R26 Restoration by new member from Australia

Begonnen von grahamjb, 01 Oktober 2017, 06:42:07

« vorheriges - nächstes »

grahamjb

Hi Guys
I have been reading through this forum and hopefully will be able to share my 1958 R26 restoration when I work out how to post images.

My R26 has been rebuilt before, has some dodgy frame repairs and is worn out so it will be a learning curve for me to restore it back to good working condition.

Is there any information on this forum on shock absorber rebuilding and frame dimensions?

Thanks
Graham

grahamjb

bwprice100

Hi Graham and welcome.

Looking forward to hearing your story.

I am just completing the rebuild of my R26 but I don't have any frame dimensions.
When you ask about suspension do you mean the damper cartridge?

Brian

Sent by me using tapety talky

grahamjb

Gidday Brian
Thank you for the welcome and your restoration is excellent, you must be pretty pleased with how your bike looks, you have done a fantastic job.

In answer to your question, yes, I was referring to the damper cartridge. Mine have leaked most of he oil out and I am hoping that there is a repair/rebuild kit available or a list of seals that can be used.

Cheers
Graham

bwprice100

I  did attempt rebuilding my dampers but gave up and bought some new ones as the rods were badly pitted. I have read that some people have had some success though.

Borgward

Hi Graham,
a warm welcome to down under!

posting pictures isn't that difficult:
* just click on "Anhänge und andere Optionen" (attachments and other options) below the text entry field
* then click on the button "Durchsuchen"(browse) below "Datei anhängen" and select the file with the picture you want to upload
* if you want to upload more than 1 picture (up to 6 are allowed ) just click on "mehr Dateianhänge" (more attachments) and proceed as before

note:
- the maximum size per file/picture is 1Mb
- all files uploaded to this forum must have a unique name; i.e. your upload will not be accepted if the filename already exists here.

cheers from Bavaria
Hubi

berndr253

Graham,
if I remember right you can add pictures to your messages after you have written more than 4 or 5 posts.

Bernd
Leben und Leben lassen

Karl

Zitat von: Borgward am 01 Oktober 2017, 10:07:59
posting pictures isn't that difficult:
* just click on "Anhänge und andere Optionen" (attachments and other options) below the text entry field [...]

Welcome to our forum, Graham  :applaus:

In case you want to change the forum-language (navigation-bars, buttons, ...) to "english", please click on "PROFIL" (upper navigation bar), then on "BENUTZERKONTO" (left navigation bar).
You will see a title "BEVORZUGTE SPRACHE" (preferred language). Click on the dropdown-menu and choose "ENGLISH".

Kind regards,
Karl
Support this Board: Wer das Forum unterstützen möchte, kann das gerne per PAYPAL machen. Und hier findet Ihr meine Amazon Wunschliste.

bwprice100

Graham I stole this from another forum.

================
Hello David and all,
        I have a R26 and have resotered all 4 shocks.

The top is a threaded "plug" that acts as the top and gasket holder all in one, once you unscrew the top you can pull out all the insides, wash and inspect them. You will find one conical spring above the piston and one cyclindrical spring below it. At the bottom end of the inside tube you will find a valve with a conical spring on top and a cylindrical spring below. All conical springs are identical. Two sizes of cylindrical springs. I had to have all of these springs made for me, I could not find them at any shop. I also had the main springs made for the front shocks. The sealing "O" rings and top gasket I bought at a industrial gasket shop (common off the shelf items). One of the pistons was cracked, I had a new one made by a machinist (lathe operator). I purchased shock absorber liquid, filled them and closed them.  The 4 shock absorbers work perfectly. Please not that the bike will not be raced nor driven wildly cross-country, it will be looked after. I live in Argentina and tu purchase any spares or new parts out of the country is usually prohibitivly expensive (as was the case of new shocks or cartriges), we earn low salaries and also a disvantageous exchange rate. so in Argentina it is relatively easy to find someone that can make spare parts at a very reasanable price. Make sure you put new rubber "bumpers" on the rod between the top holder and the cartrige so the piston will not hit the valve a the bottom when the shock is "bottomed out".

If you or any one is interrested in more about this re-doing, just let me know.

Cheers
Geoffrey
Argentina.
============

grahamjb

Thank you to all who have welcomed me to this forum and advised how to upload photos, it is appreciated  :)

Brian, can you please PM or email me with the contact details for Geoffrey in Argentina.

Can someone please advise if the steering friction damper bracket should be at the angle shown or should it line up with the centre line of the frame - see photo below.

I have also attached a couple of photos showing the poor welding frame repair found hidden under body filler near where the kick starter rubber attaches to the frame.

rolf

grahamjb

Thanks Rolf, being in line makes good engineering sense

Cheers
Graham

Borgward

w.r.t. the poor welding:
it's a kind of rated break point  ;D caused by the kick starter and /or the main stand. There are several approaches for a professional repair desribed in this forum. (keyword: "Rahmenbruch")  :schrauber:

cheers
Hubi

cledrera

G`Day Graham,
welcome to the forum of the Dags.  ;)
I`ll think you are the first member from Australia.  :prost:
Now we need an antarctic forumsmember an the long way around is completed.

Bye

Clemens
Du bist im Recht; nun sieh zu, wie du da wieder heraus kommst. (v. Chamisso)
Lieber Einzylinder als zwei Fallschirme (v. mir)

Heiko

Graham,

a warm welcome here.

Anyway does anybody know what is with Kiwi-Kai from New-Zealand?

Heiko

Ariel motorcycles... upon which the sun never sets.

rolf

No...leider...der war mal bei mir vor geraumer Zeit...dann noch PM's....dann Funkstille

grahamjb

Hubi - that makes sense because the frame has been squashed where the kick start rubber is fastened to the frame. I am having trouble finding any post that shows the preferred repair and will file down the welding and fill the squashed section of the frame with some bronze.

Heiko - Google tells me that Kiwi-Kai is a food store in New Zealand, does that answer your question?

Rolf - I don't fully understand your post and google translator doesn't make any sense.

Cheers
Graham

OldsCool!

Hey Graham, a warm welcome in this outstanding international community!

Here is a link describing the "pipe-in-pipe" method:

Sascha's repair

and here the method inserting some flat iron is described:

Krauthahn's repair

search-term in google: "rahmenbruch site:bmw-einzylinder.de"

My big respect that you will rework it and not just replace. Good luck, a lot of fun and keep it up!

with best regards,

Steffen
Ich bin auf dem Dorf aufgewachsen. Ich wurde nicht erzogen, ich habe ÜBERLEBT!

Borgward

and here is another approach by cutting off and replacing a small piece (45mm) of the frame:
http://bmw-einzylinder.de/forum/index.php?topic=8724.msg114075#msg114033

grahamjb

Thanks for the frame repair links OldsCool! and Borgward; it seems that these frames suffer from metal fatigue especially around where the engine mounting bolts go through the frame. I will examine my frame carefully and strengthen/repair if required. Luckily I have pretty good welding skills from restoring Vintage cars so it should not be a difficult job to do  :)

Where is the best place to buy restoration parts from such as bearings, frame rubbers, gaskets, engine and gearbox parts etc?

Thanks
Graham

Heiko

Zitat von: grahamjb am 03 Oktober 2017, 04:27:50

Heiko - Google tells me that Kiwi-Kai is a food store in New Zealand, does that answer your question?

Rolf - I don't fully understand your post and google translator doesn't make any sense.

Kiwi–Kai normally is a member of this Forum over 15 years now. He visited Rolf a few years ago but he wasnˋt present her after his journey to Gemany when i remember well.

Anyway glad to have a member here from Down Under now.  ;)

rolf

That was the translation of my threat ;D....not interesting for you.,...I think.....AND: no sense is normal for my threats ;D

Borgward

Borgward

regarding your question about spare part retailers you will get almost everything for your R26 from either one of the four main suppliers in Germany:

Ulis Motorradladen
http://www.ulismotorradladen.de/

Rabenbauer
http://www.rabenbauer.com/

Stemler
http://www.motorrad-stemler.de/

Omega Oldtimer
http://www.omega-oldtimer.de/

grahamjb

Bency71

Heiko

....but here it is an R 26 and not a F 650GS.

grahamjb

Brian
I read in one of your posts that you have fitted the sidecar rated springs to the rear of your bike. Can you please advise if possible how they compare to the original springs whilst riding.

I am thinking of doing the same as I weigh 110Kg and I feel that some beefier springs might be advantageous.

Graham

bwprice100

Zitat von: grahamjb am 24 Oktober 2017, 11:51:07
Brian
I read in one of your posts that you have fitted the sidecar rated springs to the rear of your bike. Can you please advise if possible how they compare to the original springs whilst riding.

I am thinking of doing the same as I weigh 110Kg and I feel that some beefier springs might be advantageous.

Graham

Hi Graham

Not having ridden it with the standard springs I can't make a proper comparison but the ride on the bike seems good with no bottoming out of the rear and not too harsh either.

I hope this helps

Brian

grahamjb

grahamjb

Haven't been doing much on the bike lately due to being away on holidays

However I have made a front shock absorber compressor by copying Brian's (from England) design - mine is not as fancy as Brians but does the job.