1958 R26 exhaust mount problem.

Begonnen von bwprice100, 24 November 2016, 16:04:05

« vorheriges - nächstes »

bwprice100

Hi all

Just as one problem is solved another one is revealed.

I am know trying to mount the exhaust pipe (Krümmer) and I have experienced a problem. I posted some pictures here.
https://goo.gl/photos/QHTNmDE36HXeFQ2h6

Hopefully you can see that the clamp, Item 18 in the following diagram, is much too low. The pipe (Krümmer) can't go any higher because it will hit the foot rest.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0T14-EUR-02-1958-T26-BMW-R26&diagId=18_0358

I suspect that item 14 may be wrong and it may be for an R27.

What do you think and does anybody have a picture of their R26 they could share.

Thanks in advance Brian

bwprice100

4Taktix

Hi Brian,
did you start mounting the pipe with the sleeve-nut to the head, tension-free ?
You should do so, without muffler, then check, where it is pointing to and if there is any change on the gap between the bracket (14) and the clamp (18).
In general the bracket (14) for R26 is shaped as shown, not sure if there are any slight differences in similar looking brackets of other models.
If you still have the gap then, I'd put the required number of washers in between, or make a fitting bush on a lathe or so.
It's crucial to have the whole exhaust tension-free, when mounted.
If you don't like the "washer-solution", you could also do it the hard way and use a torch and modify the pipe-bending to match the bracket.
But then you could have troubles on mounting the muffler, so be aware, that that can become a long story then.
It's probably easier, to make a matching bracket on your own then.
Regards,
Sascha

Think outside the box !

OldsCool!

Hi Brian, on my R26 I had a similar issue. I just filled the gap with one or two washers as proposed by Sascha. But I think my gap was not that big.

BR

Steffen
Ich bin auf dem Dorf aufgewachsen. Ich wurde nicht erzogen, ich habe ÜBERLEBT!

bwprice100

Zitat von: 4Taktix am 24 November 2016, 17:02:24
Hi Brian,
did you start mounting the pipe with the sleeve-nut to the head, tension-free ?
You should do so, without muffler, then check, where it is pointing to and if there is any change on the gap between the bracket (14) and the clamp (18).

Thanks for the reply Sascha

Yes the pipe is loose as well as the muffler. The pipe can;t go any higher as it is very close to the underneath of the foot rest bracket

In general the bracket (14) for R26 is shaped as shown, not sure if there are any slight differences in similar looking brackets of other models.

Thanks for that, I am suspicious because the R26 and R27 have different part numbers but I am also not sure what the difference is.

If you still have the gap then, I'd put the required number of washers in between, or make a fitting bush on a lathe or so.

Yes I have thought of making a bush on my lathe but I would like to keep it standard if possible.

It's crucial to have the whole exhaust tension-free, when mounted.
If you don't like the "washer-solution", you could also do it the hard way and use a torch and modify the pipe-bending to match the bracket.
But then you could have troubles on mounting the muffler, so be aware, that that can become a long story then.

I dont think bending the pipe is an option as it would foul the footrest bracket and the pipe is brand new as well.

It's probably easier, to make a matching bracket on your own then.
Regards,
Sascha

Yes that is another option.

Thanks again for your input. :)

Brian

bwprice100

Zitat von: OldsCool! am 24 November 2016, 17:14:28
Hi Brian, on my R26 I had a similar issue. I just filled the gap with one or two washers as proposed by Sascha. But I think my gap was not that big.

BR

Steffen

Thanks Steffen, yes that may be a simple solution but I always like to know what the root problem is so if i have an option make standard I know what to do, even at a latter date. :)

Brian

Rütz

Hi Brian,
maybee your "Exhaust support" (#14) ist from R25/3.
These parts are very similar, but slightly differ in height and length.

https://www.rabenbauer.com/onlineshop/18/0/4158/kruemmerhalter_r26.html
https://www.rabenbauer.com/onlineshop/18/0/4157/kruemmerhalter_r25_3.html
I never dared to be radical when young.
For fear it would make me conservative when old. (Robert Frost)

bwprice100

Zitat von: Rütz am 24 November 2016, 19:33:49
Hi Brian,
maybee your "Exhaust support" (#14) ist from R25/3.
These parts are very similar, but slightly differ in height and length.

https://www.rabenbauer.com/onlineshop/18/0/4158/kruemmerhalter_r26.html
https://www.rabenbauer.com/onlineshop/18/0/4157/kruemmerhalter_r25_3.html

Thanks you Rütz, I am also thinking that this part is wrong.

Brian

bwprice100

Sorry everybody but there was a small typo in the title of this post.

My bike is an R26 and not an R25 (I have edited the title)

Thanks Brian

Dappsull

Brian, one question: is your exhaust support the correct one? The drawing seems to provide two variants, numbers 24 (which, I know, is for the R27), and number 14 (which might be for the R26?). The one in your picture looks quite different, though not well visible.
cheers D.

bwprice100

Zitat von: Dappsull am 25 November 2016, 08:00:37
Brian, one question: is your exhaust support the correct one? The drawing seems to provide two variants, numbers 24 (which, I know, is for the R27), and number 14 (which might be for the R26?). The one in your picture looks quite different, though not well visible.
cheers D.

Thanks for that D.

I am starting to come to the conclusion that Item 14 is wrong but I think Item 24 is specific to the R27 and sits much further forward.

I was sent this picture by Heinz from Ulis and seem to show what could explain the problem as the R26 bracket sits higher, although at first glance they look the same (The R26 one is at the top of the picture).
https://goo.gl/photos/zgrzCC2LmFo5bW8r7

I think I am going to make a spacer on my lathe and fit it, for the time being and at a latter date fit the correct bracket.

Thanks to all Brian

Dappsull

Good luck! I'm not sure, but according to the drawings it looks as if the R26 carrier is mounted in line with the exhaust, while for the R25 it seems to be at 90deg. Maybe someone with an R26 can tell you more or even provide a picture - I don't have access to an R26.
Cheers

rolf

Hey Brian,
the exhaust support (25/3<->26) are slightly different....but this is not your problem....you need another clamp(?) , number 18 from Ulis site
I hope you see the difference

bwprice100

Zitat von: Dappsull am 25 November 2016, 11:12:40
Good luck! I'm not sure, but according to the drawings it looks as if the R26 carrier is mounted in line with the exhaust, while for the R25 it seems to be at 90deg. Maybe someone with an R26 can tell you more or even provide a picture - I don't have access to an R26.
Cheers
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

bwprice100

Zitat von: rolf am 25 November 2016, 19:25:24
Hey Brian,
the exhaust support (25/3<->26) are slightly different....but this is not your problem....you need another clamp(?) , number 18 from Ulis site
Thank you Rolf.

I will look latter.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

bwprice100

Zitat von: rolf am 25 November 2016, 19:25:24
Hey Brian,

Back from watching my Granddaughter at her swimming lesson. :)

That would certainly solve the problem but I can't find that part on Ulis site, do you have a link?

Thanks Brian

rolf

Rabenbauer....and clamp for the R26

Rütz

Rolf, i'm not sure about the shape, isn't it vice versa?
R27 clamp is slightly asymmetric, the R26 clamp is symmetric?
R26-Schelle
R27-Schelle

rolf

Anselm...ich verstehe die Frage nicht.
Bei Rabenbauer habe ich immer eine Warnung "Malware"

bwprice100

Thanks to all for the help and advice.

I think I know what is wrong now but for the time being I am going to make a spacer so I can progress and next week I will order a different bracket.

Thanks Brian

Rütz

Zitat von: rolf am 26 November 2016, 12:49:06
Anselm...ich verstehe die Frage nicht.
Bei Rabenbauer habe ich immer eine Warnung "Malware"
Komisch... habe die Links nochmal anders formatiert.

Ich dachte halt eigentlich, daß umgekehrt ist. Also daß die mittlere in deiner Zeichnung R26 und die untere (unsymmetrisch) R27 ist. Bei Rabenbauer sieht es zumindest so aus. :-\\

Dappsull

Brian,

I found this picture in an old book, which shows a bit, how the exhaust is mounted on the R26. Maybe it helps.

Cheers
Dappsull

bwprice100

Thanks Dappsull

I have looked at loads of pictures but I still think the bracket that comes out from under the engine is the wrong one. It came with a box of bits I acquired, so I don't think it is correct.

Brian

Dappsull

Fully agree - was my first impression, too.

bwprice100

Well I am puzzled but happy. :)

I managed to order a new bracket from Ulis and I have fitted it to the bike and it is exactly the same as the one I already have and the gap is still there.
I have made a nice spacer from stainless steel and all looks fine.

https://goo.gl/photos/svsaEqYpC6ZPZXa99

All pictures here.
https://goo.gl/photos/QHTNmDE36HXeFQ2h6

Thanks for all your help and hope you all had a good Christmas and I wish you all the best for the New Year and hopefully see some of you soon.

Brian

rolf

bwprice100

Zitat von: rolf am 29 Dezember 2016, 17:33:46
it is the same (wrong) clamp

:)

It was supplied from Uli's as the one for the my R26.

I'm happy though.
:)

rolf

But not the same as in my Drawing....but when Uli says... ;D

Andre.Hubein

Seltsam!
Auf Dappsuls Bildern scheint der Auspuffflansch nach unten geneigt zu sein!?
Gruss
Andre'