Tire sizes

Begonnen von Garnet Grylls, 28 Januar 2006, 03:37:04

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Garnet Grylls

Good Morning Thumpers

Does anyone know the outside diameter and tread width of the 3.25 x 18 & 3.50 x 18 Metzler tires?  On the Metzler website I can only find 4.00 x 18 listings.  ???

In Canada these sizes are only available from China :(. I currently have Kenda brand on my 250 and them seem to be OK. They are so cheap  :D that they can be replaced every 2 years evan though they are not worn. I have Bridgestones on my twin but they are too big and give me too tall gearing and not enough revs.  :-[

I am trying to decide if I should import some Metzlers from Germany or get some more rice tires. No need for chains as we only have rain here. ;)

Garnet

Garnet Grylls

† odeon8

Good Morning, My Insanity Manager  ;D,

found a list in my archive, look here:

Have fun !
HUBRAUMISTDURCHNIXZUERSETZENAUSSERDURCHNOCHMEHRHUBRAUM

Rütz

Hi Garnet,

i would not try to import the original Metzeler Block C tyres from Germany. Though still available, their quality is horrible today (and probably made in China).

Good quality, made in Germany (though "dark" gemany ;D) you may get here:
http://www.reifenwerk-heidenau.de/produkte.html

In this thread you can see some Pics of the three most frequently (estimated) used tyres (Heidenau, Metzeler, Michelin) for our bikes in Germany:
http://www.bmw-einzylinder.de/forum/index.php?topic=1518.0

@Thomas: Hey, eine super Liste. Vor allem deutlich realistischer als die interne des Geardata Programms.

Anselm
I never dared to be radical when young.
For fear it would make me conservative when old. (Robert Frost)

Garnet Grylls

Hey Thomas & Anselm,
Thanks for your answers. I have not been feeling well the last few days  :kotz: AND I am in the middle of a big project at work so have had no time for the computor.

The tire abrollumfang chart is very helpfull ;D but many trie manufacuters' have slightly differnet specs. For example a Metzler ME77 4.00x18 has a diameter of 667mm or 2094 circumrance. The Bridgstone AC02 4.00x18 on my twin has a D of 673mm or a C of 2113. The chart indicates that they should be 2026. :-\\.

Thanks for the recomendation of Heidenau Tireworks. I have found their site before but it is good to know that they build good quality.
Time for me for hot rum :) and sleep :schlaf:.

Garnet

Rütz

Hi Garnet,

i think the purpose of the tyre manufacturer values is to estimate whether a certain tyre will fit to the bike (i.e. space to mudgard or forks). Their circumference values are just calculated from the max. diameter (667 x pi = 2094).

"Abrollumfang" rather means "effective rolling circumference" and is for calibrating the speedometer or calculating overall transmission. It can't be calculated from the diameter, but has to be measured on the road or a simulating test-bench.
It takes into account the tyre distorsion upon load.

Good health !

Anselm
I never dared to be radical when young.
For fear it would make me conservative when old. (Robert Frost)