Further questions - 1958 R26 BING carburettor overhaul

Begonnen von bwprice100, 28 August 2016, 12:17:37

« vorheriges - nächstes »

bwprice100

Hi All

I wonder if you would be so kind as to help me sort out another issue on my Bing carburetor (type 122 - 1/26/46).

I am trying sort out what goes into the threaded hole marked in the attached picture (I have a threaded hex cover and gasket which screws into the hole) and also where do the parts in my hand go?

I have looked at various parts diagrams (I have many) and twice ordered parts from Ulis but I have still been unable to sort it out.

Thanks in advance Brian

bwprice100

Dappsull

The hole your pointer goes to is covered with a short hex screw with washer.
The parts you're holding are for idle adjustment, which would normally go into the hole, which in your case seems to be closed with a bolt (the one left of that springy thing).
http://www.kla-mot-te.de/images/BMW%20R%2026%201.JPG

Kurt in S.A.

Brian -

My understanding is all of those parts are associated with the threaded hole in the side of the carb...they appear to be exactly the same thing used on the carbs for the twins, like the R69S.  In my picture, I've labeled items 1 thru 4.  First, unscrew item 4 from the brass needle valve.  Then insert 1 into the carb threaded hole...the initial setting will be to lightly seat the needle valve into the carb seat, then back out 1-1/2 turns.  Next, slip 2 over the exposed threads of the needle valve.  Note that the end with the small hole in it should be farthest from the carb body.  Next, slip 3 over the exposed end of 3.  Finally, thread 4 onto the exposed end of the needle valve threads.

Without taking mine apart and from my memory, that should be the way it goes together.

Kurt
Kurt in S.A.

OldsCool!

Hi Brian,

Look at the picture below. There should be a different screw in the open hole as described by Dappsull, in fact only closing it with a sealing washer. The idle mixture screw in your hand goes indeed into the other hole blocked by a bolt already. There are two kinds of mixture screw setups. On my image it is a different one only with the threaded needle and a nut, without the other parts. Installation of your parts as described by Kurt.

First, get out that bolt on the left.

BR

Steffen
Ich bin auf dem Dorf aufgewachsen. Ich wurde nicht erzogen, ich habe ÜBERLEBT!

rolf

Clear enough?
Numbers from Kurt.

bwprice100

Thanks all, this is most helpful.

I have a few queries though:

When I place item 2 (in Kurt's diagram) it will not seat properly against the body of the carburetor, should it?

The other picture is of the part I had to remove.

The threaded hole (below the letter 'H' in the original photo) is a deep hole and is threaded far more than is needed for the hex cap that was fitted there, that is why I thought something else should go in that hole as well.
What does this hole give access too?

Thanks Brian

rolf

hen I place item 2 (in Kurt's diagram) it will not seat properly against the body of the carburetor, should it?

not necessary...you see the hole in the cap? that is for coming in air or getting out gasoline....so why should the part seat properly? ;)

second qiestion is not really clear (for me)....the thread is the same for all (!) varitions of srews (that with the spring was the last version....no counter nut (because you don't need it because of the spring),  no "labyrinth" for the fuel/air...the long version (you have bought) is for getting the fuel coming outside if the "schwimmer" doesn't work....otherwise ist will flow INTO the engine....so it can go outside

Dappsull

As far as I know the thread and hole below letter 'H' is either a remnant from old carburettor types or different carbs. 'H' refers to 'Hauptduese' (main jet). It is not used on the R2x and just needs to be airtight with the little hex screw and a washer.

OldsCool!

Hi Brian,

As said you are free to use either your new or the old spring - bolt mixture screw. Just need to close that other hole.

BR

Steffen
Ich bin auf dem Dorf aufgewachsen. Ich wurde nicht erzogen, ich habe ÜBERLEBT!

rolf

Klick! Now I see clear(ly now) ;D
Dappsuli was right....the hole under the "H" was only a hole ;D....Close it as he writes (it was for another Version....for "Schrägdüsenvergaser")

bwprice100

Thanks all, it is a lot clearer now. :)

I got sidetracked yesterday with my wife's birthday and I have a day with my grandaughter today but I will have a look this evening

Brian

www.eBolt.co.uk www.ToolroomChucks.co.uk