spacer washer on drive shaft ?

Begonnen von kk rider, 06 Juli 2016, 16:55:17

« vorheriges - nächstes »

kk rider

dear all

i appreciate if someone could help and advise me for my R26 .
it is about the distance between the output flange and drive shaft flange and its adjustment by the spacer washer( please see the first picture ).

the manual says
" the distance between output shaft coupling flange and that of the universal shaft be checked , which must be 30+1.5mm  "

when i checked the distance on my R26 ,  it was  in 33.5mm .........  2mm bigger .
so i believed i could  adjust  the distance into 31.5 mm by changing the spacer washer ( please see the second picture , it is a part  No. 3 ).
( this spacer washer is available in 3 thicknesses , 1mm , 2mm , 3mm )

but when i disassembled the drive shaft flange   , i found 3mm spacer washer was used on the shaft .
well, 3mm spacer washer is the thickest one from the available spacer washers .
( i originally guessed that it must had got 1mm spacer washer and i could change it into 3mm one to sort the problem . but this guess was totally denied .)

the manual also says
"  If the distance must be corrected , insert a shim of appropriate thickness behind the coupling flange of the universal shaft  "
(  well i often get confused by the descriptions on the manual )
could i add an extra 2mm spacer washer  on top of the 3mm spacer washer to make the distance in 31.5mm ?

or should  the shaft have  a single space washer and should i suspect somewhere else like a worn coupling hub , bevel gear ........ ?

by the way what is the description [30 + 1.5 mm ]for ( i wonder why it isn't described as  31.5mm ) ?  also how important is the the distance ?

does anyone know how it should be or what  should i do as the solution  ?

regards

kei

kk rider

Rütz

Hi kei,
Zitatshould i suspect somewhere else like a worn coupling hub , bevel gear ........ ?
Not necessarily a worn coupling hub yet, but maybe worn rubber rings, which hold the coupling in its correct position and may cause wear if not renewed by time.
If you observed a change of the flange distance, it should definitly be checked.

Zitatby the way what is the description [30 + 1.5 mm ]for ( i wonder why it isn't described as  31.5mm ) ?  also how important is the the distance ?
It's a kind of "locksmith-german", meaning:
Distance must in any case be greater than 30 (otherwise flanges will "kiss" on full suspension, causing flange- or shaft breaking), but should not be greater than 31.5 to avoid to much stress on the pins.
I never dared to be radical when young.
For fear it would make me conservative when old. (Robert Frost)

rolf

When you measure ist....was the swing arm horizontally?

kk rider

hi Rütz

thank you for helping me again . i always  appreciate your advice .

sure,  there are 2 rubber rings on the front and rear of the coupling hub. i should suspect them first as you said.
anyway it is a good opportunity to change rubber stuffs.

to take off one of the rubber rings , i believe i have to unscrew the special splined nut (photo below , also it is indicated as 20 on the parts drawing ).
do i need a special tool to unscrew the nut , or  is there a Matra tool for it ?
also how much torque is required on the nut ?
( sorry , i couldn't find these info. on the manual )

thank you for explaining me the meaning of [30 +1.5mm] , it is very clear to me now ,lol. 

best

kei

kk rider

thank you ,Rolf

yes, i measured the distance when the 2 flanges were parallel  by lifting the swing arm at rear.

best

kei

rolf

hallo,
you can use a sharp screwdriver for turning the nut using it like a lever ....with help of the coupling flange tappets (?)....no torque necessary....you have to put a spline through it....so you must see a hole....having a torque it was a fortúne to see a hole

kk rider

thank you Rolf for your help again ,

sure ,i would try with a screwdriver . if i found it was difficult , then i will get the special tool from S.meyer as  i found they had one .

also i thank you for your advice about  the torque .
i guess what you mean is  i just tighten the splined nut till i could see the hole as i could put a split pin through the hole .
if it is wrong , please revise me .

regards

kei   

rolf

it is right....tighten as much as possible PLUS seeing a hole