Filter Maintenance R25/2

Begonnen von Kurt in S.A., 26 November 2011, 00:02:19

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Kurt in S.A.

It looks like the R27 came out with the paper filter and I've read that can be retrofitted back to the R26.  What about the "rock strainer" air filter on the R25/2?  I haven't done much with mine since I got my bike.  I haven't ridden in any very dusty situations or when it was raining, etc.  I just read my small owners manual and it does say to clean it, dry it, and then moisten with engine oil slinging off the excess.  How important is doing this?  I'm probably going out for a short spin around the area this weekend...maybe I'd better do a little maintenance before??

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

Kurt in S.A.

Kurt in S.A.

euro518

Hi Kurt. I just cleaned my 'rockstrainer' after a summers worth of riding and surprisingly it was somewhat dirty. That is, I rinsed it with mineral spirits and there was dirt present. I did the same at the start of the summer and coated the mesh with oil (lightly). I don't believe I rode in dusty conditions either (and the air is quite clean here in western Canada).

Kevin

Kurt in S.A.

Thanks, Kevin.  I'll git 'r done!

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

Kurt in S.A.

I thought it would come completely apart but apparently not.  I've run some brake cleaner throught the mesh...it was somewhat dirty.  As for putting oil back on it, how is that done?  It's not easy to get in through the vaned opening and I don't want to get too much in there.  I'll let it drip over time and let as much as possible drip out.

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

BenW

Zitat von: Kurt in S.A. am 26 November 2011, 21:39:51
I thought it would come completely apart but apparently not.  I've run some brake cleaner throught the mesh...it was somewhat dirty.  As for putting oil back on it, how is that done?  It's not easy to get in through the vaned opening and I don't want to get too much in there.  I'll let it drip over time and let as much as possible drip out.

The easiest way to get the oil onto the mesh is to pour on a mixture of gasoline and engine oil (10 parts gasoline, 1 part oil). The gasoline will eventually evaporate, leaving the mesh nicely covered in oil.

Thanks to Rolf for this information:
http://bmw-einzylinder.de/forum/index.php?topic=8370.msg109398#msg109398.

Cheers,
BenW

Kurt in S.A.

I can do that!  Thanks...

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

euro518

Rolf's method is good. I've used an atomizer (or my version of one) to get the oil in but mixing the oil with gasoline is quicker and with a more equal distribution. If you do just add oil then set the air cleaner in the sun to speed the 'drip through' of excess oil.

Enjoy your ride!

Kevin

Kurt in S.A.

Done...waiting for drip-dry.  Sunny here, but not so warm...got a cold blast from north of the border!   :kopfhau:

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.