Misalignment - Clutch lever (Kupplungsausrückhebe)

Begonnen von krhoff, 16 Januar 2017, 19:34:49

« vorheriges - nächstes »

krhoff

Hi,

On my R25 there seems to be a misalignment between a "point" on the clutch lever and a "point" on the engine housing, see photo below. Is this something to worry about?

The clutch works fine at the moment.

krhoff

4Taktix

These points are intended to hold a thrust-spring in between. To support complete clutch and lever release.
Tipp: secure the spring with a zip-tie to the lever, so you wount loose it if your cable breaks on the way.
Displayed here: http://cms.bmw-einzylinder.de/index.php/literatur/bildtafel-suche.html   part # 28 in the lower right section.
Regards,
Sascha
Think outside the box !

Heiko

Yes,

there is a spring missing but adjust your clutch lever so that there is enough space for the spring and that your clutch is working more smoother.

Heiko
Ariel motorcycles... upon which the sun never sets.

OldsCool!

The lever is way too close to the housing. Adjust it in a way that the points are in line at some distance and the mentioned spring fits in between.

BR

Steffen
Ich bin auf dem Dorf aufgewachsen. Ich wurde nicht erzogen, ich habe ÜBERLEBT!

rolf

Steffen is right (you have to " mehr anziehen die Schraube ....UND... kontern mit einer Mutter"....my english wasn't enought good
....at this time))...AND....they never aligns at every point...short; it is ok (your misalignment)

† Will

If you cut the head off the bolt and file a square on the end of the bolt suitable for a small spanner you have more room for adjustment.
I posted a picture of my arrangement on here some time ago.
R25/3 + R65LS. The R27 has found a new home.
I was not lost, my GPS just found a different way back.

krhoff

I just tried to adjust the lever to get it away from the housing, using the mentioned bolt. I can get the lever a bit away, but due to the (maybe too short) length of the clutch cable, it will probably still give an "s-shaped" spring when I use the clutch. I will install a suitable spring in a few days and see what happens.

Thank you for your replies.

4Taktix

If the inner cable is long enough, you should shorten the ourter hull then to bring the lever further away.
The spring is about 3 to 4 cm long, so that a bit of misalignment doesn't matter.
If you want to have it "as new", you probably have to care for the bracket assembly, which connects the lever to the gearbox-lid.
Very often this is all worn out - the holes are oval and the bolts were groved from the bracket thrust - all together this is the rootcause for the misalignment.
So if it really matters to you, you can renew the assembly or fix the worn parts.
E.g. drill the holes bigger so that they are exactly round again and fill the groves in the bolts by welding and regrinding and make matching rings on a lathe.
Depending on your skills and equipment and/or preferences.
Keep us updated about your progress and don't hesitate to ask.
Cheers,
Sascha
Think outside the box !

krhoff

Yes, I think the inner cable is long enough. I guess I just need to shorten the hull by about 2 cm.

The misalignment on the photo is more or less only vertical and likely caused by the too long hull, but maybe this is difficult to see form the photo. By this, I mean that if the two "points" are 3 cm apart (as they apparently are meant to be) a straight line between them will be close to horisontal and parallel with the bike. I tested this by removing the cable end from the lever.

Regarding the actual state of the bracket assembly, there is very little play and it seems very solid to me. This is good, because I have no skills related to welding or working with a metal lathe. :)

I will post a reply when I have an update. Thank you Sascha.

Borgward

just my 2 cents:
you should shorten the hull as far as to get the ideal angle between clutch lever and the cable of 90 deg

krhoff

Zitat von: Borgward am 19 Januar 2017, 15:28:56
just my 2 cents:
you should shorten the hull as far as to get the ideal angle between clutch lever and the cable of 90 deg

Thanks, Borgward. That is great advice. :)

krhoff

Today I shortened the hull of the cable by about 2.5 cm. I managed to get an approx. 90 deg. angle between the lever and the cable, as per Borgward's advise. I still need to fit a small spring. See the attached photo.

The 90 deg. angle is when the bolt on the bracket just barely touches the end of the clutch rod, i.e. the clutch cable has very small tension. Is this the right setting? I imagine that this setting ensures full release of the clutch when it is not engaged, yet a sufficiently small "play" before the clutch actually engages.

The clutch actually seems a bit more soft/smooth now. I will test it on the road in spring.

Borgward

just perfect!
With the 90 deg angle you get the optimum lever arm i.e. you need less force to operate the clutch (as you already noticed)

cheers Borgward (also desperately waiting for spring)