Engine Oil - ZDDP

Begonnen von Kurt in S.A., 27 September 2014, 03:15:52

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Kurt in S.A.

Probably not the right place to discuss, but I thought I'd ask for the European thoughts on oil and additives.  Here in the US, we (maybe only some, or maybe only me!!) worry about using an oil with proper amounts of ZDDP (zinc and phosphorus) as an additive.  API ratings of SG were known to have good levels of this additive but levels were reduced due to problems with clogging catalytic convertors on cars...but there are none on bikes.  Older engines, flat tappet engines, really do need this compound, in my opinion.  I even sent about 20 different oils off to a oil testing lab to determine what the levels were.

Do Europeans worry about this at all?  Is the oil used over there better than what we use?  Have they maintained proper levels of additives to protect older engines?

BTW...Porsche just introduced a new Classic Oil 20w50 that is supposed to be the best for their engines, like 916, etc.  But Porsche is not telling anyone what is in the oil.  So, we're sending off a sample for testing.

Anyway, the discussion here is that only the US cares about what's in their oil.  What goes on in Europe?

Thanks...Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

Kurt in S.A.

Kurt in S.A.

berndr253

The reduction of the wear out diminishing components (zinc-di-tio-phosphate and others) is compensates with other chemicals. So don't worry about using "modern" oils in you BMW.
To push up knowledge about oils and these things have a look to:

http://www.amazon.com/Which-Oil-Choosing-greases-collector/dp/1845843657

Hope this helps - very best regards

Bernd
Leben und Leben lassen

Rütz

Zitat von: Kurt in S.A. am 27 September 2014, 03:15:52
Anyway, the discussion here is that only the US cares about what's in their oil.  What goes on in Europe?
This (zink, phosphorus, Europe vs. US) is actually a topic in that book, which bernd stated.

There seem to bee two reasons:
1. Psychologic, conspiratorial:
European customers (especially germans ;D) are typically suspicious against additives.
They are always looking for oil without or less additives.

2. Rational:
Europe is until now not affected by the lower phosporus level ind US oils.
The lower phosporus level was introduced with spec. "API SM", but this and later API specc. were not adopted in europe anymore.
We now have standard oils with normal phosphorus level: ACEA-A# (related to API SL), ACEA-B# (API C*)
and special low phosphorus "catalyst-oils", ACEA-C#(~API SM an later); but these are really special an only recomended for specifically designed engines.
I never dared to be radical when young.
For fear it would make me conservative when old. (Robert Frost)

Kurt in S.A.

I've ordered the book and will get "educated"!

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.