Scottish terminal plate question

Begonnen von † Norrie, 17 Juli 2016, 22:22:27

« vorheriges - nächstes »

† Norrie

Greetings from Scotland

It looks like Brian and I are racing towards the same finishing line trying to overcome wiring issues. Best of luck Brian with your R26 and I look forward to seeing the finished product next month in Wales.  :bike:

I am in the process of rewiring my R25/3 which is going reasonably well although it is blowing fuses when the lights are switch on - I'm working on it but I am open to suggestions. The question I have at the moment relates to the white wire on the underside (nearest the headlight shell) of connection 31 of the terminal plate (see photo) - where does it go?

Best wishes  :respekt:

Norrie     

† Norrie

bwprice100

Hi Norrie

I'm getting fed up of spending money. :(

According to the wiring diagram I have there are two white wires; one is terminal 31 and looks like the earth for the headlight and the other is 56 which looks like the feed to the handle bar dip switch.

I hope this helps

Brian

www.eBolt.co.uk www.ToolroomChucks.co.uk

mekgyver

Hi Guys,
everytimes the terminal 31 goes to ground , chassis, motor&gearbox-case, normally with electrical rules in brown color.
i think the white wire goes to lamps-housing.

Norrie, am i right in thinking, that my repaired generator is not in use until yet ?

kindly regards, mek  :schrauber:
... 73er-Gang

cledrera

Hi Norrie,
take a look:

Diagramm of wiring

By the way: Paint it yellow.  ;D
Du bist im Recht; nun sieh zu, wie du da wieder heraus kommst. (v. Chamisso)
Lieber Einzylinder als zwei Fallschirme (v. mir)

† Will

Zitat von: cledrera am 17 Juli 2016, 23:31:52
By the way: Paint it yellow.  ;D
Yellow cable is available in UK without painting. Yellow cable is also available in a range of other colours. :lol:

Today I start work again on Lottie ready for the Cymru adventure. :bike:
R25/3 + R65LS. The R27 has found a new home.
I was not lost, my GPS just found a different way back.

cledrera

Du bist im Recht; nun sieh zu, wie du da wieder heraus kommst. (v. Chamisso)
Lieber Einzylinder als zwei Fallschirme (v. mir)

† Norrie

Hi Folks

I know the feeling Brian - I am sure it would have been cheaper building a 'Back to the Future' Delorean and traveling to 1955 to buy a new R25/3 than renovating one that came form a South African skip! But there is nothing I would rather be doing and I have enjoyed 99% of the process and have met some great people along the way  :respekt:.

Thanks all for the advice. The white cable has a home now but sadly I can't get the yellow paint to stick to the insulation Celedrera  :lol:

You are correct Mek that your repaired generator is only likely to see use this summer - there have been too many other 'have to do things' going on in my life which kept me from my garage. For a while it sat on the shelve encouraging me as the only functioning part of the machine. Hugely appreciate your help  :prost:.   

Unfortunately the fuse blowing problem persists (15Amp on the + side) and I have checked all the connections with the many wiring diagrams I have. I have neutral and generator lights on with the key in place but as soon as I turn the key left or right the fuse blows. It must be a major short for this to happen but I don't know where to look next. I may have to take the terminal plate out the headlight but am reluctant to bend the taps too often if not necessary. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.
On Mek's repaired generator I had fitted a replacement contact plate which left terminal 31 isolated from the generator body. As a result I have earthed the brown wire that goes to the headlight terminal plate onto one of the three bolts which holds the stator to the crankcase - is this ok or do I need another earth? See photo.
I also fitted the blue wire from generator 61 directly onto the red charging light as I don't have a 61 connection on the headlight terminal plate.

Many thanks for your help and I hope you are all enjoying a good summer.  :bike:

Norrie         

bwprice100

Hi Norrie
Did you sort the problem of fuses blowing.
I had two similar problems on my R26.

Brian

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

† Norrie

Hi Brian
Hope you are well.
Firstly many congratulations on getting the R26 running  - beautiful video clip - very satisfying I am sure.  :respekt:

My R25/3 has a later speedometer (presumably from a twin) with a trip meter. In the absence of a correct speedo I thought it a nice idea to retain the trip and get this instrument calibrated to suit the R25/3. Having had this done the trip does not work so I will need to find a more competent repairer. With this instrument the internal light is on the top of the rear casing and when the headlight is installed the spring clip that holds the bulb holder onto the back of the reflector touches the bulb holder shorting it out when the lights are switched on  :kopfhau: 
The spring clip currently has a thick layer of insulating tape protecting the circuit until I can figure out a more elegant solution.

My R25/3 has now done nearly 70 miles and is fun! Albeit slowly as it needs run it and still very much in the shake down phase of the refurbishment. Interesting rattle/vibration (from somewhere - possibly exhaust or front mudguard) on the overrun and the charge light came on after the first 10miles. Have run it on the battery since but will explore the charging system further soon.

Best wishes
Norrie   

bwprice100

Thanks for that Norrie

Looks like I had a similar problem with the fuse blowing. I have fitted a pattern speedo (made in India) and the feed to the speedo bulb holder was shorting on the headlight shell and blowing the fuse. I also had a problem with the plastic washer in the ignition switch not being fitted properly and hence when the headlight was switched on the whole headlight shell became live. Both problems now sorted.

I down with a bad chect cold so things are on hold for a while.

Brian