R25/0. Problems at top speed. New capacitor?

Begonnen von krhoff, 14 Mai 2017, 23:17:58

« vorheriges - nächstes »

krhoff

Hi guys,

I went out on a ride today on my R25/0 and unfortunately experienced some problems. I hope that you can help me identify the cause.

It was my first ride on the highway this year, and after 1-2 min. on the highway at full speed (approx. 90 km/h) the red light (no charge) came on, and the engine power was gradually lost over around 30 s. I had to stop in the emergency lane and the engine died. However, I managed to get the bike started again and got home using smaller roads (less than 60 km/h). During the way home I could feel that I had to keep the revs up during idle to keep the engine running. When I got home I got confirmed that the engine could not keep the idle. Actually, I could not even start it again afterwards.

There is full power on the headlight, so it is not a battery issue.

As mentioned, it was my first time on the highway this year. I have been riding problem-free at speeds, say, below 70 km/h several times this year.

Could my problem be due to a bad "Zündkondensator", similar to this problem http://bmw-einzylinder.de/forum/index.php?topic=15311.msg213561?

Thanks in advance! :)

krhoff

† Oldtimerfahrer

Hello, you may have two problems.
There is a dripping-out of a filament and a carburettor.
I would first dismantle the carburettor / clean and the pressure of the generator carbon check.

Greeting Rudi

Write with Google Translator  ;)
2011 Schottland I 2012 Großglockner-Hochalpenstraße I 2013 Schottland I 2014 Lettland/Litauen I 2017 Südengland

4Taktix

a bad capacitor ("Zündkondensator") does not cause the red generator light to light up for usual.
To me your symptoms sound like a lose cable or a temporary shortcut or interruption somewhere.
This can be heat- or vibration-related.
I'd first check, if the "ignition-pin" pushes the 2 brass-contacts tightly together.
You can see that if you remove the headlamp-reflector. Or just simply drive until the symtoms occurr again and push the key down. better ?
You could also bridge the ingnition-contacts with a wire and do a highway-testride then.
2nd you could try and remove the generator-cap before you do a hard testride. If the problem is heat related, you will probably go farther/longer then.
Also check all your connections to ground (Battery, Gearhousing, Lamphousing to frame. ) These are often unattended. So simple but can cause loads of troubles.
Keep us updated.
Regards,
Sascha
Think outside the box !

krhoff

Thank you for your input. :)

I will try to remove the generator-cap and, at least initially, make a visual inspection. I will also check the basic electrical wiring.

I forgot to mention that the red generator light was off when I afterwards drove home at lower speeds. Could the red light not simply be caused by the high speeds on the highway, i.e. that the generated voltage becomes too high and the voltage regulator cuts the current to the battery?

I will keep you updated.

krhoff

The status:

I first tried to start the engine. It was difficult, yet possible, but it would not idle - I had to keep the revs up to keep it running.

I removed the generator cap. Everything seems okay.

I removed the headlamp-reflector. I made a better mount of the bulb for the red generator light - it was a bit loose. I also took a feeler gauge back and fourth between the two brass-contacts, to remove any dirt etc. Finally, I will from now on use my spare key, since it seems to have a slightly larger diameter and therefore has a more "tight" fit on the lock.

Afterwards I was able to start the engine, and it could idle, but just barely.

I will do a test run on the highway later this week, pushing the key down if I get problems. I will keep you updated.

Thanks. :)

PS. Rudi: What do you mean by "dripping-out of a filament"? Maybe you can write the sentences in German? I can understand basic German. :)

† Oldtimerfahrer

Moin,
das war es was ich geschrieben hatte:

Hallo, du hast eventuell zwei Probleme.
Tanzende Lichtmaschinenkohle und am Vergaser ist irgendwo eine Düse verdreckt.
Ich würde erstmal den Vergaser zerlegen/ reinigen und den Druck der Lichtmaschinenkohle überprüfen.

Gruß Rudi

Gruß Rudi
2011 Schottland I 2012 Großglockner-Hochalpenstraße I 2013 Schottland I 2014 Lettland/Litauen I 2017 Südengland

krhoff

† Oldtimerfahrer

4Taktix

Important hint: If you connect the brass ignition contacts with a wire, be aware that your coil might get hot if you don't start the engine straight away,
depending if the points are open or closed. Same after stopping the engine !
Regards,
Sascha
Think outside the box !