Bing repair

Begonnen von opus, 09 März 2008, 10:59:02

« vorheriges - nächstes »

opus

Hello

I have a Bing 1/22/44 carb. It leaks from the air screw. I think that the problem is that the floater does not close right. Can this problem be solved ?

jesper

opus

Taz

Hello Jesper.

If the floater really would be the problem checking ist easy....
a) does it really float (don't laugh...the one in my carb did sink like a stone...more leaks than you can ever imagine, so a lot of gas got inside and then it became too heavy)
b) does the needle really stop the gas from below? Depending on the age of the carb and the amount of old residues down there it might not be able to even if the floater is ok...so checking and cleaning would be the next tasks (baking powder and hot water have been proven to be very helpful here).

Best regards, Tas
Ich hab noch nie einen Sarkasmus vorgetäuscht

auf Tour:

Zipfelreise (2019)
Cymru "Radnor Revivals" (2016)
Alba "Isle of Skye" (2013)
Austria Großglocknerhochalpenstrasse (2012)
Alba "Spittal of Glenshee" (2011)

rolf

Yes, of course.
The function of the air screw is to let the gasoline flowing outside (otherwise it flows into the cylinder).
You have to grind(?) the floaterneedle in to her seat.
You can use "Zahnpasta"...the thing you put on your toothbrush (I hope ;D) before you start to brush your teeth.
Rolf

Ben Friedl

As Tas said the float has to float otherwise you will never fix the problem. And as Rolf said you can try and lap the float needle to it's seat again. If the tooth paste is not effective enough you can try and use some fine grade lapping compound that you would use to lap the valves into the cylinder head. Be gentle and just use your fingers to rotate the needle back and forth. And most importantly if you use the lapping paste, you must clean the carby out PERFECTLY, you don't want even a small amount of that stuff getting into your engine.

opus

Thanks for your answers.

I thought that I could replace the brass fitting. Is this possible ?
I have tried to grind without any luck.
I think the brass fitting is worn out.

Jesper