Replace the valves!!!

Begonnen von Manifesto1984, 08 November 2011, 19:42:41

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Manifesto1984

Hello!

I'm interest to replace the valves of my BMW R26.
The type of the old valves was Langen Keil.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/2453/ventil1.png

It's important to put the same type of valves?
Which is the different between these three types?
If i put kurzen keil valves i will have a problem with the operation of engine?
What other parts it's impossimple to replace? (Valve wedge? Valve spring top plate? Valve spring outside? Valve spring inside?)

Thank you.

Manifesto1984

Taz

Hi.

Basically you can install any kind of valves, even use different cotter types on intake and exhaust valves...the important thing is to never, never mix up valve, wedges and top plate from different types on one valve set-this would indeed cause serious trouble!

The values are only complete in the German part of the table...please accept my apologies :kopfhau:

Best regards, Taz
Ich hab noch nie einen Sarkasmus vorgetäuscht

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)
Cymru "Radnor Revivals" (2016)
Alba "Isle of Skye" (2013)
Austria Großglocknerhochalpenstrasse (2012)
Alba "Spittal of Glenshee" (2011)

Manifesto1984

I thing with langen keil valves, the springs are getting more pressure than kurzen keil valves.
Maybe i will have a problem with operation and the adjust valves.

Is this possible?

Thank you.

Taz

Hi.

Nope...my understanding is that the springs get pretty much the same pressure, no matter which wedge system is used...the top spring plate of the "lange Keile" system is "deeper" than the one used for the "kurze Keile".

So if your valves and wedges are of the "kurz" system, but the top spring plate belongs to a "lang" system, there's even less pressure on the springs than intended...and besides, the rockers will contact the top spring plate even before the valve head itself, resulting in an engine reminding of a rattle snake on speed ;D

If it's the other way round ("lang" valve and wedges, "kurz" top spring plate) your objection is right...this will result is higher base pressure on the springs and lead to higher wear and tear on the complete valve system right down to the camshaft.

So...take care to use proper combinations of valve-wedges-top spring plates and your machine won't have any issues from these parts...

Best regards, Taz
Ich hab noch nie einen Sarkasmus vorgetäuscht

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)
Cymru "Radnor Revivals" (2016)
Alba "Isle of Skye" (2013)
Austria Großglocknerhochalpenstrasse (2012)
Alba "Spittal of Glenshee" (2011)

Kurt in S.A.

Is there an option to use rotating valves?  I recall that early valves on the twins didn't rotate which might contribute to early valve and seat wear.  Later, different stems and keepers were used which promoted rotation of the valve during actuation.

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.