had hung up in amazement, and finished laughing, I began to wonder: Are there other areas where the same thing is happening? Where English terms have overwritten the German to the point where German is no longer accepted/understood?
The fascinating thing is that there is a perfectly good German word for each and every English term the young and perhaps intelligence-challenged young woman on the phone demanded from me. But I only got my pizza after parroting back the English. Odd and slightly disturbing in a weird way.

;D Thomas
HUBRAUMISTDURCHNIXZUERSETZENAUSSERDURCHNOCHMEHRHUBRAUM

† odeon8

Karl

Thomas, please feel free to visit me in Offenbach. The local german language was substituted already Years ago with a conglomerate of turkish, pakistani or romanian words.

So if you want to order a Pizza here, you have to be really multi-cultural and multi-culinarical ;-)
Support this Board: Wer das Forum unterstützen möchte, kann das gerne per PAYPAL machen. Und hier findet Ihr meine Amazon Wunschliste.

Beach

Shit happens!

Taz

Hello Thoma's.

As long as them German's are using the imported word's correctly one might consider tolerating it (although it's a shame in any case)...but think about "body bags" and "public viewing", e.g. ... *urks*

All the best, Tas

Ich hab noch nie einen Sarkasmus vorgetäuscht

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)
Cymru "Radnor Revivals" (2016)
Alba "Isle of Skye" (2013)
Austria Großglocknerhochalpenstrasse (2012)
Alba "Spittal of Glenshee" (2011)

rolf.soler

Zitat von: odeon8 am 06 September 2010, 15:38:05
Are there other areas where the same thing is happening? Where English terms have overwritten the German to the point where German is no longer accepted/understood?

Aber sicher. In der Medizin. Wenn der patient eine ausgeprägte non-compliance an den Tag legt ist der clinical endpoint deutlich schlechter, wobei durch managed care systeme doch ein deutlicher benefit erreicht werden kann.
Na ja, zum teil wird dadurch wenigstens nur Latein ersetzt  ;D

† odeon8

It´s nice to be a Preiß -
but it´s higher to be a Bayer !

;D Thomas

cledrera

Brief eines Bayern an die NASA:

Greets God
I write you, because you must help me. I have seen your space shuttle in the televison, in color. And so came me the idea to make holidays in the world-room. Alone. Without my crazy wife.
I am the Kraxelhuber. The king of bavaria was my clock-clock grandfather.
I stand on a very bad foot with my wife. Always she shouts with me. She has a shrill voice like a circle saw. She lets no good hair at me. She says I am a schlapp-tail. She wants to become bürgermaster. But I want not to be bürgermaster, cause I have nothing at the hat with the political shit. I want my ruah.
And so I want make holidays on the moon. Without my bad half. But I take my dog with me. He is a boxer. His name is wurstl.
So I want book a flight in youre next space shuttle. But please, give me not a window place. I would kotz you the rocket full, because I am not swindlefree. And no standingplace please.
And lease, do not tell my wife that I want go alone. She has a big schrotgun. She would make a sieve from my ass.
A nice double-room with bath and klo and heating. And windows with lokk to the earth. So I can look through my farglases an see my wife working on the potatoe field. And I and my dog laugh us a branch. We will kringel ourself.

With friendly servus

Franz`l

Du bist im Recht; nun sieh zu, wie du da wieder heraus kommst. (v. Chamisso)
Lieber Einzylinder als zwei Fallschirme (v. mir)

schraubenkoenig

Zitat von: odeon8 am 07 September 2010, 08:21:52
It´s nice to be a Preiß -
but it´s higher to be a Bayer !

;D Thomas

but se heiest sing dett juh känn denk-

is tu bie än unnerrrfränk !

wuhahaha :applaus:

Hauptmenü

Anleitungen & Bücher Baureihe Specials Startseite Vergleichsliste

Presse & Wissen

Bauzeiten & Stückzahlen Historisches Liste der BMW Modelle Presseberichte Prospekte & Plakate

Foren & Literatur

Bildergalerie Bildtafel-Suche Forum: Boxerforum Handbücher Servicedaten

Allgemeine Infos

Bildtafelsuche Glossar Impressum Kontakt Sitemap

Tipps & Service

Dienstleister Händler Märkte & Museen Tipps Verschleißteile & Werkzeuge